1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Forbes: Safest bet for the Rockets this offseason is an Eric Gordon Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ultimately it's how much the owner is willing to spend. A bad contract lowers the appetite for that.

Gordon is going to be 32 next year. He is at best at the tail end of his prime, if not already past. He is not going to get any better or healthier. We'll be lucky if he doesn't get worse within a year or two. I am indifferent to Eric Gordon as a player. He can be very good and he can be trash, very inconsistent. And he gets injured a lot. Signing 30+ years old players to expensive and long contract is very dangerous IMO.

saleem likes this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

The team as a whole has shot bad. It's not the percentages it's the shot selection, as a team. There's no stat to show bad shot selection. Just miss and makes. He's a former 3point champion that probably took less to stay here to try and win.

His contract is not that bad.

HP3 likes this.
  3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

The man dropped 50 points on the Jazz in January, he will always be ok with me. I say we keep him.

treyk3 likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ego would help them unload Horford or Harris
    Each have bloated contracts but would be infinitely better playing with Harden than where they are now

Rocket River

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Anyone who can shoot over 40 percent from 3. Or Clint Capela. Lol! I’ll take Horford in an instant.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I mean, Harden was 0.91 in 17-18, but I see your point. Lillard was probably tops in 19-20 for high frequency PnR ball handlers - around 1.15. You woudl want 1.0-1.1 to justify it and Russ has not hit that level. I am just spitballing here because we all know we are stuck with Brodie for 1-2 years. Have to maintain sanity.

I think if we don't trade Tuck (hate to see him go but his pricetag is going to be big), we need to limit his exposure to much bigger guys, as you said. You can't maintain that level of intensity over a series, much less a season. Shawn Marion alluded to this as well. It's possible in short bursts or for a few games, but fatigue was a major issue in all the deep runs the Suns made. It's a sound theory but it fails in execution because humans get tired.

Easy and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

It's not an empty statement. He has played bad but everyone act like hes this perpetual scrub who doesnt show up when it matters when that isnt true.

Case in point.

Playoffs 2018-2019: 18 PPG on 60 TS%
    Playofs 2019-2020: 18 PPG on 53 TS% And while that is bad....its not nearly as bad in context. EG was coming in and our of the lineup, he's been hurt a lot this year so it took him awhile to get into shape. In game 7 of the OKC series he had 21 points on 82 TS%. In the Lakers series he averaged 16 PPG on 60 TS%.

So yea, nothing about my statements are empty bro.

8. hakeemthagreat

Gordon's our most reliable playoff player and will play even better in real system, not Moreyball (Harden hero-ball). If he goes to GS he'd be a 19pt scorer off the bench. Not sure why you guys have turned on him

crenshaw likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

He was thinking he'd get 50-burger Gordon, not "I play like I ate one too many hamburgers" Gordon.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

That’s a ownership problem.

if a player isn’t useful (Gordon definitely is) you can just bench him. You don’t have to trade him.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

The problem is that we most likely can’t without attaching assets to him. That is not a good thing, but there’s always excuses for any bad move the FO makes.

If we had Myles Turner, and another team was trying to offer us EG and his terrible extension coming off the garbage season he just had, we’d be saying they need to gtfo and laughing at them for thinking they can catfish us with such a negative asset.

12. pass_to_Hakeem

Good!!! He has been the last few years

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Gordon shouldn't be attached with anyone else apart from House and Clemons. Nobody wants House after the self-inflicted disaster. As long as Gordon is fit, he will have some value.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG didn't do anything close during the resumption season, to make a case for himself as a must keep. And this was fresh off a weight loss, get right 3 months hiatus. If you can get a significant rotational piece for him you do it. dude's shot is broken and his body continues to fail him.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly, we have an old team and we squandered our youthful assets over the years with never tanking. Denver is not as good a team but young and got to splurge on assets and even threw away Nurkic. Sadly we let Covington go when we could have used him the first time. All I want for Christmas is Ibaka but no Santa this year.

Nook likes this.