1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TY Lue??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Oct 6, 2020.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Steve Nash was getting 8.8 assists per game with Dallas and then 11.5 assists with the Suns the next
    season (1st yr of D’Antoni w/Suns). PnR geared attack. With Houston we were doing the same until we
    figured out that the PnR allowed opposing teams to easily double Harden. So we went to Iso with
    two of the best iso players ( decent 3-pt shooters opened up huge lanes).

Morey-D’Antoni made a very inefficient playtype very efficient. With Westbrook out vs the Thunder, Rockets
    tried the screens because Dort was giving Harden some trouble. I knew it wouldn’t work well because
    they go back to doubling Harden again easily. Harden scored more when it was iso Harden vs Dort than
    when we set screens for Harden. Then Westbrook came back and we won two of the 3 games.
    We would have gone 4-1 if Westbrook had been playing every game vs the Thunder.

During the Lakers series D’Antoni tried screens near the baseline to force the doubles on Harden to come from
    greater distances. What in the world would you suggest Ty Lue do? What exactly has Ty Lue done anywhere
    except roll the ball out on the court and say go get it LeBron, Kawhi, KLove, Irving, PG-13. Tell me when
    he has made an adjustment that worked? When did he outsmart the opposing coach? They went into the Warriors
    series shooting about 40% from 3......beat the Warriors with nothing special in the form of plays. Iso-PnR Kyrie, Iso KLove and Iso LeBron......big deal.

Then the Warriors brought in Durant that offseason. Didn’t beat the Warriors again because good
    talent got beat by more talent. Not coaching. Kerr did the same thing......went to iso/post ups with
    Durant that got them past us. All those screens and back picks were disrupted by our switching
    defense.

#21 ApacheWarrior, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

We will be hearing the merry go round of available HCoaches until broke a$$ Tailman Forgetta figures out he can save money by making his son Patrick HCoach.....

With all the coaching staff wearing head-masks, you can’t tell who’s coaching anyway!!:cool:

D-rock likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Ty is pretty well respected for his adjustments.
    I don’t care what Tilman has to pay him. His finances are not my problem. I want a winning coach.

smoothie likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

https://www.quora.com/Is-Tyronn-Lue-an-elite-NBA-coach

Not sure but when I type in, “Why is Ty Lue considered a good coach?” This bit came up from Quora.

The first two writers/posters had my feelings on the matter exactly. The 3rd half-heartedly supported him.

Keep in mind the East was pathetic when Ty coached the Cavs.

Edited: and to ask for $7M/year to be head coach after you almost had a nervous breakdown the last time you
    were a head coach might be asking too much.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...onn-lue-says-anxiety-caused-him-to-step-away/

#24 ApacheWarrior, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure about that.

How many HC opportunities has he had since being fired from Cavs years ago?

Until he is HC away from Lebron and proves he can run team independently, I am suspicious. Do we even know what system he runs?

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

haha he ran the “Lebron” system

but he was key in getting Lebron to commit against GS when they were down 3-1

Other coaches view him as a great tactician

I don’t know what system he runs exactly but his offenses were tops for 3-4 years

I wouldn’t be surprised if he worked some magic here

D-rock likes this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Here's an old article from 2016 describing his coaching journey, as well as players and coaches complimenting his leadership and knowledge of the game.

From player to coach, Tyronn Lue has always been a student of the game
    Jeff Zillgitt
    USA TODAY Sports

[​IMG]

CLEVELAND – From Phil Jackson, Cleveland Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue picked up a calm demeanor.

From Stan Van Gundy, he crafted some of his offensive philosophy.

From Scott Skiles, he developed a defensive philosophy.

From Doc Rivers, he learned how to lead a team in addition to culling a set of effective after-timeout plays.

Throughout his playing career, Lue took notes and sketched plays and put them in a binder labeled by that coach’s name.

“I noticed him writing plays down, and players usually don’t do that,” said Rivers, the Los Angeles Clippers’ coach. “What Ty has done is taken a little of Phil, of Stan, of me, of Scott, and what he’s done very well is made it his own. That’s what you have to do.

“You can’t do exactly what the coach you played for or coached with did. You have to make it your own, and he’s doing a great job of that.”

In his first season as a head coach – a half season actually since he took over for fired David Blatt when the Cavs were 30-11 – Lue finished the regular season 27-14, improving in the final month and through the playoffs as he installed his offensive and defensive plan.

