1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For the love of God can we get 1 elite shooter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Sep 29, 2020.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

For years Morey has been pushing us to shoot more and more 3's which seems to be the right move since the league as a whole has also caught on to the idea and 3 point attempts are going up every year.

But my question is why have we never once during Moreys tenure been able to secure a top 10 season from a player in terms of 3 point %

Or really put any real effort at all into securing an elite knockdown shooter, sure you could say "We went out and got Eric Gordon, he was elite" but he has proven over the years that he is a good borderline on great 3 point shooter but he is not elite by any stretch.

I feel like Morey is only getting half of his math right because sure 3 points are more than 2 but if we cannot execute on those attempts at an elite rate we wont compete with his strategy because the league as whole is already shooting almost as much as us and at more efficient rate than us.

Be interested on why you think it is we cannot find actually great shooter to fit into our system.

2. Buck Turgidson

Do you want:

a) an elite shooter, who really cannot do much else
    or
    b) a less elite shooter, who is more well-rounded

hakeem94, Richie_Rich, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

You want elite players in whatever philosophy you choose... If we are going all in on shooting 3s you would want to be great at that right?

We shoot more 3s than anyone yet statistically we are not an even good 3 point shooting team.

hakeem94, saleem and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Kyle Korver 10 years ago? Gallinari? These are spot players, not anybody you can give big minutes to.

Find the available 2/3/4 who can shoot lights out and play enough defense to stay on the floor.

I don't know who he is.

5. Asian Sensation

James Harden attempted 843 3 pointers. That’s 155 more attempts than the next closest guy Buddy Hield. Harden made 299 and Hield made 271. You do the math... it’s not good.

The reason why we shot so many 3’s is because Harden attempted over 12 a game on 35% shooting. There’s no reason to shoot that many 3’s if you shoot the league average. He sure as hell ain’t no Steph, Klay or even Lillard or Hield.

If getting a better 3 pt shooter means less attempts for Harden then sure I’m all for it but somehow I doubt it.

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

elite shooters who can play semi serviceable defense and know how to dribble are called all stars who get paid max deals.

Even the elite shooters, have slumps, or defense adjusts to their game, PG was a 40% 3PT shooter and look how he performed.

Troy Daniels shouldn’t cost us too much, but I don’t think he fixes our problems, I’d personally point out our 45 million dollar man playing like a garbage truck, getting completely outplayed by Rondo. Then our defense, then our rebounding.

hakeem94, saleem and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Right?

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

In theory that would be nice and I agree.
    But what do people consider as a lights out shooter in terms of %?
    Miami for example have Dragic, Robertson, Herro and Crowder.
    Look over their series with Boston and none were consistent with their 3pt %.

I thought Maclemore could've got more minutes and shots as he's been a good shooter, but defence has been his weakness.
    Is Houstons problem that we need good 3pt shooters that are also good defenders to make up for other players defensive deficiencies? Just asking.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

This is where JVG comes in...he'll whip these scrubs into a defensive...I dunno, something good...pick a word.

He might even still teach them how to score points too.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

yeah it’s pretty much how it works.

Somewhat serviceable defense, and basic dribbling are the two necessary skills for a shooter to have.

The D is for obvious reasons, and the dribbling is for when the D closes out and the player has to put the ball down and drive for a layup or pass. If a player doesn’t have these two things your left with a Ryan Anderson, getting smoked on defense, and when the D closes out our offense collapses due his inability to put the ball down and make a play.

If elite shooters have those 2 skills, then nothing stops them from playing 35 minutes a game, and if a truly elite shooter is playing that many minutes, they are probably averaging 20 points. At this point this hypothetical player is probably an all star.

Troy Daniels just isn’t saving us.

11. gogispade

gogispade Member

Every elite shooter that comes to Houston breaksdown after time becouse the ratio of 3pt shoots goes skyhigh. Ryno was a classic case.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ben McLemore was elite last year.

he is under control via team option for the minimum for another season.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When I watch Miami play this year in the playoffs, I watch Duncan Robinson get shot after shot after shot off and stay on the floor despite not being much of a defender. Like, honestly, the days of a sharpshooter being detrimental to your team's defense might be long gone as long as the dude can hit his 3s consistently. After all, the layup or dunk he gives up is worth less than the 3 he just drained for your team right?

A young Steve Novak with his discount doublecheck belt would be awesome on this team right now.

hakeem94 and Rashmon like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well elite shooters don’t come cheap nowadays. Paying JJ Redick $12 to $14 million a season takes away
    from your defense in the form of money allocated to defenders.

And then there is the reliability factor......Eric Gordon was our elite shooter at approximately $14M and he folded
    like a house of cards.

Miami Heat are doing it with young draftees like Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson.
    Players on rookie contracts......but cold blooded shooters that don’t let a miss get to them.

Edited: in defense of Eric Gordon the Rockets kept asking him to shoot well beyond 3-pt territory.
    38 foot bombs. This was the whole purpose of keeping Clemons on the roster. A guy that will
    shoot 38 footers with no regard for women or children; but D’Antoni wouldn’t play him.

Yes, you lose on defense with Clemons; but can you imagine Harden double team at half court with a
    guy on Clemons on the other side of the court 38 feet away from the basket. Leaving Rockets with
    2 corner shooters and Jeff Green receiving and facilitating from the FT line vs 2 defenders. Or Westbrook
    in place of Jeff Green at the FT line vs 2 defenders (2 Corner shooters ready).

#14 ApacheWarrior, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

let go of Kyle Wiltjer

hakeem94 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You lost me with the Gallo comment. He would start, get minutes at the 4/5 and put up big numbers on this team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. psaman17

psaman17 Member

We tried to sign JJ Reddick a few years ago but he chose Philly instead.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It felt worse in the playoffs. Harden needs to only use his 3 as a change of pace. The pull up 3s, transition 3s, etc especially in the last 5 minutes can be greatly improved. This is where people who believe Harden is infallible dont quite get it. Decision making is where a coach can help.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would have liked JJ Reddick instead of Gordon.