1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wanted D'Antoni back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 18, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

If that is case then then the disconnect is because of what Tilly did or did not do.

Morey was not prepared for a coaching search this offseason, he was surprised and unprepared by MDA decision not to return.

HP3 likes this.
  2. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I get that it's pure conjecture, but where do you get the sense that "Morey was not prepared"? Regardless, it's part of his damn job.

We have no idea what went down, nor what the thinking is in terms of what they want in their next coach. We don't know whether roster changes are more of a priority right now than hiring a coach. We don't know whether, for instance, Morey is waiting for the Finals to conclude in order to interview an assistant with Miami or Los Angeles.

I have reasonable confidence that at the very least Morey could see the flaws in D'Antoni's coaching -- mainly the lack of adjustments to Harden being trapped. To an extent it was a roster issue, but ultimately on coaching.

Surely Fertitta saw the flaws, hence didn't have confidence in running it back with D'Antoni.
    We shall see who gets the nod eventually.

Finch, Unseld, and Joerger intrigue me, but I'd be down for a wildcard option.

Hopefully not someone like McMillan, and I'm not particularly interested in Cassell or Silas.

3. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

The Rockets are a team constructed of a superstar, a fringe all-star who was dealing with a leg injury, and a bunch of role players and G-Leaguers. What were you expecting exactly?

When the Rockets are even worse next season, people will appreciate D'antoni a lot more.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Athletic, SI and Houston Chronicle all confirmed this "conjecture".

Both Tilman and Morey repeatedly said they expected D'Antoni to return as Rockets coach.

But MDA just got tired of being disrespected and undercut by Fertita (fired his assistants, dumped salary for LTS, trading away picks and young players, not re-signing/signing/upgrading players after 65 win season, lowball salary offers).

https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...nprepared-for-mike-dantonis-exit-reports/amp/

fckbandwagons, treyk3 and Dacamel like this.
  5. WestendMassive

The most Rockets thing to happen from here would be D'Antoni landing in LA and installing a motion-heavy, fast-paced and entertaining offensive system that unleashes the strengths of both Kawhi and Playoff P, and they knock us out in the second round.

hakeem94, amaru and pr0wler like this.
  6. opticon

opticon Member

I could understand the appeal of the sixers over the rockets but the rockets of the pacers? I bet MIke is on the phone with his agent right now.

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Basically.

8. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I say no to D’Antoni to be honest coach lost his job last year after the Rockets lost to the Warriors. Y’all got to remember after KD went down the Rockets didn’t have that killer instinct to put GS away that piss Mr Tilman off.. I don’t think Harden will win with Mike being the head coach but that my opinion

#88 Roxfan4lyfe, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    hakeem94 and PeterKingX like this.
  9. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I
    its time for change bro

10. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Ok

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Are we just going to ignore that Dantoni has left all his NBA jobs over some sort of perceived disrespect? At what point does it become a HIM problem as well?

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a HIM problem in this situation.

Unless by HIM, you mean Tilly.

13. sabesque

sabesque Member

EH. Tilman's reputation is for sure earned. to put it mildly he's not the most tactful business man. But Mikey should also carry a reputation for leaving all of his NBA jobs with some big sense of angst. If you hear him talk about his past jobs, there's always some big slight against him. The rockets are just another part of his story with the same ending.

In reality, i would guess that the Rockets were going to move on from him anyway. They didnt extend him before--tilman wanted incentives tied to playoff performance because that's what Tilman wanted to see from him. What did Mike do in the bubble that would make anyone think MDA was capable of being a championship coach? Besides continuing to not make adjustments and being out coached twice?

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think MDA is better than John Lucas.

John Lucas can’t win the west, he can’t even beat Clippers.

D-rock likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Would be hilarious if after all this MDA comes back because he had no where to go after Philly hired Doc.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Morey literally said he wanted to bring him back multiple times.

D-rock likes this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If no one really qualified takes the Rockets job, Tilman better be ready to put on some knee pads. MDA going to be ready with his pants down!

D-rock likes this.
  18. opticon

opticon Member

MDA almost has to retire. Does he really want to go through a rebuild with the pacers at his age? Maybe we waits and sees who gets canned early an gets with a contender that way

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Pacers hire another HC, Rockets will be the only viable position left.

Pelicans is a rebuild.

Crazier things have happened.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I for one would take him back. MDA should condition it on Tillman shelling out for a center who can shoot.

D-rock and HP3 like this.