“With not a lot of practice time and taking over 41 games into the season, it was hard,” Lue said. “But the guys did a great job of continuing to pick it up, continuing to get better each and every day.

“The last month or month and a half of the season we took off and started playing and becoming who we wanted to be as a team.”

As the Cavs rolled through the Eastern Conference playoffs, Lue settled in, discovering the right rotations, designing plays that worked and knowing when to call timeouts.

“He’s just very composed,” Cavs star LeBron James said. “He’s very sure of his knowledge of the game, and what needs to be done for our team to be successful. It’s great to have him standing up over there because he’s just very even-keeled. He knows what he wants from us, he demands it.”

The NBA Finals against Golden State have presented Lue with his biggest challenge. The Cavs are down 2-0, and Game 3 is Wednesday in Cleveland (9 p.m. ET, ABC).

Lue has had trouble finding the right rotations against the Warriors. Channing Frye’s minutes have been limited in this series, and Lue had James and Kevin Love on the bench at the start of the fourth quarter in Game 1 when it could be argued they should have been on the floor with Golden State leading 74-68. By the time James and Love went back in, Cleveland trailed by double-digits.

But this is more about Golden State’s players than what Lue is or isn’t doing. The Warriors are adept at taking away what the Cavs like to do, and the Cavs don’t have the personnel to counter it.

Lue will keep trying to find better rotations and better ways to be more effective. Earlier in the playoffs, he said he had trouble sleeping as strategies ran through his mind.

When the Cavs beat Toronto and advanced to the Finals, Lue told USA TODAY Sports, “It means a lot. Through all the stuff we’ve been through this year, and the circumstances in which everything happened, it’s just … it means a lot. I can’t really describe it. It hasn’t sunk in yet, but just the hard work I’ve put in, just being organized and just try to do the right as a human being.”

For much of his career as a player, Lue had never considered coaching, but Rivers saw potential.

“I just thought he was a natural leader,” Rivers said. “He has this ability to connect. I love his IQ. I just thought he had the intangibles. He had the ability to tell people what they don’t want to hear. I thought, ‘This kid could be a really good coach someday.’ ”

Rivers floated the coaching idea.

“He thought it was silly,” Rivers said. He said, ‘There’s no way I’ll coach.’ I said, ‘You’ll be a coach. You know it, you’re smart about it and you’ll coach.’ I told him, ‘At some point after you retire, give me a call, I’ll have a job for you.’ ”

Lue retired in 2009 and called Rivers, who didn’t have job opening with the Boston Celtics. “I called Danny (Ainge) and said ‘Listen, I want to hire another coach but I don’t have a position. I want to put him behind the bench, and I’m telling you, he’ll be good.’ Danny trusted me. I called Ty and offered him a job.

“It takes time to stop being a player and understand coaching is a whole another thing. It takes all of your time. You work twice as hard. You watch more film.”

Rivers said Lue made the transition in Boston when Rivers had Lue work with Rondo and in Los Angeles when Rivers made Lue the Clippers’ defensive coordinator.

“I told him he had to stay here all summer. He had to watch every team and do the scouting for every team and I wanted a report. And he did it,” Rivers said. “That’s when he transitioned over to really doing it, and from that day forward, he was ready to go.”

When contacted by USA TODAY Sports, Jackson, who coached Lue on the Lakers, said in an e-mail that his memories of Lue as a player “cloud my thoughts of him as a coach.” Jackson said Lue wanted to hang with the “big dogs” and they called him Mini-Me.

But Jackson also said, “As he matured in the league, one saw his ability to facilitate the needs of a team and be a steadying influence as a lead guard.”

Lue has displayed those same abilities as a coach.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...d-cavaliers-phil-jackson-doc-rivers/85530302/

8. Fantasma Negro

Pass. lol

D-rock likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

our offense is morey and harden. our defense is switch everything.

what we need is a coach who excels at game management, meaning in game adjustments, substitutions, timeouts, etc... and that's what Lue is known for. that alone makes him worth a look and likely an upgrade from MDA.

there are a couple of obstacles to him being the right fit for us, but neither are his coaching ability. first, he wants to be able to hire his own assistants. at least that's why he turned down the lakers job. maybe he's softened his stance since then. another obstacle is the price tag. lastly it seems he's a natural successor to doc in LA and he'd have to make the better offer (such as picking your own assistants and offering more money).