1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Playoffs: Astros @ Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I avoid the media for the most part but I tuned into MLB Tonight on the MLBN with Reynolds and Amsinger and saw they were going to highlight our boys when they came back from break. I got the feeling Reynolds really wanted to get more into our game but MLBN is of the impression we’re hated so much that they may lose viewers. Just the opposite!

I never flipped the channel when the Patriots came on. I always wanted to know if they got their butts kicked! Cover the heels all the same and for gods sake we need to embrace it.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then Crane should exceed whatever other offer he receives on the open market.

RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Greinke wasn’t sharp from the start. Very fortunate to get out with only 1 run scored. Semi-reminiscent of his playoff starts last year in Yankee Stadium and against the Nats (minus game 7).

framber also had been off for 7 days. He was going to pitch regardless. No sense in leaving Greinke in 5 simply so he can get a “decision.” Framber could have pitched another 3 innings if needed.

main thing I would second guess is Framber should probably start over any of these pitchers... but he’s certainly a valuable weapon in either role.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Sounds like game two could be similar in approach, but replace Greinke and Valdez with Urquidy and Javier...thoughts?

6. Nook

Nook Member

#1. Injuries to top players like Verlander, Alvarez, Osuna, Bregman and Altuve really hurt. That and small sample size.

#2 The young pitchers exceeded expectations. Urquidy has been excellent and outside of home run issues, Javier has been very hard to hit. A few bullpen arms are doing well as well. The Astros young pitching has far exceeded expectations.

Josh James has to have better command and control to be a good big leaguer. The stuff is elite but that isn’t enough.

RayRay10 and whiskeyred like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It is smart to do for a team like the Astros that lack bullpen depth and have rookies in the pen. The Astros cannot take this approach in longer series, but they can in a 3 gamer. The nice thing is that the Astros can even go to McCullers if they have a lead and absolutely feel like they must shut the door.

At some point the pen is going to get tested with Greinke, Javier and McCullers all only going 4-5 innings.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I cant tell if this is Krang or Bebop. LOL

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Everybody expects it, and I'm surprised it isn't the norm.

conquistador#11 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I absolutely questioned the decision to pull Grienke yesterday. I thought he was settling in. Framber worries me because when he can't locate his pitches he can get into a lot of trouble quickly. He's been more of a horse this year than a pinpoint tactician. With that being said, it turned out to be the right move.

I'll gladly eat crow over and over and over again if it means we win.

That curveball was nasty. Well ****ing done.

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Since there will be no off days in the next series, if (when) the Astros advance, they won't be able to tandem their starters as they'll likely need all five to pitch in the series. The other issue will be that Valdez may be neutralized if the White Sox make it through; Chicago is 14-0 vs LH starters this year (technically 15-0 after yesterday)...and they murder LHP overall (.887 OPS compared to a .749 OPS vs RHP).

Would be even worse for the ALCS with a possible only one day off if the division series goes 5 and the potential to have to play 7 straight days.

In reality, if the Astros are going to make a deep run, the bats have to get going and they need to close out these series early...the more rest the better.

King1, awc713, Surfguy and 1 other person like this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah, worry about that IF you advance. ALL HANDS ON DECK G-DAMIT!!!

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

15. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I recall it being a point of discussion last year that Luhnow's system hadn't produced a bonafide home grown major league starting pitcher despite our supposed pitching development prowess and being so far ahead of the curve on spin rate, etc. Well, that system seems like it has in fact developed three starting pitchers, all of whom have ceilings of being front line guys.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No one tell the Twins that Urquidy's changeup absolutely destroys LHBs. I would love to see that same lineup.

P.S. His curve also does very well against the LHBs.

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Ditto from myself also. Questioned it then got over that real quick

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Developing pitching prospects is hard as a lot are going to have injuries, lose velocity, control, or just flat out not develop. It is a numbers game in which quantity usually beats quality. Though when quality develops right, look out.

19. Screaming Fist

Urquidy's breaking pitches have a lot more movement this season, and he seems to be doing a little better job at clustering his release points this year, but for some reason he's not getting the same whiffs this season on those pitches. It's a little odd.

20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I have a sneaky suspicion that Baker will bring McCullers out of the bullpen today

bloodwings19 likes this.