1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kill Bill Volume 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nomar, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yes I did . .. much better
    nice quotes and I like the Post Modern out of sequence effect
    kept my mind active in the movie.

Rocket River

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well so far on rottentomatoes kill bill has gotten great GREAT reviews. Im excited to see this movie and i dont say that very often.

Nomar im wondering about something regarding this movie. Do you think there is a possiblity that you could come out of this film and think its good? Or is it a foregone conclusion for that this movie will not be any good to you?

Im just guessing here but maybe if you go into the movie and try to enjoy it maybe some good will come of it.

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

I always try to enjoy movies. I don't go pay 6 bucks and hope to be pissed off at the end.

I'm just being realistic.

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

yes you and me both man. this is definitely my highest anticipated movie of the year. i don't think i was this excited for any movie last year.

i mean this movie is definitely not for everyone though.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Always easier to rip on movies, etc. as worthless rather than appreciate them for what they are. For example, I really appreciate Nomar's reviews, because if he hates a movie, I'm pretty much secure in the knowledge that it's going to be good.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

:rolleyes:

Why is it easier to dislike a movie than like a movie. It seems like we would be predisposed to liking a movie because we would then enjoy greater entertainment. So I would argue the opposite is true. I have no motivation for disliking a movie, but I do have motivation for liking it.

Furthermore, it's also pretty easy to buy into the hype and get suckered into Tarantino worship.

Get a clue: HE'S NOT THAT GOOD. Or original at all.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I need to "get a clue"? Just because some 19-year-old kid in college thinks he knows everything there is to know about movies?

Why is it easier to dislike a movie than like a movie? It is easier to rip movies because you assume a position of superiority, of being able to denounce the director as a hack and ridicule those who enjoy the movie as clueless sheep, while proving your own intelligence by listing the many supposed flaws you noticed. That imaginary high ground is the carrot you chase.

I enjoyed the first one, and am sure I'll like the second. It's gotten excellent reviews overall. Tarantino is certainly an egomaniac with a penanche for self-aggrandization, but Kill Bill Vol. I was an entertaining homage to generations of kung-fu movies, and was genuinely hilarious in a few spots.

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

Putting words in my mouth, I never said I knw everything about anything. Nice try though.

It is easier to like a movie because you want to like something you expect to derive entertainment from. By not liking it, you are admitting that you have wasted money and time. And it allows you to assume a position of superiority, of being able to understand a deeper meaning that others can't, of denouncing those who dislike the movie as bitter, jealous, malcontents, while proving your own magnanimousness in being above the flaws others have noticed.

Kill Bill 1 was a ripoff, (homage is such a pathetic euphemism) just like Reservoir Dogs, etc.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How are remakes OK, but homages are not? Especially when the director admits to the homage?

I agree with Sam that if you want to like something, it's gonna be harder for you to like something. I was disappointed in Kill Bill because I was so damned excited for it. I loved The Matrix because I didn't think I was going to like it. That happens all the time.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Personally, I don't mind the homage. It's at least a part of every director's bag to lift stuff from the movies that have influenced him. Tarantino is different in that he openly acknowledges his influences and often does a great deal to get those movies he enjoyed in the past seen by a larger or new audience.

Some people think Tarantino goes too far in the homage and into outright ripoff. I've not seen City on Fire, so I can't note the similarities, but beyond that, I think Tarantino is more than just a guy who regurgitates his influences because his movies are more than the sum of their parts.

I've seen a lot of Blaxploitation films, and none of them are like Jackie Brown. You can see the influence, but Tarantino took his "homage" beyond what any of the films that came before had done.

While pieces of Pulp Fiction were obviously lifted from other sources, what made that movie what it was was how Tarantino put it together and added his own bits and pieces. To me, Pulp Fiction has not aged well, especially because there were so many Pulp Fiction-style movies that came out in the wake of that film, nearly all of which weren't very good.

But at the time Pulp Fiction came out, it was innovative. Was it somewhat a rehash of other movies? In part, sure. But it didn't play like that because it was more than just that.

I've not seen Kill Bill, Vol. 1, so I can't comment on that one. It could be that it's more derrivative than his past movies, but I don't know.

11. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I never saw Vol. 1...I like Martial arts films, etc...Should I go pick it up today?

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Rent it, incase you don't like it. If you do, well, the dvd released today is bare bones as it gets, so it's best not to buy it. Hopefully, there will be a director's cut/special edition somewhere down the line after Vol 2 is released.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pulp Fiction was really the only movie of his I really liked.

Resevoir Dogs we ok. I haven't seen the Kill Bill movies, and haven't been really excited about seeing them either. From what I have seen in previews, this movie really doesn't make me want to drive over to the theater and pay the $7 for a ticket to it.

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I think QT is a good director not great but good, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were great. I've seen Jackie Brown and Kill Bill Vol I both of them aren't bad but they can't compare to his first two films. I think the reason most people follow QT and he has so much hype is because of the first two films, I mean they were cult classics.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

For me I rank QT movies as,

1. Pulp Ficition
    2. Reservior Dogs
    2a. True Romance (didn't direct it but wrote it)
    3. KB 1
    4. Jackie Brown (didn't like too much, but was ok)

I don't really see KB 2 elivating past Pulp or Reservior but I certainly could see it going past True Romance depending on how much more story development we get from the sequal, which is supposed to happen. The thing about QT movies is that they really should be seen in their entirety or you don't get the full effect because of the way his films are. I know if I would have only seen half of Pulp Fiction I would have thought it sucked.

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Can't believe the lack of love for Jackie Brown. It's the best one he's done.

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I finally say volume 1 on DVD last night. It enjoyed it for the most part and will probally go see volume 2 this weekend. It was really funny, and had some great action scenes but was a little too over the top for me at times.

Also if you are into home theater, i highly reccomend checking out the DVD. The DTS track on it is among the best i have ever heard.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Explain to me why folx like Resevoir Dogs?

I liked Kill Bill 1
    Pulp Friction is his best movie
    then Kill Bill V 1

Everything else was adequate to horrible [Bordelo of blood??? or was it Dusk til Dawn . . .some horrible wanna be vampire movie]

Rocket River