1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great to see a real PG out there w/ the Rockets offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, the lack of ball movement was because of Francis's constant dribbling and running the shot clock down to 8. I think it just sucks seeing Francis as a PG. Move him to SG, grab someone from free agency or from the draft, or trade him for a quality PG. Problem solved.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Broken freakin' record.

Can we just have a "Francis Sucks" sticky, Clutch?

Go root for the Mavs.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Francis has a good game after a hot and cold season: sell high

Jackson, after about 3 months of contributing next to zero, has a good game: he should start.

This thread is aburdly stupid.

I can only imagine what you guys would have said if it was Francis and Mobley jacking up 3's instead of Nachbar and M. Jackson.

"their game isn't suited for Yao"

"they gave up a hundred points on defense! Francis got burned by Flip Murray all night long!"

"they let a team back in from 20 points down, again!"

"they're just lucky that the shots fell tonight, it still shows that there's a problem, it's not going to happen every night"

But change the names on the back of the jersey and everything is cool

The amount of kneejerkiness on this board these days (threads like "We SUCK and don't DESERVE to make the playoffs" that were popular this time last week, e.g.) is really out of control.

I am inviting Juugie to come into this thread and to showcase his SOF logic (which I'm pretty sure is more of a satire thing than most of you guys who tangle with him realize), it's badly needed.

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Done that, not working!

5. Rockets34Legend

Nothing to see here, RM95. This is a thread of how the offense ran smoother w/ a real PG. Not about Francis sucking. Move on.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Best post of the year.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You just say any B.S. to make your point. Since when are J Jackson, Boki and Padgett great passers. Have you looked up JJ's turnover numbers?

8. amed

amed Contributing Member

Damn I wonder why Yao and JJ didn't get the night off as well? But then again, Yao has taken the entire month off so he was well rested. JJ,on the other hand should get the night off Wed against Dallas since Boki played well against Seattle.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Exactly ... He had one good game and everyone takes that as an opportunity to talk about how he is so much better out there even though he is unbelievably slow and until yesterday, he could not shoot. He has had plenty of games where he has had just as many or more TOs/min as SF3.

Isn't this the same Mark Jackson that was like 3-32 from 3 point range like 2 weeks ago? I'm sorry, but even if SF3 has a couple more TOs a game, what he delivers on the offensive and defesive end is 10x better than a slow, old MJ. Francis has been distributing the ball extremely well lately, and he has the ability to draw the defense to him. If MJ is out there with Cato, then it would be a completely different story when the defense can play its 5 against the Rockets 4 on offense(more like 5 on 3 if you consider MJ's outside shooting prior to last night).

10. amed

amed Contributing Member

Happy to see that Yao got as many boards as the high leaping rebounding machine that is Mark"freaking" Jackson.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

Amen.

Love the point about Yao not having any more shots too.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This unfortunately doesn't work. Phoenix' and Golden State's seasons were over long ago, and we're 0-3 against them over the last 3-4 weeks.

I agree with some of the other points though. The truth is the Rockets are not going to be that efficient from three-point range every night -- they shot the ball very well.

But lets face it: If Steve Francis had 25-9-5 and just 3 turnovers, his fans would be calling him untradeable (if they're not already). In fact, Francis has put up 20 or more points and 9 or more assists in the same game in only two games all season (if you made it 25 or more points -- like Jackson -- it would be one, and that was the playoff clincher the other day).

Forget the points because that's not really Jackson ... 9 or more assists and 3 or fewer turnovers has happened 6 times total for Steve all season.

To put that in to perspective, Steve Nash has done that 6 times in the last 8 games.

Yes, SamFisher is right that Jackson hasn't been very good lately, but what in the world does it say about what the Rockets need offensively out of the PG position when a 39-year old geezer who has been struggling gets a rare start and heavy minutes and does exactly what the team needs?

Francis is our current big-dollar guy, maximizing that cap figure, yet here we are actually debating who is better for this team: Francis or a league-minimum, slow-as-molasses, near forty-year old who not a soul wanted the first few months of the season.

Shouldn't the question itself just scream that a Francis trade would be beneficial for both parties? His strengths, atleast in the past, do not mesh well with this team centered around Yao, and his weaknesses have, at times, killed it.

Who to get at PG? I don't know. It's not Jackson, I know that. He was an amazing point guard, but he's too old to count on. He can't play these minutes every night. But Van Gundy could probably put John Kruk at PG and figure out a way to get something out of the team defensively. The Rockets absolutely have to have a strong-on-both-ends PF they can count on and guys who can shoot the ball around Yao.

