1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep. That's where I am - weary of any assistant that's done it under what is likely a great head coach. It not absolute, of course - everyone starts somewhere. But the Texans need to be critical and not just accept that he's a driving force behind KC's offense. Which means... the Texans will probably just accept that he's a driving force behind KC's offense.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would typically agree, but Andy Reid’s coaching tree is legit. A lot of successful coaches and super bowl winners came from under him.

gatsby, gfab-babyboi and red5rocket like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Looked it up - Harbaugh, Pederson, Rivera, McDermott. So three came from defense... which is... interesting.

And I think Pederson (the lone offensive-minded HC) is a very good coach - and has a ring, obviously. But his stint in Philly? 7-9; 13-3; 9-7; 9-7. And now, 0-2-1 after tying the Bengals Sunday. He has a ring! But...

He's firmly in my good(-ish) tier of coaches. He'd be better than BOB - but I think you'd see many of the BOB issues/frustrations creep up with him. And many of these other coaches, too. Again, there's one great NFL head coach. (Maybe Reid can now be elevated to that status, too.) The rest all have good/bad days and would frustrate fans, too.

RayRay10 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that’s the tough part. The unknown and will they develop into at least a top tier coach?
    His coaching tree record is a lot better than Hoodie at least.
    Majority of those coaches are better than OB

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Yeah; honestly, the better the HC, the greater the possibility the HC is driving much of the success, and not the assistants.

I would trade BOB for all four of them, that's for sure.

6. Agent94

Agent94 Member

And they built that team with the help of the GM that O'Brien got fired.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Well........... But, yes - firing Brian Gaine was a giant mistake on a number of different levels.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think Josh Allen is inferior to many QBs in terms of physical attributes and draft status. He wasn’t as polished as Watson but has been shined up a lot better so far in NFL

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is the part that just KILLS me. How many years did we all b**** about not taking care of the QB situation. Now that we finally have, we have no idea how to use him. It's beyond comprehension. It's like trying to drive a Formula One race car on a dirt road and then wondering why it's not going as fast as a motorcycle.

There's an article posted in the Hopkins thread with some quotes from BOB indicating that they purposely took the foot off the gas in the 2nd half of the steelers game because they wanted the offense to be more "balanced." They went away from what was clearly working...in the name of balance.

It's so frustrating seeing guys like Allen, Prescott, Goff, Tannahill, Carr, being utilized better than Watson is every Sunday - given how clearly superior Watson is to these other players.

Imagine what Watson could do if every quarter of every game looked like that 1st half against Pittsburgh.

We'll never see it though. Because we have to be balanced and play complimentary football.

RayRay10 and Hey Now! like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Carr and Watson have almost identical athletic profiles.
    Allen is actually better athlete than Watson.
    Watson is better athletically than Goff, Dak and Tannehill.

Serious question here, what separates Watson right now? His accuracy was good but seems to be going down.
    I think his intangibles are better than all of those QBs listed-he’s a winner everywhere he goes, good kid, seems to be an awesome teammate.
    But athletically he’s very similar to Carr (who started hot and has gone to crap-hopefully not what Watson is doing) Allen is a tiny bit slower but had better agility numbers and possibly strongest arm in league, accuracy is improving instead of regressing.

Just curious to your thoughts or anyone’s thoughts.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Give me Mike Leach!!!

Please! PLLLLEAAASSE!!!

Dude just beat the snot out of LSU in his first SEC game!

It would be totally awesome!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Josh Allen was about to be tagged a bust before a guy who runs the same exact system as OBrien (Brian Daboll) found a way to make it work using Allens talents instead of force feeding the EP on Allen. Look how many times they run Allen with intent! He's not that much bigger than Watson, but they choose to make a weapon out of Allen and make the defense stay on its toes. Nobody is looking for Watson to run - they will spy him and wait for the protection to break down.

I know how you feel about intentional QB runs, but that is the biggest difference between these two QBs. Allen has the luxury of making a defense "think" and therefore gets plenty of open windows - I would say Watson has a better ability to thread the needle and read a defense, but Allen is thriving and Watson is walking through waist high mud in this offense. Doesnt hurt that Allen was gifted Stefon Diggs who is a legit #1 receiver and it has worked out marvelously.

Watson has the "feel" that you cant teach or coach, but he's being pummeled to the point where he will have shell shock before long. We've all seen this before its time to start calling it what is and let it be known that Watson IS regressing. Moral 1st half victories, coulda shoulda woulda's , none of that matters. The offense stinks, but Watson isnt making any more Superman throws or plays.

90% on OBrien, but 10% is on Watson - he COULD be playing better outside of the design.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree with almost all of what you said. Only thing I wouldn’t agree with is size, Josh Allen is a big dude, Cam and Luck size dude.
    I wouldn’t say bust, first year was bad second year a lot of progress and obviously this year another huge progression...so far.

Watson is almost a victim of his own ridiculous start, set the standard or bar too high.

And yes I don’t like a ton of designed runs but I’m at the point of **** it, he’s getting hit in pocket might as well let him run.

14. Hey Now!

This, times, like, a billion - with one exception: Allen is significantly bigger than Watson. But, otherwise: YES! The size corollary is Jackson.

15. Hey Now!

*An* issue with BOB is that he definitely tries to outsmart himself. I've never seen a coach so afraid of success. It's REALLY weird - and it's only gotten worse as his tenure has gone on.

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Josh Allen is 6'5 238
    Deshaun Watson is 6'2 220

3 inches and 20 lbs is negligible to me.

Im not saying run Deshaun like Allen or Cam .. there are creative ways to get him involved that dont require draws up the middle (right?) but he has to be involved in more ways than just pocket passing.

Shoot some PA rollouts would be nice, or just more PA in general. Do something new not more of the same!

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If QB was 5’11 and 200 it would be a big difference. I think it’s build too, Allen is a thick dude.
    But you’re right, run him outside or pick his spots.

18. Hey Now!

Nobody who has actually seen the two of them believe them to be that close in size. Allen is a monster-freak of a human being.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow. Just wow.

Amazing that Deshaun Watson has been average this year honestly considering how bad EVERYONE is at pass blocking this year. SMH.

RayRay10 and Kim like this.