1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Harden ever had a Jimmy Butler performance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Oct 5, 2020.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sure. Caplela was not in the roster for about 5% of the time dantoni was here but yeah thats the reason he isn't and does step backs all game.

bmelo likes this.
  2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think Morey just wanted to maximize Harden's potential. His first star acquisition was Dwight Howard. That's neither micro ball nor non-mid-range. He tried for many years to acquire other stars (Bosh, Carmelo) who did play mid-range. At some point, he decided to abandon that approach and maximize Harden.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol no
    You are a joke. lol More like Capela and MDA worked together 87℅ of MDA's tenure. Nice revisionist history. You work for BSPN? Harden has been here longer than both of them in case you can't tell that means Harden has worked with them both 100% of both their tenures.

D-rock likes this.
  4. csc177

csc177 Member

The Heat have dominated the previous series leading to the finals - yes Dragic Hero and Bam played great. It’s now the finals, against the best team in the league and Butler is showing out - carrying his squad and keeping them alive.

I can’t wrap my head around why this is so difficult for ppl to comprehend. Jimmy Buckets has been balling out of his mind and doesn’t quit - just give credit where credit is due.

LosPollosHermanos and bmelo like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Parsing words now?

You are the epitome of obfuscation and ordure.

Buzz off fly, I'm sure there is more excrement for you to suck up and spew out somewhere.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What?

I see a bunch of words that had nothing to do with my post. I have no idea what you're even talking about.

7. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Just think If Tom Thibodeau wasn't the GM of Minnesota - 9/10 GMs would have taken those four first-round picks for Butler.

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Nay I don't buy that. Harden is just incompetent. Can't lead.

bmelo likes this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

People dont see a simple fact that others dont want to play with Harden and want to play with LeBron. Top3 passers of alltime vs top2(with Wilt) isoers of alltime type of things

dmenacela likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trying to remember the times Harden got 4 free throws in the last minute of a game
    Aka bailed out.

Rocket River.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally agreed with this take. Harden gets doubled because it works against the Rockets. Others stars don't get doubled as much not necessarily because they are less lethal than Harden (although I would say that Harden is the most lethal individual scorer in the NBA at this point), but because it does not work as well as doubling Harden.

To me, it is glaringly obvious that our system doesn't work very well in the playoffs, at least not without getting better talents than what we have. The heavy reliant on Harden's ISO and the role players' ability to shoot an above average from 3 is just too easy to game plan. That together with the problem of our lack of size on defense and rebounding pretty much render the Rockets the about fourth best team in the West. If there are three teams better than you in your conference, you aren't a serious contender.

I really can't decide whether this systemic problem is on Harden or on coaching. I guess it's probably a bit of both. MDA once said in an interview that because "the players" preferred not to use screens because they like more space around them, they did away with the PnR game. That comment was quite telling. MDA is catering to the preferences of "the players" which no doubt referred to Harden (and maybe Westbrook too). We can blame the coach. But the players apparently have quite a bit of input in how they want to run the offense. We'll see if anything changes with a new head coach.

Butler is not a better player than Harden. But Butler has something Harden doesn't--(1) the gritty attitude, and (2) a more versatile game.

I've always felt that "This (ISO or whatever) is his most potent game, so let's do it every time we can" is a flawed logic. That's the same logic in JVG's system to park Yao in the low post because he was the most efficient when he got the ball there. But it was easy to front him there with a mobile big man. They did nothing to change the system in order to make it harder to neutralize Yao in the post. You need to diversify your system in order to make your lethal weapon even more lethal.

bmelo likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

That's not the reason we stopped using pick and roll. The reason we stopped using it was because Harden kept getting trapped and we could not count on Capela in the short roll. Morey is on record saying that. The league couldnt handle the Harden Capela pick and rolll. Also Westbrook needed the space to operate. We dont Iso for no reason. All of our plays are based on efficiency. We don't just stop doing whats efficient.

#392 HP3, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

14. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

No doubt that Butler is playing out of his mind and having the best series of his career. But to sit there and say that he's a better player than Harden is just stupid. Harden wasn't even at his best in the playoffs and still matched Butler's numbers.

Harden played great in the playoffs this year and people thought he played bad. Harden played great against the Warriors and thought he did badly. Harden has had way more great games than bad games in the playoffs. All because he had 2 bad games against the Spurs, he's known as a choker. Yet, he still had 4 good games against them.

Harden can have a bad night and still drop 25 plus points and get 10 assists. If Butler were to have a bad night, he's not scoring over 20 points, and he's still certainly not getting 10 assists. That's the difference.

Would people honestly swap Harden for Butler? I'm willing to bet people make a case here that they would. People say stupid stuff all the time in regards to Harden.

MettaWorldPete, HP3 and Rocket River like this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Did you watch the series before the Lakers?

That's not Harden, that's MDA. Welcome to analytics. If you're going to shoot jumper, analytics says make it a three. So, that's what MDA had them do. Harden just typifies that. His game IS based on either three of layup. Would you rather he shoot jumpers than layups?

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  16. jacoby

jacoby Member

And we just traded them for Westbrook instead...

LosPollosHermanos and HP3 like this.
  17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not parsing anything. It should be common sense that every player on an NBA roster has varying degrees of clout with respect to his own team. It's shocking that you didn't know this.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

More vomitus.

Shoo fly, you disgust me.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sorry, in the future, I'll try to use smaller words with you. I know you're easily confused.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Smaller font you mean?

Words are not small. But considering your IQ, I'll just have to forgive your ignorance.

Flies are small though.