1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Has to be somebody who wonders why Brantley all of a sudden is a beast in the post-season after several trips of not doing much.

I guess somebody would have done the same for Biggio/Bagwell if they busted out in 2004 or 2005... but I don't think they ever sniffed 30 playoff games prior to those years.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Local sports radio would really rather talk about the 0 - 4 Texans over the Astros. I get it. Lived here my whole life but its gotten really old living in a football town with a mediocre football team

crose, RayRay10, Houstunna and 3 others like this.
  3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I have been living on Facebook all day, even though I should be working. The one big take away from yesterdays events is.......
    The complete changing of the narrative of the haters. A week and a half ago it was, The Astros can't win without cheating.
    Today it has morphed into two distinctive excuses:

1) The Astros should not have even made the playoffs because they had a sub 500 record, so it doesn't count.
    2) The whole season is a farce because of the amount of games, so if the Astros win, it doesn't count.

There are only three ways I want the rest of the season to go down.
    1) Win the whole thing of course
    2) Loose to the Rays in ALCS,
    3) Loose to the Braves in the World Series.

If we loose to either the Yankees or the Dodgers that gives all the internet tough guys a new tank of super unleaded.

4. conquistador#11

I'll add this. The flagship station of the Astros Half assing it with an hour post game show for the playoffs. Weaksauce. Even the RGV Killerbees minor league hockey would do 3 hours after a playoffs win. These are once in a lifetime playoff runs. How many teams dream of getting to this point. Cherish every minute, every at bat but these suckers want to talk about a fired coach. I applaud the firing but read the room something Billy couldn't do either. Astros!

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was reluctant to click on it....but after see ya'lls post I did. It was an entertaining read. Covered way more than I thought it was going to. That title was terrible though, I figured it was like the last article I saw there that had a similar title.

RayRay10, clos4life, dannah and 2 others like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One good thing about the Stros wrapping things up yesterday is today I don't have to worry about trying to work while the game is on but instead am going to sneak out of work to go kayaking!

RayRay10, htwnbandit and AB like this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Tucker also had zero strikeouts this series so he's making good contact all around. The young guys are doing well and they're performing on the big stage getting that pressurized experience. We still have Urquidy too if he can bounce back. If we can keep one of Springer/Correa (want both) we're setup well overall for the next 5 years with JV and Greinke's contracts ending next season.

RayRay10 and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Starting to also see: "They haven't played anybody good yet" excuse... even though nearly everybody picked the Twins to win and almost everybody picked the A's to win (albeit less than the previous series).

It wasn't just that they beat the A's... they dominated them. And this is despite trailing at some point in every game. And two of the games they gave up early 3-0 leads.

That really can't be ignored. Meanwhile, the farce of the regular season can and should be ignored... including the fact that they had a "losing record". Given their 5-1 stretch, they're now 3 games over .500. Hope that will appease the bean-counters.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. dannah

dannah Member

I saw his post game press conference, he couldn't even make a complete sentence he was so depressed, eyes red from the tears that were flowing in that locker room...it actually made my day

#3309 dannah, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

The Snitch was so bad after the 2017 All-Star Break, he literally pitched himself out of a playoff spot. He was never going to get a nod over JV, Keuchel, Charlie, or Lance in a post-season series as a Starter anyway. His bad play in that 2nd Half only made AJ's decision much easier to make.

RayRay10, Houstunna and Marteen like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looks like my next jersey will be Tucker if they win the WS.

That catch yesterday was a season saver IMO and I just love his demeanor.

I have a Gurriel and Altuve already.

RayRay10, joshuaao, Marteen and 2 others like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Reddick's catch in the outfield was a bigger game changer imo. Momentum shifted immediately and big energy boost. Brantley/CC homer followed

Tucker's catch looked more difficult than it really was for a ball that just died in the outfield because he made it awkward and was out of place lol

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Why do we have to play at San Diego? A stadium the Yankees n Ray’s know well by now.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah when I saw that yesterday, I was pretty jaded, but looking up the dimensions of Petco, theres not too much to really get familiar with, maybe the speed of the grass and left center has some semi-funky walls. BP, fielding practice and Springer should handle those just fine IMO.

[​IMG]

RasaqBoi and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

#1 seeds get to stay in one place. I guess it's the benefit of being the #1 seed. Same thing is true in the NL with the Dodgers/Padres winner staying in Arlington (that would last all the way through the WS).

RasaqBoi, joshuaao, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Can you post?

17. Buck Turgidson

Stros played 3 games there in late August.

RasaqBoi, crose and RayRay10 like this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

We shall be #1 after our journey is done.

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

North, East, South, West. Doesn't matter. HR's from the Stros in all directions baby.

RayRay10 and Houstunna like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He slipped on the warning track twice and the wind was blowing, he was not out of place the ball drifted.

If he had misplayed that ball the A's were right back in it and all the pressure would have been on mainly rookie pitchers.

Tells me a lot that you think it was an easy play and was out of place.:rolleyes:

RayRay10 likes this.