1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's Tax Returns - NYT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, Sep 27, 2020.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

They may have different methods but the problem is the same and needs to be fixed.

When someone says that it means they're not enthusiastic about the politician as in I don't like him as a candidate. If it makes you feel better I could say I didn't vote for him.

I felt the needed to preface my statement because I probably don't post enough in this forum for people to know my politics and it could easily go down some weird route of someone writing a long rebuttal targeted at a Trump supporter.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are not enthusiastic but you will vote for him?

Just don't see why you would have to use a disclaimer like that when talking about Trump.

Is this like the shy Trump voter?

This has nothing to do with me feeling better I don't care who you voted for but I notice you did not say you did not vote for him.

You do seem very defensive.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member

with all the shell games no wonder fern t*** loves trump

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[PREMIUM POST] (TM)

RayRay10 and SamFisher like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure we should definitely increase taxes on the rich and make our tax code more equitable, and you're no doubt correct this is the heart of the problem.

But even within the confines of our current tax code - Trump's behavior is probably illegal.

There's nothing in the tax law that says you can deduct scalp reduction surgery or do all of the things that he's doing or did - in fact there's a lot that says you specifically can't do those things, like live in your investment properties or deduct your tanning expenses, there's only the low probability of being caught for most tax dodges.

But even for people who dodged in larger amounts than Trump, the kind of obvious frauds that he engaged in is not a common practice. Like, I doubt the DeVos' of the universe are deducting Betsy's spa days even though she's a pyramid scheme heiress.

if I recall, what separates tax avoidance (regrettable, but ok) and tax evasion (a crime) in the gray areas is often focused on intent/state of mind.

That's uh, not a good place for Donald J. Trump

6. IBTL

IBTL Member

its not that hard to cheat. its also not that hard to fly straight.

repugs defending him here dont see he is making rookie moves its really just another window into his amateur hour approach. its remarkable to fail into the presidency. he is impressive in that sense.

accounting ...reporting ...avoid auditing 101 says you dont post $750.00 ...you make it $ 753.28 and you have receipts. even if you are missing some documentation you can argue errors and ommissions at minimal % but you don't lazily post $750 then come back again in another year and somehow post the same $750 ..you are literally asking for audit.

even if trump lives his return in audit city perpetual as part of his game ...there still comes the reality of many of the moves being downright evasion and illegal.. so he called attention with a nice round 750 and now seeing that flow through ivanka. hes not even trying.

hes basically on 5th ave shooting everyone and begging to pass or not. hes chumping all of us and as dictator it is right there to somehow being cool..

this country has lost its way if this illegality is overlooked.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The disclaimer clearly didn't help.

I did not vote for him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Correct, when people say "the real scandal is our tax code is inequitable" - I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THEM

But you know what's also a scandal? That Trump is cheating it (probably with criminal intent, insofar as he is a serial law breaker and scam artist) - Trump is kind of a weird case where it's probably safe to assume criminal intent/mens real/ guilty mind with literally everything he does.

It's possible for both of these things to simultaneously be true!

Trump can be both benefitting unfairly but legally but also be benefitting unfairly and illegally.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

Still a strange disclaimer so you are a Trump guy just not a big Trump guy?

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

It's not even rookie mistakes its infantile mistakes and you laid it out very well.

What billionaire is writing off hair maintenance?

Most of his cabinet is probably laughing at him. Something tells me this is tip of the iceberg and the IRS is just waiting to come down hard on him.

#371 jiggyfly, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's gonna be interesting if this backfires on Republicans, Democrats should make them eat their words and have a bill next week on closing these loopholes.

I would have Biden talk it up if Trump goes there.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

2016 called, they want their bullshit political narratives back

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So give them back.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

LoL

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We get it, you don't care, but the adults are talking and your temper tantrums are not useful.

Reeko, RayRay10 and Blatz like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not bet money on that. He has made a big public fuss on giving it away, just like he did with raising money for veteran charities.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I don't know. Let's ask Putin.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This would be a very great tactic. Give Donald a hand and tell him " let's create a bipartisan bill to end these loopholes" at the debates. I really would like to see what he would answer with because Donald likes to shoot from the hip meaning he'll probably agree on the spot at the debate which is going to piss off the GOP senate.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.