1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. conquistador#11

It sounded like every presser after a playoff loss. I didn't get a different vibe.

Pringles, red5rocket and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This guy is ruining our football lives.. but it starts at the top.

Looking at you Cal

BigShasta, King1, CometsWin and 4 others like this.
  3. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Cal can’t hear you while he laughs all the way to the bank.

As long as people still watch and buy merchandise, it doesn’t matter if the Texans win or not. The Texans are content with being competitive, proud to hang up division championship banners. O’Brien will not be fired this year no matter the final record. COVID, lack of a preseason, etc. will be one of many excuses as to why the Texans did not have a good season. They will go into the offseason with limited funds and no 1st or 2nd round draft picks (which at this rate The first round pick will be a top ten pick).

Next season if they start off slow again, then maybe Cal will pay attention and decide to make a change. Who knows. Like many of you, I’m tired of losing and hearing excuses. While I am not an NFL coach or GM, the moves that O’Brien has made look really suspect up to this point and I don’t see it getting better any time soon. The coaching on both ends of the ball seem to have the same issues as last season, lack of a pass rush on defense and inability to cover the middle of the field, and the same old tired offense that looks the exact same as last season, despite having a new OC.

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Not even 2-14? That got Capers and Kubiak fired. This team is too talented for that though unless they quit on BOB.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Over the cap has the Texans at an estimated 18 million over the projected cap for next year. There are going to be some starters cut this off season and add that to not having a 1st or 2nd round pick and this team will be worse before its better.

RayRay10, cmoak1982, Pringles and 2 others like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Watching the Gruden led Raiders makes me feel so depressed about the Texans.... The demise of this team going to be slow and brutal..

Jturbofuel likes this.
  7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Considering they made BoB the GM after the KC debacle in the playoff, Texans will waive the entire roster minus Watt and Watson before they fire BoB.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Believe it’s closer to $8M but you’re going to see some major cap casualties. There is a very likely scenario where Randall Cobb and Duke Johnson are the only offensive skill players (not including TEs) under contract going into the offseason.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Look at what they are doing with Cam Newton in New England (why cant we do some of that stuff? That first RPO pop pass was awesome)

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

2-14 is literally the only thing that will get a coach fired from the Texans. Continuity is much more important than winning playoff games.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Sadly, I think the floor with Deshaun as QB is about 7 wins which is probably enough to keep OB's job. Unless the team just turns on him and quits which I think is unlikely. Although I am sensing a more strained relationship between players and OB after the Nuk trade -- JJ's comments after the game were much sharper and more pointed than usual.

RayRay10 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I picked that up too.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There are so many excuses to not fire BOB.

Not only is he the HC but he's the GM that's getting paid through 2022. At the same time, Cal is still paying the last GM (Gaine), through 2022, I believe. If he's fired, that means HC and GM is fired. Cal will have to pay a new GM and HC. That's 4 guys he's paying for 2 positions now. Is Cal willing to pay that?

Not to mention, next GM/HC does not have any picks in the first two rounds.

Most likely, BOB will be here for atleast through the 2021 season.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Texans are running a lot of RPO (the Cobb in the flat is an RPO) they’re just shitty designed or executed.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In order for me.

1. Dabo - Deshaun Watson ties plus I think he’s real religious and Easterby is as well...we could end up letting O’Brien go and keeping Easterby?...Could he fire his friend Bill?

2. McDaniels - New England ties and could provide a real smooth transition. Also has ties to Easterby.

3. Bieniemy - Doing wonders in KC

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I guess - that is such a bad effort from everyone I find it hard to even call it RPO especially with what is being offered in the passing layers. Doesnt help when you run the same pathetic "RPO" shell 25 times in a game either. I guess my point is run the GOOD RPO plays!

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree there man. It’s been the same RPO since last year with Fells or another TE lead blocking and then becoming pass option.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The flat was open tho.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Even Mad Max wants to fry BoB
    Screenshot_20200922-081711_Chrome.jpg

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

sure was - put it into the progression or make it the point of emphasis on the progression.

It was a dummy route every single time - thats why Peters peeled off there was nothing to worry about in the flat.

edit: sorry it copied the wrong quote bro, I was responding to the "Cobb was open" in the flat comment.