It's not a matter of just subtracting our guards from the team and improving. I don't think that would happen (though we'd see more team play). But it is a matter of getting value in return. If the Rockets can get value for Francis this offseason, they should not hesitate in dealing him.

Maybe then I'd be able to watch them consistently without feeling like I've killed mass quantities of brain cells (last night was fun).

13. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Clutch just nailed it.

I just know Rox ball could be fun to watch after yesterday.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dude,

Do you even watch the games? These players DO NOT try to split double teams by themselves, and they make the easy pass to the OPEN man.

Yes, it was one game against a less than motivated opponent. No doubt, but the whole point of this thread is simply a chance to look at how good the offense can run when everyone is COMMITTED to moving the ball.

And yes, JJ has been turning it over too much lately, BUT, most of his turnovers are of the "trying to pass" variety, not the DRIBBLE THE BALL OFF YOUR FOOT kind.

DD

15. Rockets34Legend

Clutch, I didn't start the thread to say that MJ should be our starting PG next year. He would be a great assistant coach to help Francis or whoever is our PG next year. Francis is a great shooting guard, but not a point guard. It was just good to see the passing in the offense and the dribbling at a minimum.

Even if we were butchered against PHX, MJ still had 6 assists and 2 TOs. He still played as a PG and not as a SG shooting all over the damn place. Steve Francis has 294 TOs at an average of 3.72 per game this year. Francis doesn't even rank in the Top 50 in the Assists per TO stat. We need a PG who can rank in the Top 50 Assists/TO and can play as a PG (Antonio Daniels, Jeff McInnis, Eric Snow, etc).

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NWO,

Francis is HARDLY great as a shooting guard, or any guard for that matter, he is an exciting player who is a gifted athlete.

But, Great? Come on? How can someone who is shooting around 40% be considered a great shooting guard? And don't give me Iverson, because he is my definition of a cancer.

DD

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I love u Clutch (even when we disagree).

18. Rockets34Legend

Sorry, I gave him too much of a compliment as a SG. He is good, but there are his downsides (TOs, dribbling too much, etc.). He's like Vernon Maxwell, very very streaky. There is only I in his vocabulary, no team. Like I said, an Antonio Daniels or Eric Snow would fit nicely onto this squad. Someone to compliment Mobley and Yao in the offense.

19. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

While the "teams dont play as hard when they have nothing to play for at the end of the season" arguement doesnt apply to all teams, I saw a Sonics team who wasnt playing very intensely on defense. Either way, the general point is that you can rarely predict what team should beat what team. The Clippers, a team that has nothing to play for, have lost their last 13 games [17 of the last 18], but no one thinks anything about it because theyre on the bottom of the standings, but when phoenix, another down and out team, upsets sacramento and memphis in consecutive games, it skews our thinking. Either way, its a trivial point, my general idea is that you can rarely predict what games should be won; I only applied it to the sonics, I didnt mean for it to be a make-or-break point in my arguement.

While it's well known that Nash is better than Francis in running the point, the Mavericks run a frantic pace and average nearly 13 more shots a game leading to more opportunities for assists. You would question Nash's efficiency in our system. While he would more than likely do better than Francis, youre still talking about making Yao Ming the undisputed "man" of the team. After watching him play the past few weeks, would you be willing to do this? This is why Francis still has value to the team. Throwing out stats showing Nash's strength against Francis' weakness do little. Francis' playmaking ability [in the past] is still valuable for this team, and come playoff time, I'd rather have Francis creating and taking the last shot over anyone, because hes the best at getting his own shot. Either way, I'm not trying to argue that Nash isnt a better ball handler than SF, but statistics can be skewed to tell anything, you cant assume that his value for the Mavericks will translate over to the Rockets. They both play in completely different systems.

I agree, that if Francis' doesnt show improvement towards a Yao-centric offense, he needs to be moved, but you admitedly concede that you don't know who to get. In reality, you can't just hastily say we need this player, and go out and make it happen. Marquee players are rarely swapped for other marquee players unless the teams involved are rebuilding. So what do you do? Trade for parts? What if you impulsively bring in parts of "value" that are supposed to better fit Yao [thus making Yao the man] just for the sake of trying to make a move and then have them fail? Then we're stuck rebuilding again, giving away our best player who was a fan-favorite and very marketable.

20. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

That's pure, unadulterated B.S.