1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to consider Ty Lue or JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 15, 2020.

1. El Chappie

El Chappie Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned but would they consider a Mark Jackson for assistant to JVG? Also a lot of younger coachera are thriving. Wouldn’t mind if rockets tried to entice Tim Duncan develope that type of culture.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yes those painful ugly slow grinding half court sets with yao and tmac was awful to watch and we spit blood to score every possession.

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

One benefit to the JVG potential new beginning is that Harden would be his offensive coordinator basically. It wouldn’t be as bad as it was back then

Rudyc281, BigShasta and bmelo like this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Those half court offenses were because of the teams we had. How were we supposed to play with more pace with Yao as the main center piece? With Russ and Harden he will adjust to their strengths .

bmelo likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

A Coach that Trusts Younger players off the bench. Give the younger players minutes and give them confidence heading into the playoffs and have a Solid 10 man Rotation.

Charisma, Leadership, Father Figure, Holding them Accountable. Knows Xs and Os on Defense.

That is Rudy Tomjanovich trusting Rookie Sam Cassell over a Veteran Kenny Smith, Robert Horry starting as a Small Forward.

Grow younger players and give them opportunities to succeed and Daryl needs to step up and find better Longer Defenders.

fattz and saleem like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i love JVG and i think he could help us; we'd certainly be more consistent defensively. but look, we actually played pretty good defense during the playoffs, and that's not why we lost. we lost because our team is fundamentally unbalanced. it doesn't really matter who we bring in as the coach, without significant changes to personnel, we just aren't gonna get to that next level of contention.

I'd personally love to be the team that gave Sam his shot. Long live the Alien!

#126 Aruba77, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Rudyc281 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mark Jackson is poisonous.

8. bmelo

bmelo Member

Exactly. There was also Juwan Howard and injured Bob Sura. How you gonna play motion offense with that lol

BigShasta likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

John Lucas is our man. I do like Sam, too. A combination of Sam and Lucas. Lucas as head coach and Sam as lead associate. We need an understanding and strong father figure type (Doc Rivers-ish), development of youth. I am not completely comfortable giving Harden’s legacy to Sam Cassell. I also think Harden and Westbrook would team up on a coach, too if things aren’t going their way.

10. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Can we get Rick Adleman back out of retirement? The guy got a raw deal when he was forced to coach the likes of Aaron Brooks and Kevin Martin at the end. Yao and McGrady were already broken down or gone by that point. But the ball movement was a thing of beauty and fun to watch.

Going for JVG or Ty Lue is just not thinking outside of the box and trying to go for the safe pick again.

PhilCollins, jimmyv281 and BigShasta like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Lol. No it was not. The problem was he had absolutely no movement on offense, no plays, no cutting etc..This became more evident when Adelman got here and the offense took off with Yao playing in the high post. JVG was dinosaur then, he'd be considered extinct now

12. hakeemthagreat

The problem is Morey ran off Adelman too. This guy runs off every coach that comes here

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeaj but we need more then iso hero ball and shoot 50+ 3s a game and no more harden just at the top of the key.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Van Gundy would want a point guard he could control.. Westbrook would be gone.... which is fine with me but I question his coaching ability.....game 7 at home to the jazz, we lose. Rick the ruler was breath of fresh air he just didn’t have Yao and mac in their prime. I do credit van Gundy For developing Yao.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jeff Van Gundy Coaching Russell Westbrook reminds me Jeff Coaching Steve Francis. It is just a bad fit all the way around.

Its Francis and Mobley with Iso Offense all over again.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I like John Lucas as a player-development assistant. But he does have a head-coaching track record in the NBA, and it wasn't exactly stellar. Not sure he is the right guy for this job.

Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no update on the interview progress, mouthpiece feigen on vacation?

i'm thinking we probably do like w/ player free agency and just wait till the very end to see what coaches are still left on the board jobless so we can lowball em to the floor

PhilCollins, Rudyc281 and Little Bit like this.
  18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

It would make sense to interview coaching staff from the lakers and heat.

19. ball king23

ball king23 Member

who do you think has a good shot at coaching I always like your opinion and thoughts on who the new coach should be you have a favorite

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Morey understand Ty Lue can be just another mouth breathing puppet that he can control if the paycheck is on time.

But hiring JVG, there is a high chance that he will blow up this whole team by mid season and trading everyone away and actually JVG may prefer that option (see how he leaded a G-league US team to play the international games).

I am sure he will explain that option to Tillman.