1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Don’t Care

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Oct 3, 2020.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Adel man played the Princeton offense. Very very different from what we do now

exactly man, it’s not even worth arguing half these people don’t even know what they’re talking about. You’re gonna be villanized regardless even when the outcomes turn out to be what you stated all aling

waytookrzy079 and saleem like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think it's time we get our own version of the Spurs Popovich. . . .

MOREY FOR HEAD COACH!!!

He's watched (studied) some of the best offensive minds over the past 8 years (Adelman and D'Antoni) he seems to get along well with the players. Come on Morey, give it a shot!! It would be the ultimate achievement and I as a spectator would be very curious to see how it would all pan out.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Smallball has nothing to do with Moreyball. Moreyball refers to roster construction based on acquiring undervalued players. This can be applied to any offensive philosophy.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Why not give Matt “Three is greater than two” Bullard a shot....o_O

Tailman: “He’s already on the payroll”...:confused:

(P.S.) Seriously though, Hammond wouldn’t be a bad move, IFFFF this move is solely about winning a championship! I could care less about a PR move and what the league thinks!! When we start winning rings the narrative will change regardless of who is playing/coaching our team!!

Go Rockets!!!

5. nwtx7263

nwtx7263 Member

Basketball is done, toast. It won’t return to its pre-2020 ratings, revenue or nostalgia. We are moving into something new and sports will have to adapt or probably BK. Obviously there is still a desire for BB, however, after this season is over the league will be forced to look at the bottom line.

6. hakeemthagreat

Nice try. Moreyball is based on shooting more 3's than midrange 2's, because Morey's calculator says you can win more by attempting more 3's than your opponent. Remind you, this is a basketball assumption coming from a numbers crunching nerd who never touched a basketball in his life

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

There may be some truth to that. I know that I haven’t watched a single minute of NBA since our Rockets were eliminated.

BamBam and nwtx7263 like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree with the comments about Adelman and his offense. I loved it.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I been a fan since I seen the Rockets win the championship with my own eyes. I think you need to reread your quoted post. I never said Adelman didn't run Princeton Offense. How could he not, with Yao and Scola's terrific passing abilities. I said McHale didn't run small ball. Adelman couldn't run small ball even if he wanted to with Yao and Scola, smallest ball you got was Hayes. Morey forcing him out. That's also propaganda. We were about to rebuild and go younger. Then we got McHale, Harden and then Howard.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I see what you mean. To you they are totally different. Morey is essentially the highest/best percentage shot. Does the Princeton offense not work for the best shot available. Mid range or back door cut? Morey ball is not just 3 and layups that part of it but also creating the best shot available? Does the Princeton offense not do that? Nobody is forcing them to just shoot 3's. That's why we have coaches but some don't know what they are doing.
    That's what they are doing but without any structure. MDA doesn't have structure. That's why Westbrook felt like he was just running around. Because he was! Adelman did the best job incorporating the two. With Yao on the floor he was the best layup available surrounded by myriad of shooters. When we won we played Moreyball it just didn't have a negative connotation to it, such as dubbed "moreyball". Hakeem was always the best percentage shot available when he was doubled he would pass it out to a myriad of shooters.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Nice try but that only what slow people think. You work for the best percentage shot, whatever that may be. 3's are always better than 2's. Is that hard for you?

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

The majority of nba fans, along with Rocket fans have known already known this about us. It's been examined, analyzed & broken down by almost every nba analyst already. THE ROCKETS SHOOT MORE 3's THAN ANY TEAM IN NBA HISTORY. The fact its 2020 and you don't know this is concerning. But stats don't lie, only idiot posters here do

Imanimal likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3s are not always better than 2s.

In the playoffs LA packed the paint, and left Westbrook wide open at the 3pt line - for a reason.

We needed someone to flash to the high post, or FT line extended, that is where the open shot was.

DD

Imanimal likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

So glad you said this. Rockets will at least be in 2nd round of postseason next year.

DD just sanctified this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Is a shot beyond the arc worth 3 points still? If I'm correct that's 1 more point that 2 last time I checked. So yeah it's worth more than 2. I clarified this in other post. A open mid range shot is better than a heavily contested layup or contested 3. It's the coaches job to relay this not Morey. The best shot is situational and not exclusively 3's. They did leave him open for a reason because a dumb as coach couldn't make adjustments. Let Westbrook bring it up and drive so he can pass it out to a open Harden instead of vice versa. Morey can't make on court plays. Even if he were to tell the coach this most wouldn't listen anyway.

fckbandwagons and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I do know this.....they have also missed the most in history too lol. That's why you don't gamble. Too many in game variables to have a predictable outcome. Problem with the current Rockets' players is they try to shoot themselves out a hole they dug by missing open shot in the first place. I don't see how this correlates to a GM finding players. Even if he was able to find a lights out shooter no telling he will make them as a Rocket.

17. s3ts

s3ts Member

Rick Adelman has been my favorite coach since being a fan. Man it sucks, though, that was still such a different era even if it wasn't that long ago.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Adelman played as many seasons (4) as D'Antoni.

He never made it past 2nd round, nevermind the WCF. Adelman also never won the division.

And while injuries played huge part (like D'Antoni years), team had some talented players, sweet combination of vets and youngsters like Yao, McGrady, Battier, Artest, Mutombo, Scola, Bonzi Wells, Aaron Brooks, Rafer Alston, Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, Chase Budinger, Luther Head, Steve Novak, Jared Jeffries.

I liked Adelman too but facts are facts.

19. hakeemthagreat

How do you mention "facts are facts" without mentioning how injury prone those teams were? Plus how a team without Tmac and mostly Yao made the postseason that year? This was also a era where Morey was going CRAZY in his roster moves, almost sabotaging our chances. We had the highest roster turnover in the NBA, and were competitive under Adelman. He over achieved with the pieces he was given

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

You need to re-read my post. The injury issues were acknowledged.

And roster turnover is a Morey staple - all Morey's coaches experienced this, including JVG, Adelman, McHale, Bickerstaff and D'Antoni.

Facts are facts.