1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. adoo

adoo Member

waiting for my favorite momentum stock to close the 218-232 gap before the early Dec ERS

[​IMG]

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

rip my calls :(

3. adoo

adoo Member

there will be another stimulus check, whether before or after the election.

w the uncertainty out of the way, this pennant formation has taken off.

[​IMG]

4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Thanks. I picked up E and F as they were still priced around $10.50.

saitou likes this.
  5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I wish I would have averaged down on my January GLD calls yesterday. Was planning on doing it this morning

6. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Picked up a little IPOD.U at $11 just to have skin in the game and will buy if it comes down, took stakes in IPOE.U, and the biggest stake in IPOF.U as it was the cheapest. Never bought shares with warrants before so that will be interesting to see how it plays out.

saitou likes this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nice, I'm in. Took the same approach, bought more of IPOF due to price.

Cokebabies likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

SPAC players, just for the hell of it, let's have a contest, SPACs vs. momentum options play, let's keep track.

SPAC, the avg cost ~$10.75, assumed qty of 100 units; total cost ~~$1,075.

today, when AMD was trading ~~~ 83.5,
    i opened 2 82.5 strike CALL contracts on AMD, expiration on Oct 30, 2020. @ $5.35; total cost~~~$1,070​

#11708 adoo, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Cokebabies and saitou like this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@adoo totally different risk profile and time horizon but you know that :p. I bought a call and sold a put for amd for first week of Nov as well. I think xilinx deal is hard for everyone to understand, if it really gets approved, I think the 2 ceos going on cnbc to explain the synergy will help sell the deal. Cramer likes both ceos and has them regularly on. Cramer even named his dog xilinx for awhile lol. But with market so volatile I don't dare play amd more. I still have underlying that I'm holding.

SPACs can take a year or two to get a deal done. To me its a money market fund alternative to park cash. At this price at the unit stage (before warrant split) it is very hard for a spac to go below $10 even on down days as shareholders can vote not to approve of a bad deal and if no deal is done the money raised from unit sales are returned to shareholders, which after fees and interest should be around $10. My average price was $10.40. Will trim on spikes due to rumors or if there are other opportunities. Intro to SPACs:

https://reddit.com/r/SPACs/w/index?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app

Cokebabies likes this.
  10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

nice thread on the potential synergies this analyst sees.

Edit: some of the neg reaction may also be due to amd's rocky takeover of ati in the past. However Xilinx ce happens to be an ati engineer when it was acquired by amd, and worked his way up to an exec position before leaving amd, so he will have a first hand view of what went wrong in the past, and hopefully how to avoid them.

#11710 saitou, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@RC Cola do you have any views/insider knolwedge of Embracer Group/THQ Nordic and where it's headed? Their strategy of accumulating and squeezing the blood out of non-triple A IPs seems like an interesting zag to the rest of the industry's zig. Market cap is up 2.5x within a year.

12. adoo

adoo Member

yip,

so too are options play on trending stocks
    • buying small qty of options on quality cos
    • selling credit spreads ( ~ 30 days to expiration, defining ur max risks while eating up the time value off the other side) on trending stocks.
    attendant to this trade, i had also sold credit spread on Oct 30 PUTS, for which i had collected premium in advance
    • bto 80 PUT, sto 85 PUT, collecting $2.55 premiums in advance, defining my max risk of $2.45.
      • if AMD is above 85, i get to keep all the $2.55 collected in advance;
      • if below 80, my max loss is capped at $2.45

#11712 adoo, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tsla consolidating, looking like for another move up. Impressive that we've held up so well after the blowoff top going into the split, subsequently being rejected entry into the s&p(many speculated that this drove much of the prior move up), perceived battery day disappointment, and delivery numbers which were very good but just inline with expectations.

Going forward, q3 should show a record profit, and profitable with or without reg credits. Q4 is lining up to be a high point, another record quarter, looking for 180k deliveries. Then q1 2021 Shanghai factory will start producing the Model Y.

Tsla is fantastically overvalued, like many other stocks in this market. But looking 5-10 years in the future its easy to imagine it being one of if not the most valuable company in the world.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

My idea for a short, after NKLA, is Sunrun. It's run up 400% since announcing a merger with vslr. The merger combines the #1 and #2 solar installer in the US. The market is acting like that's going to create a monopoly. In reality the #3 solar installer is Tesla/solarcity and they are looking to ramp up big time.

