1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Google searches are all over the map with no clear winners.

Personally, all I need are consistent broadband, air conditioning and power.

New Zealand and Australia seem like good destinations. Canada and Nordic countries are good except for the f@$#-no winters. Belize and Costa Rica seem like good spots south of the border.

Not interested in politics or religious reasons, just some good discussion.

#1 Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut and boomboom like this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

New Zealand or Japan would be my first choice. I'd be open to British Columbia in Canada also.

plutoblue11 and Xerobull like this.
  3. Xerobull

Japan seems really amazing but there are two downsides IMO: Cost of living and being next to a growing superpower that is holding a grudge for WWII atrocities.

Oh, and ninja. Those guys will **** you up.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I couldn't comment on New Zealand, but I have a friend that has turned a 1 year contract for work into now 7 years living outside of Tokyo. He and his wife have even had their first kid there. They live in an English speaking expat area and townhouse compound. They love it for the most part except there is a ton of racism against non Japanese still in the society. Also, they have learned Japanese living there, but have commented it was extremely hard to be a non native speaker for the first couple of years.

As long as you're in the heavily populated touristy areas you can get away with English only, but anywhere outside of those areas, its really hard to communicate.

They also comment that the standard of living is a lot lower. The vast majority of people live in tiny apartments or super old run down houses and really can't build any wealth or security. They do well because they are expats for a big internet company, but wouldn't be able to live there as comfortably as they do on their income.

foh, IBTL, Yung-T and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xerobull

Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, a few cities in China, S. Korea are all spots I would probably try out if I were single. Since I have a family and a need for things, I think those rotate to lower on my personal list.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

mongolia. just seems like a nice play to live out the rest of my days. away from the fast paced crowded city life.

Ubiquitin, Kim and STR8Thugg like this.
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

In the process of getting dual citizenship in Italy, I could easily live there.

8. Xerobull

Lots of nice farmland thawing out, first time available in 20,000 years!

foh and Jontro like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

New Zealand, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Yucutan

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Probably Taiwan.

Equal access healthcare (universal), an absolute abundance of a variety of veggies and fruits. I can somewhat speak the language. Temperatures vary between regions, so you're not stuck in a particular climate regardless of where you go in the country. Great response to Covid-19.

Beautiful landscapes, etc.

Invisible Fan, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Somewhere in the French or Italian countryside away from civilization. Or pretty much anywhere in the western European countryside.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

depends at what stage of ages,
    early 20s : Houston ,
    30s : Clear lake ,
    40s : Beaumont
    50s : re_Houston
    60s : Galveston

BigShasta, IBTL and tmoney1101 like this.
  13. Xerobull

I feel that. And everyone knows you can fake Italian with the right voice inflections and gesturing.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Singapore- clean, everybody is accountable, educated, good economy, good food and only a hop skip to anywhere else.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Italy for the pace of life and the food, Switzerland for the beautiful scenery, Denmark for the social safety nets, or New Zealand for just being cool man.

No Worries, AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  16. boomboom

Supporting Member

Forgot about the ninjas. Maybe Japan is out. Unless I can join the ninja club and become one. Then maybe Japan's back on.

And...now I'm considering Hello Kitty and Pocky...Japan is definitely back on.

17. Buck Turgidson

Don't lie...the thought of vending machines full of used panties intrigues you.

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Outside of Tokyo and downtown Osaka, it isn't that expensive imo. The small to mid-sized cities are just nice for me - not too crowded, affordable, yet all the amenities a city-dweller could want. If you can pick up the language it's a great place to live. If employment wasn't a consideration i'd probably live there.

Kim, Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

Somewhere near the ocean. I like water.

AroundTheWorld and Xerobull like this.
  20. boomboom

Supporting Member

What I don't get is that they actually sell that stuff...but fuzzy out the kitty in pr0n. Something doesn't add up.