1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dealing with near grown children with different political ideology

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

So I have two kids and I use the term “kids“ loosely because one is in college at MTSU, the other is going to technical school related to the health field with an almost guarantee job placement

the oldest that goes to MTSU is a hardcore liberal, has liberal friends and going for a degree in sociology and wants to get a Masters degree. She has built up more school debt but she lives at home and we help her with many expenses such as rent free, car Payment , insurance and phone bill but her school loan is mainly on her ..(We helped on a certain amount)

the youngest that just finished high school and is going to technical school has similar bills covered and her technical school is nearly paid for already because we vowed to be equal on the amount covered

everything we do is fair however the oldest has a larger debt because of the school she is attending.

my oldest is the only liberal in the household.
    I’m pro Trump, my wife is moderate and prefers not to dwell in politics and my youngest use to be moderate but is just as Pro Trump as me now

so today as 3 of us was in the car because we took the pet to a vet and we dropped off her car for service, on the way back - I made a comment about the ongoing protests in America that the oldest did not like and after trying to explain why I said what I did she only got more upset and put her hands to her ears and started singing incoherently..after she did this I told her, are you serious you are 21 and acting like a child, to that she got mad at both me and her sister when my youngest daughter took my side.
    She accused the youngest of being the favorite (the two girls were ready to hit each other near the end while in the car) in the family and went to her room and said she needs time

This is in real time, ...I thought about posting this in D&D but there is too much toxicity at times, I wanted to know from you guys what is the best approach later today? I love both my girls equally regardless is they agree with me on my politics, I hate that because of my stance it seems the sisters have hurt their own relationship as well. I do think in many ways the youngest is more mature but like I said I don’t want to play favorites. What do you think and do you have anything similar in a household?

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I'm a republican and **** trump

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think you just keep bide your time. Trump will continue to bring the country together and heal the wounds of the past. With an empathetic, compassionate, but strong leader like Trump. It’s only a matter of time. Good luck

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How about not bringing up politics within the family....?

Not only dividing strangers across the country, now dividing families across the country......

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So you knew politics would be contentious and you brought it up anyway?

My advise would be to stop doing that.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hopefully we survive this, and in 20 years we'll all look back and people will be dumbstruck that supporting Trump was viewed as a reasonable political ideology by half the country.

JayZ750, Nook, Reeko and 6 others like this.
  7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am not a Trumper but my parents are.......we don't speak anymore about anything that is remotely political, its often very awkward

Pringles, Reeko, gatsby and 2 others like this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Raising children is not easy. Sometimes parents forget they are not raising best friends or trying to raise a human how they want them to turn out, but raising a human to be the best version of themselves.

That said, its time to view your daughter as an independent adult. In other words, be yourself. If you're someone who doesn't care about the impact of your words, regardless of what is said, then carry on. If you're a well centered mature adult and are sensitive to other peoples beliefs, then perhaps be respectful of her beliefs. Me personally, I do not have discussions of any topic if the person is very passionate about their beliefs....if I care about the relationship.

Jayzers_100, Nook, Reeko and 8 others like this.
  9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Not sure how it happened but my three teenaged boys are fully anti trump...

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

this's may make you feel better :
    she's liberal , but her debts is so republicans .

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

21? Pics. Thx. NEXT

TWS1986, jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  12. ROXRAN

Thanks for the replies y’all. Good words by several and just needed to hear it out. My wife told me just don’t bring it up again Lol - right now I’m more concerned about both daughters getting along because they use to be BFF close and they aren’t so much now, I think that’s what bothers me the most.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Discussing contentious things like this never changes any opinions. It's even worse when you do it in person since it's harder to walk away. That's why I never discuss Texans football with Cowboys fans.

14. ROXRAN

P.s., she just came over and apologized and I did so too. We hugged . Good moment

CXbby, Pringles, AXG and 16 others like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No one likes that raging political loudmouth relative.

Nook, gatsby, BamBam and 4 others like this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're not sure? Politics, in and of itself, is already divisive. Trump has been one of the most polarizing (if the the most) presidents America has ever had.

I don't know you nor your boys personally, but I can definitely see why people are on either end of the spectrum.

This post is the winner.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When are you gonna apologize for being such an ass in the D&D?

I still remember what you said abou RBG.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Don't bring your D&D personality to real life especially around people you love.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Be proud of your girl for being wiser than you. ;)

Honestly yall just have to avoid talking about it. Which takes both of you being mindful to avoid any political discussion. My father is an extreme conspiracy theorist and if I didn't have control over my emotions I'm certain It would lead to fistfights, as he has no ability to do so and everything continuously escalates if the conversation isn't stopped.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't have talked politics with your kid if it is obvious that she disagrees with you, but you figured that out. She showed her intelligence by apologizing to you, "keeping peace in the family," and you certainly did the right thing by apologizing as well. That's good. Best to avoid the subject in the future, in my opinion.

We're fortunate that our two grown kids, who graduated from college and support themselves (thank goodness!), largely agree with our politics. Of course, I was crafty while they were growing up. They both loved The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, so I let them watch the previous night's show while having a snack after they got home from high school (our daughter) and middle school (our son). Because we generally agree politically, the four of us can enjoy talking politics. Well, not so much now, but it has nothing to do with our relationship. ;-)