1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sounds better than the VA.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

my understanding is that Poland has one of the fastest growing economies in Europe.

IBTL likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

They also have some pretty girls.

4. Nook

Nook Member

There economy is improving, and is vastly superior to where it was 20 years ago when my friend moved to Poland. Still, there are issues, for example many Poles are still struggling to make high wages.

5. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Oh man I remember that ferry. I grew up in Channelview from 1982-1988 - elementary school days...so happy to not be there anymore

BMoney and TWS1986 like this.
  6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

For all intents and purposes, NYC is a different country from the rest of the US. However, even before COVID, the city has been in decline IMO. If things get even uglier here and in the US generally, I’m heading to Croatia.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

@Exiled, care to comment on this post regarding Canada's healthcare system

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear a lot of talk about going to NZ but I get the feeling NZ might not want a lot of Americans coming in. I think the same might go for several other countries.

Ottomaton, arkoe and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

You can only get in if you really are attractive to them from a skill and financial perspective. New Zealand is a wonderful place to live. The only real complaint that I have heard is that it is hard to really move up economically in the country and that has to do with home ownership of bigger houses. My sister spent almost two years in New Zealand and said it was overall a very good place to live, she said it is far better organized and the people are nicer than in Australia.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LOL. I said I wanted to live there. I didn't say NZ wanted me to live there. Honestly, the only reason I don't live there is because of family. It is a small Island of the coast of much bigger Island that's far from the rest of the world. It literally takes at least 9 hours on a plane to go anywhere other than Australia.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry that wasn't directed at your personally just saying in general because I hear a lot of people, not just on Clutchfans talking about wanting to go to NZ.

As Nook says I'm sure they will welcome people with suitable skills and/or a lot of money. I highly doubt they will welcome a rush of people. Their economy is limited because of their small population size and remote location. From talking to some Kiwis I think they like it that way.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Go figure, a small group of likeminded and similar people want to be left to their own biddings. If the country is self sustaining and not requiring assistance from others then I have no problem with them wanting that.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just like any smart country, they welcome people with skills they have shortages of and money. It's like how Austin view Californians. People who already live here hate them, but are more than happy to take their money.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/why-choose-nz/compare-new-zealand/usa

No Worries, Deckard and TWS1986 like this.
  14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Probably Canada, Germany or scandinavia.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

If Texas secedes from the union, moving to another state technically would be moving to another country.

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Like Portugal?

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The Mediterranean state?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wherever my wife allows us to live.

Not her native Brasil. We agree on that much.

Since she spent so much time learning English? Australia, New Zealand. We could live with other Americans fleeing the U.S.A. in our town of Antitrumplandia.

To be honest, Portugal would be high on the list. We speak the language.

rockbox likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, but he was waxing poetical when he had his character, Jake Barnes, say that in The Sun Also Rises. Hemingway was an expatriate living in Paris and working as a journalist during the 1920's, part of Gertrude Stein's post-war "Lost Generation." I'm beginning to think that we may be seeing the creation of another "Lost Generation." Not due to the aftermath of a horrific war, but because of the pandemic, the "Plague," it's enormous impact and the politics surrounding it. It would be more apt to call it the "Lost Generations," however. Everyone is affected. Everyone.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member

interlaken switzerland
    cancun
    outside vancouver
    west / nw london
    isle of wight england
    san sebastian spain
    paris perhaps nice avignon area
    bergen norway and north
    nz
    sigtuna sweden @Master Baiter

i lived in san sebastian year and half. it got stale sure but I would take it over anywhere else in spain despite being biased. madrid might be the other. madrid night life is really good.
    san sebastian really is a neat magical place. a good friend from there moved around and even tried to live in usa. in end he is back there. i think that says something about the place.

it can get cool enough and it rains a fair bit in fall and spring. there is a reason it is green and not yellow. pretty windy..not as much pure beach time as you might think.

still amazing food and nightlife. fuenterrabia saint jeab de luz and biarritz are also worth treks to from ss.

in spain in general the job scene is tough.also if you raise kids there their ability to get jobs is within that framework. its tough. i would hold on to usa ties too.

its highly likely ss is a place I end up retiring if you want to hang. that will be 15 years or so from now although most likely i will be dead. if you get a chance try to be in ss for jan 19

Master Baiter and Deckard like this.