4 years ago solarcity was by far the #1 installer in the US before the acquisition by tesla, they basically invented the business model that sunrun and vivint later also adopted. But because of model 3 ramp up problems and almost running out of money in general, tesla had to basically shutter solarcity. Fast forward 4 years, tesla finally got through the production issues with model 3, successfully built another factory in China, is ramping up model Y smoothly, and is all a sudden one of the most valuable companies in the world. Now that they have some leeway, their focus is turning back to getting solar and energy storage back on track.

When it comes to solar, cost/economics is the biggest differentiator. And one of the biggest contributors to cost for these installers is marketing and sales. Traditionally they use cold calls and door to door sales which is very costly. However, tsla has built itself into a household name on the automotive side, and it is leveraging that brand power for solar. They eliminated their entire sales staff for solar and sell everything online now, and passed those savings to the customer by cutting their prices down to $1.49 per kwh, the lowest in the country.

I think instead of becoming a monopoly like the market expects, sunrun and vivint are about to get their lunch eaten, because the king is back. Not only is Tesla already the cheapest around by leveraging their brand, they could install their solar at cost if need be and subsidize it with their profits from automotive. I can't see how sunrun is going to compete.

Short $RUN.

Rodman23 and saitou like this.
  15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Sorry for the late response, but I don't know if I have any special views or insider info (I'm just a fan of video games :p). I've read up on this some, but I don't know if I know any more than you. Here's a recent thread on the matter from a gaming forum I frequent:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/em...n-500-million-for-future-acquisitions.302033/
    It contains some good research (i.e., how many games this group is publishing just in 2020), opinions, and predictions about who they might try to acquire.

Like you said, they do seem to be focusing on the A/AA game market. Acquire small studios, and then continuously pump out low risk games that might not sell like crazy but will generally sell well enough to make a profit (due to low budgets and well-known IPs). I suppose there isn't a lot of competition in this area (most games are either small indie titles or HUGE AAA games), so I guess for the time being, this might be a good business strategy.

FWIW, this group doesn't have a great reputation with (hardcore) gamers, though that doesn't really mean much when it comes to profits and whatnot (gamers hate Activision and other super successful publishers). I suppose their gaming strategy is partly to blame for that, but most of it is due to some controversial actions their management (or maybe it was the management of a subsidiary?) took in regards to some nazi groups. Let's just say they haven't always had the best PR at times. :)

saitou likes this.
  16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks for the reply. You always sound knowledgeable I thought you worked in the industry. Some info on their tactics that I've found so far:
    - Buying old IPs from bankrupt companies for cheap and then re-releasing them for residual sales
    - if a re-release does well then do a sequel
    - Buy companies with IP that hasn't been ported to all platforms yet, invest in the port to exploit IP further
    - Sell exclusives to Epic store. Don't care about accessibility as long as epic pays.

Seem like they are taking a "value investing" approach to game acquisitions while the rest of the industry is chasing triple A.

RC Cola likes this.
  17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Thanks, but yeah I've never worked in the industry or even really know anyone that does (not directly anyway). I'm just a game nerd that likes following what's going on in the industry, though I have less time these days that I used to. Since I am a software developer and follow a lot of dev talks (from AAA to indies), I'd like to think I might have a better understanding than some. But in general, I don't really have much more to offer than anyone else with similar interests. This is especially true when it comes to the business side of things, as I'm more interested in the tech/software side of things.

Your assessment seems accurate based on what I know. You probably know this too, but to add to it, I *think* they also tend to work closely with some popular Kickstarters. Maybe I should review the actual data, but I swear Deep Silver and others within the group would often publish a lot of these games from successful Kickstarters. It wouldn't surprise me if something like Eiyuden Chronicle does a deal with them to help with distribution. This is another way to go with low risk deals I guess.

saitou and Deckard like this.
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks; I was hoping to see a bigger overall strategy with the accumulation of titles (like their own store or subscription service) or at least some synergy between their acquisitions (the way Amazon tries to integrate its services), but so far it seems purely about extracting individual value, more like a Berkshire. I probably won't touch this unless there are new developments.

RC Cola likes this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Cloudflare Announces Cloudflare One, a Platform to Connect and Secure Companies and Remote Teams Anywhere, On Any Device
    https://us.acrofan.com/detail.php?number=354377

Cloudflare up 10% today, looking good. Not sure if above is the reason, can't find any other news.