1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I just don't understand how BOB still has his job. What does it take to lose your job as the head coach of the Texans? I mean, seriously, what did he do to earn this kind of power and loyalty from ownership?

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Do the next right thing like Jack and O’Brien like to say now Cal...and fire O’Brien.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They know who they are. So does everyone else except for Cal and possibly BoB himself.

RayRay10, Pringles and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Cannot wait for the ‘Next Texans Head Coach?’ thread :oops:

King1, RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We will be in year 7 of a 3yr rebuild and BOB remains untouchable.

7. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

We all clamoring to fire BOB, but sadly guys he's not going anywhere.

Such a waste of Watson's talent.

King1, gatsby, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  8. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

we are just doing what's best for the team

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Honestly, haven't watched more than 1 or 2 games except what appears on Redzone for the last 3 years. Fire Bill Obrien. Free Deshaun Watson.

juanm34 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Has Bill O'Brien done a single good thing since becoming GM? Watson was a Rick Smith move. Name me one good move O'Brien has done as a gm. I can pinpoint 5 completely awful ones.

clos4life likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Even Doc Rivers got fired. Come on Cal!!!

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Even IF he has, its been completely buried by everything else he has done

coachbadlee and RayRay10 like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeesh. And how many years are we into Bill's 5 year plan? (Hint: This is the start of year 7.)

This inspired me to do some research on Football Reference over dinner.

upload_2020-9-28_19-9-27.png

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Keep Bob, doesn't matter. Ain't winning **** as long as Mahomes/Chiefs are around. To quote Joe Lacob, they are "light years ahead" & it's not even funny. (And I'm not talking light years ahead of just the Texans)

What makes Mahomes better than Watson
    "Go hire Eric Bieniemy."

It's not Eric Bieniemy. It's Andy Reid. It's Mahomes. That's like go hire Josh McDaniels/Bill O'Brien because of Brady/Belichick.

Eric Bieniemy? On that note, why not Mike Kafka? :rolleyes: He's the QB coach/PGC.
    Eric Bieniemy? He's a career RB coach. Maybe he can help David Johnson get going!

#6057 J.R., Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Nook, RayRay10, Hey Now! and 2 others like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Watching this KC-Baltimore game...and then there's the Patriots and Titans and Colts...

We have exactly 0% at winning this year. Maybe BOB feasts on an easy schedule as he likes to do but we'll be set up for another embarrassing playoff loss.

RayRay10, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I usually don’t listen to 610 they slurp the Texans 24/7...but even they can’t put lipstick on this pig. (Well maybe Vandemeer and John Harris can).

Everybody knows it. The guy can’t coach. The guy can’t be a GM. The offense is old and predictable. The defense is soft and overpaid.

And something tells me that he’ll cut David Johnson before the end of the season.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'll give him two very feeble credits for the sake of discussion...

1) I thought the *idea* (idea does NOT equal execution) of trading Deandre Hopkins was shrewd. Leverage an asset on the + side (rather than waiting to do it on the - side) to free up cash for more important assets (Watson & Tunsil) & replenish depleted draft stock. Belichick never would've found himself down 4 high-end draft picks (BOB's own mistake) - but it's the kind of move he'd make. And I still maintain, if he had landed an OBJ-like return, it would've possibly been worth it.

2) As much as he overpaid for Tunsil, I'll give him credit for at least targeting a young asset. He could've overpaid for Trent Williams. Or thrown a bunch of money at XYZ free agent. If you're going to swing for the fences, at least he gambled on a 25-year old.

I think........... that's it? BTW, did you guys see the note (maybe I read it here) that no rookies from this year's draft class played a single snap in Sunday's game? That is brutal.

One more thing... Bill O'Brien needs to be fired. Immediately. But I will continue to maintain that there is exactly one great coach in the NFL and then there's a tier of good(-ish) coaches who rise/fall based on many things outside their control (look at the Saints and Michael Thomas; or the Eagles and their OL). Most NFL coaches fall here. And then there's a tier below that of truly mediocre coaches who actively make their teams worse.

I think BOB has devolved into that bottom tier. His inability to build a competent, sustainable offense around Watson - while so many other coaches are having success doing exactly that with their QBs - is a stinging indictment. McDermott has turned Josh Allen into an MVP candidate - *that's* the big mark against BOB right now. Buffalo has taken an inferior QB and built an offense around his strengths and they look unbeatable.

It's so frustrating.

Kim, RayRay10 and cmoak1982 like this.