1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Mo Bamba?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Made me laugh. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to take a flier on Bomba. But yeah sometimes we do over hype these guys. For example, I think many here wanted Covington for so long that they built him up in their heads as something greater than he actually is, and they were surprised and disappointed by him in the playoffs. But that shouldn't have been a shock; he's a nice role player but was a disappointment for Philly in a previous playoff.

In general though, I tend to not believe that guys who struggle to see the floor on a bad team can go to a good team and then be a contributor. That doesn't really happen.

raining threes, saleem, fattz and 2 others like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

True. But Bomba is young and only had a year of college. Bigs take longer to develop (even UT bigs: Miles Turner, Jarrett Allen, Jaxson Hayes). I wouldn't give up too much for Bomba, though, especially in an era where skill is more important than size.

#182 topfive, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  3. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I would trade Westbrook to the Knicks for young assets and picks and then acquire Bamba and pickup Josh Jackson as well and play a season where Harden drags a bunch of young guys to at least the second round with a new coaching staff that mentors and grooms young talent. If James has to be moved in a couple of years at least we have young guys to keep us relevant like Boston and Toronto had after they lost their star players.

bumbum09, fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Rockets value known lottery busts that allow them to potentially save money over actually using draft picks on high upside players themselves. It is not surprising that their success with this has been limited to say the least.

saleem likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are bottom 8 instead of top 5 in West if RoCo not traded for Clint.

Not even debatable.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe. I think they still make the playoffs. It is debatable.

Regardless, I wasn't saying I'd rather have Clint than Cov. I'm saying that many on here overhype newcomers or potential targets - and that happened with Covington.

D-rock likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mo Bamba is 2-3 years away from being able to play with the big boys. It’s a good way to waste Russ/Harden If you give up a legitimate piece.

saleem, fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

8 seed vs. 4 seed (within range of top 2 seed) is huge difference.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Can he occasionally get in the way of AD or Bron?

raining threes likes this.
  10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

it’s not just Bron and AD. Gotta take the Clips and GSW into consideration too. All 3 will
    be contenders.

House for Bamba would only be the 1st domino. Morey will need to make more than just that move. That move alone or even the team as currently constructed can’t compete with those 3 in a 7 game series.

I would do House for Bamba in a heart beat tho if it’s straight up.

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

They said the same thing about Capela but you’d be surprised how playing with an MVP accelerates your growth. I mean if he can just catch lobs he will average 15-10.

clos4life likes this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

There are more teams on the rise as well. If NOP get a coach the talent is already there. Dallas is like lookin a mirror on a bad hair day bad. Look we’re Denver is now. The younger players are starting to come into their own.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. He can play the Clint role with no problem, better long term due to actual shooting range.

raining threes, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. Capela started here backing up Dwight Howard, and then earned his spot.

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

More BraBra news

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Capela was developed by MDA and Harden. Does everyone forget that MDA and Harden pushed Clint to work on his stamina (and hands for lob) so he could run like a demon from baseline to baseline for 30 minutes a game.

Prior to that Clint struggled playing 20 minutes.

Rockets system, HC and franchise player (Harden) were integral to Capela's success.

RudyTBag likes this.