1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 28, 2020.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

C’mon. Happy now

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Would be interesting to find out what both of them are on.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's a rare time when I'm not happy

arkoe, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member

people saying they think a slug fest goes against biden when I hope biden can undress trump in that scenario.

there are enough evangelical and anti abortion types that if trump sticks to that message it would highlight that hot zone for them and overlook trumps craziness.

so the better thing for biden is stick to what he will do and play along to an extent with trump. trump isnt that good when its anyone worth a sh*it challenges him and especially now since he will be on defensive. we will see if biden seizes.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The risk of the slug fest is that Biden comes down to Trump's level.

In Trump's debates with Jeb Trump got him to come down to his level. While Jeb was being undermined as low energy once he got to Trump's level any view of Jeb as a serious politician was gone. The biggest advantage Jeb had over Trump was gone and Jeb's support crumbled. The same thing happened to Rubio and other Republican opponents.

With Biden there is a further risk of the "Malarkey" factor where Biden himself makes some hokey statement or does something like challenge someone to do pushups. That worked against Paul Ryan in sort of the same way that Trump took out Jeb because neither Ryan or Jeb knew how to respond to something like that. Trump will eat that up. That will play right into his wheelhouse that the debate is about entertainment like a WWE match.

This is what makes Trump tough for politicians to deal with. If you just treat it as a serious sober debate then you will appear low energy and boring compared to Trump. If you get in the mud with him then you're undercutting yourself as a serious candidate and Trump is a better entertainer.

The big difference and advantage for Biden is that this isn't 2016 and Trump has a record. Also with all of the crisis we are facing now is a time that many people are looking for sober and serious leadership. This makes it even more important that Biden resists the urge to go "malarkey!" on Trump and get into verbal stunts like talking about taking him to the back of the barn..

arkoe, fchowd0311, Nook and 2 others like this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member

this is the key in my point. "coming to his level" is the possibility of biden getting trump on defensive. we have seen trump shrivel when called out like the one australian reporter did. make trump look bumbling and sensitive from the jabs.

i get what your saying but the right person could unhinge trump easily. i dont know if biden can but to sit back and play nice the whole time will make him look weak. if he can unhinge trump as im saying AND present a presidential type plan and move that would be a win.

unhinging trump most definitely should be a strategy and I want some mud. not sappy anecdotal stories about a farmer biden met in a swing state ..I want biden to kick this dudes ass verbally and if biden is more than just a placeholder president then tonights the night to lay it out.

tonights the night you can fall in love... you can call your momma right now tell her you met a thug

dont be afraid ..attack trump hes a p***y. i want biden to go off..no more mr nice guy

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member

im tired of democrats playing nice.

take the fight to trump. hes a broke lying b*itch enough of dancing on eggshells f this guy!!

i have my doubts biden will capitalize but if trump really isnt preparing and giving how easily he can be unhinged and start saying "fake news" a decent debater could make trump go milli vanilli and run off the stage.

im voting for biden as placeholder and I assume many others will. why not just undress the piece of sh*it

its one thing Ive never gotten why are people so afraid to challenge him? we have 200k dead and biden is supposed to walk in there all nice guy la da dee?

London'sBurning and RayRay10 like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand wanting to go after Trump but at this point the debate is a do no harm exercise for the Biden campaign.

It's not fair but the bar is very low for Trump. Everyone knows he's going to lie and he's going to insult. The expectation is he is going to be unhinged. That's what the country expects of him and that's what they knew of him in 2016 and he still won. Trump unhinged doesn't change the election It's part of the genius of Trump.

For Biden the bar is not being the low energy or goofy Biden. If Biden gives into his worst instincts of getting into stunts both verbal and physical. If he tells some long meandering story that is very embellished that could hurt. Biden's challenge isn't to prove that he is tougher or more entertaining that Trump, that he can cut Trump down, it's to show that he is a sober and serious man who will be a sober and serious President.

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member

you are likely correct.

reason # 10 million why I would be a bad candidate.

i want sick burns.

still though a decent debater could school him.trump is a chump.

thats the part that gets me as few have called him out..

i know it wont change votes but if he gets thoroughly undressed I wonder if might get some repugs to not vote thinking biden landslide.
    there is a dimension where biden shuts it down tonight olajuwon on david robinson style.

yes a dream and dimension...i know..

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Face it. Trump can stand there and spurt out lie after lie after lie after lie and his cult will believe it all, even if every single lie is fact checked with proof he was lying. They don't care.

Nippystix and RayRay10 like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Troll harder.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What's worse, trump demanding, or fox news seriously reporting this?

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

And she is supposed to be part of the "hard news" part of fox news...

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

16. NewRoxFan

Another fox news smoke blow to help trump...

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

trump trying to throw as many lies in order to have excuses about why Biden did better than him during the debate...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I tweeted this in reply

Screenshot_20200929-131448_Twitter.jpg

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the problem with guys like Ryan Lizza and the Beltway media feedback loop, they are used to seeing Trump babble incoherently every single day for years, get immune to it, move the goal posts closer, and then are amazed that they can read anything clear into his babbling "on rewatch" (literally nobody rewatches political debates, I mean for ****'s sake, why)

Otherwise, people who don't actually follow Trump every waking minute will turn on the TV and hear him referring to how he's "going to be looking at that very strongly", slur his speech and generally badly wing his way through things and not be as impressed on first watch as Ryan Lizza is on rewatch.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian