1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr: we’re not gonna turn into the rockets next year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Oct 7, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because the Rockets are the antithesis of how the Warriors play and the way we play is considered in some circles to be the future of NBA basketball. When people think ISO ball, the Rockets naturally leap to mind. Look at the charts on which teams run the most isolation plays, and we are off the scale.

His response is merely an acknowledgment of that fact. I don’t read it as him going out of his way to take a swipe at us, though that’s the way some in the media and certainly many here would like to read it.

verysimplejason likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Well obviously they won’t turn into Rockets. They are humans not transformers.

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nah, I mean the Warriors team next season with a healthy roster and a top draft pick to use how they wish.

That team.

Haha. Imagine thinking we're better than the Warriors organisation right now.

tochiee22 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Then keep the Rockets out of your mouth? What do the Rockets have to do with "We're just gonna play our style/game"?

Same with Pandemic P Paul George. "Like I said, I'm no James Harden, that's not my knack, to just shoot the ball and score the ball. I can, and I pride myself on being effective on both ends."

And Giannis.

No, they're not taking a shot at Harden/the Rockets! They're complimenting Harden/the Rockets! It's all love! /durvasa :rolleyes:

29 others teams/~400 players to use as an example, but no, they're not taking a[n unprovoked] shot at the Rockets! Not at all!

How about keeping Harden/Rockets name out of your mouth? How about that?

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Easy and 5 others like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not just 29 other teams, as he could have mentioned Mark Jackson's GSW team before him, which Kerr previously said misused Curry as a PnR player. It's just more relevant to mention ways Curry and Klay were actually used before, and gives his listeners concrete examples to recall.

so, yeah, he could have said "We aren't returning to the Warriors-style under Mark Jackson, that used Stephen in a tradional PnR style, which I don't think works best." that feeds right into the rest of quote on skills of Curry, Klay and Green.

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Easy and 2 others like this.
  6. verysimplejason

I agree. And that's what Rockets should change if they wanted to win...

7. verysimplejason

And I hope Rockets turn into Warriors instead. Oh boy, how I'd love it.;)

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For someone who is openly critical about the Rockets and the failures of the current team on this board, you sure are defensive.

T for 3 and steddinotayto like this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That's why the Luka to Harden comparisons aren't very good.

Luka isn't a heavy ISO player and his style is more like Lebron than Harden.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

For a team that really hasn't accomplished much, we seem to get hated on/mentioned as if we're b2b champs. Rent free I guess.

D-rock likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Really makes you appreciate Pop more.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and Plowman like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I remember I was playing elite pickup ball yesterday. Had to announce I was gonna play both sides of the ball and not just spans 3s LIKE THE HOUSTON ROCKETS

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. 100% this.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Not alot of teams gonna run 6'5 Center out there, I mean James Harden is amazing, but hey james go out there and win with no rebounding and shot changing down low.. Lol yeah aint happening.

15. Asian Sensation

Iso king against Durant-less Warriors 2-10.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lucky for them. That's why they're champions.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

We need a coach who will talk **** back to Kerr and then beat him. I don't care who or how, even if it's Ugly Ball with JVG and some goons smothering Curry and Thompson for 48 minutes. I'm just tired of this dweeb always taking shots.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JR nails it.

D-rock likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets are the only interesting team in the NBA and they are doing it without a championship and that bothers people.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He didn't say ISO ball. He said high PnR, which was NOT a unique or new or trendy feature in the NBA. If he said small ball or something to that effect, then maybe you are right. Small ball is considered an innovation by the Rockets (which actually is not entirely true).

The way he said it was clearly a condescending swipe at the Rockets. Players talking trash may be a culture in sports. But coaches rarely do that. They usually are quite respectful to each other--with a few exceptions. And Kerr seems to be an exception when it comes to the Rockets.

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Deuce and 2 others like this.