1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Springer video

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Dalton Pence, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Obviously this doesn’t come as a surprise, but George’s response is very similar to that of Gerrit Cole’s. Springer is in line for a huge payday and it’s going to suck to see him in a different uni

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

His reaction after the 2nd homer was pretty telling

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Not so sure he is going to get that huge pay day like he has hoped for.

Do not be shocked when baseball owners tighten the strings AGAIN to punish the players, like they did a few years ago.

Springer may have to accept the QO or look at a lower contract than he wants from the Astros.

Springer is obviously good, but he has a #1 pick cost and there are some nagging injury concerns.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Springer will be 32 when the playoffs roll around next season.

A season that may include a major labor dispute (and no playoffs), is coming off a huge Covid financial hangover, and may include expanded playoffs negating regular season importance. Not to mention having to hand over a 1st round pick and him being attached to the scandal.

A ton of factors are working against Springer's earning potential right now.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Is there any context? What is he specifically concerned about, couldn't this just mean the free agent market in general?

awc713 and TWS1986 like this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

what did he do?

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes curious what he did? All I know is he was a beast getting 2 clutch hits yesterday. We go as he goes it seems and his clubhouse presence can't be beat as he keeps everything light (although he started the year off tight due to all the bad press).

His value to the Astros the past several years can not be understated. Of course, I am glad it is not me to be the one to make the choice of paying Springer but I can see it either way. I really hope we find a way to keep him but understand if he is looking to get paid. Love how much he wanted that inside the park home run yesterday!

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Put his fist in the air after passing 1st and then pumped it when it went over the wall with what looked like a "**** yeah" coming out of his mouth.

He then got to home plate, pointed to the sky with his thumb and pinky out (like normal), and generally acted like he normally does. Not sure what happened when he got to the dugout, but he was pretty pumped going back to the dugout after his first homer.

Edit: Here's the video, looks pretty pumped back at the dugout too

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What is happening now? o_O

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yeah seemed like pretty normal reaction for springer in that situation .

Im not worried about him in FA , i assume he wants to test the waters , i assume he wants to try and focus on the clubhouse and winning the rest of the season .

he will go or he will stay . I am in agreement with @Nook that FA $ is gonna be depressed this offseason so we might have a better shot at keeping him than was thought before 2020 .

awc713, TWS1986 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't see the interview, but someone is doing some selective editing (not sure who):
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...final-series-at-home-win-D-Backs-15582264.php

everyday eddie, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Basically the answer he should give. If he had no desire to consider playing elsewhere, I'm sure he'd have already signed an extension. Maybe he stays, maybe he goes. He certainly doesn't owe the organization anything beyond this season. I will hope he stays, since he should be a franchise icon given what he meant to the revival of Astros baseball, his superstar play, and of course his MVP performance in delivering the first WS title in team history.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He has every right to see what his value is around the league... especially after being held down 1-2 years past his projected call-up.

If the Astros offer the most money, or come close, they have a fairly decent shot at keeping him.... but nobody should expect any sort of discount.

Altuve/Bregman got fair market-value extensions given their previous contract status. The Astros did guarantee Springer slightly more in the two arbitration years prior to this one.

He's still this team's most productive overall player, both offense and defense combined, but it will be tough to justify offering anything more than a 5 year deal.

RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also the Cole comparisons are pretty dumb other than the likelihood the the Astros got the best possible years out of both Cole and Springer, and other teams are likely to be paying exorbitant money for past performance. Springer's 6+ years here, after being drafted, is exactly the sort of production you want to get out of a homegrown first round pic.

I think a 3-4 year incentive-laden deal for Springer is more than fair... but they're probably looking for a 5-6 year deal.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I've more or less assumed that he would be gone. He's going to do what is best for him, and the odds are that someone will show him the money. He's probably excited about finally looking like someone who is worth the money after the slow start he had.

16. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

If Springer won’t resign with us, hopefully we can get Brantley/Yuli on board. Or Brantley plus LeMahieu. Is 3 years 60-70M enough to get him out of NY? I think he’s a year older than Springer.

everyday eddie and TWS1986 like this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We don't know what the course of COVID is going to be, but its definitely in the realm of possibilities that we have to deal with it next year just like this year. So a even bigger hangover may be in store for 2022 or 2023.

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

After Altuve, Springer is Mr Astro. I want us to pay what it takes to keep him.

bcast89, No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  19. awc713

awc713 Member

I wouldn't read too much into this reaction, and I don't think this video is at all like the Cole interview. Springer was likely instructed by his agent not answer these types of questions, anyways. I mean, what type of sound bite did the Reporter expect? George is right...he's more focused/ worried, as he should be, about this season (and the status of Earth during 2020) than his pending free agency. I'm sure two things will happen: 1) we will give him our sweetest possible offer, and 2) he will sign with whoever offers him the most moolah. As a side note, if I'm George, I'm not forgetting that the Astros essentially held him back a year. I love George and hopefully he stays an Astro forever, it'll just be a question of whether there's a team to offer into his perceived range.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I must be too inebriated to garner the meaning, but when he said “I’m concerned about what’s happening now", WTF is he talking about? Concerned about what specifically? I can think of a dozen things to be concerned about.

arkoe and Surfguy like this.