1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did you mean to say “Biden?” I’m assuming you did and I strongly disagree. I don’t see The Vice-President doing that at all. In fact, I think he’ll throw the book at him.

Biden understands better than most just how must damage trump has caused to our country and what he could have prevented. trump has been an out of control cancer infecting our nation, our political system, and causing divisiveness worse than what I saw during the 1960’s, when we were dealing with Vietnam, the draft, the fight for civil rights, women’s rights. I wasn’t a kid then and I can tell you things were pretty bad.

What trump has done, continues to do to our country, is vastly worse. That’s without mentioning trump’s willful and disastrous handling of the pandemic. I’m guessing that you are thinking of Ford’s pardon of Nixon. There is no comparison, in my opinion. What Nixon did in his misguided effort to insure his victory in the 1972 election was child’s play in comparison.

mikol13, malakas, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The most difficult words in the English language: I was wrong. The 38% will never utter them. For various reasons.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I did say Biden. One of the biggest things Biden is pushing is a return to normalcy and for pretty much all of Biden's career he has shown a deference and willingness to abide by norms and uphold stability. While Trump breaks norms left and right we've never had a prosecution of an ex-President. Remember Jimmy Carter thanked Gerald Ford for pardoning Nixon. Knowing how much trouble Trump and his supporters could make I think Biden would want to find a way as quickly and smoothly as possible to put Trump behind him and move the country on.

A prosecution of an ex-President especially one that didn't concede the election, continuing to claim it was rigged, and with a fanatical following will be something the country has never seen and likely to be even more ugly and divisive than what we have now. So yes Trump is worse than Nixon. He's worse because Nixon knew when to resign whereas Trump shows no indication. He's worse because he has a more fanatical following and one that likes to show off how armed they are. I don't see Biden wanting to take that on and I think he will want to find as much of a way to move on from Trump as quickly and smoothly as possible. It might not be a pardon. It might be having the DOJ negotiate some sort of agreement, it might be just having the DOJ lay off pursuit of Trump.

My view is less based upon Trump and more based upon Biden.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I understand your argument. If Biden is that worried about civil unrest, even if trump revels in it, then he can offer exile to Russia and to trump’s good friend, Vladimir Putin. That, and no more.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It could be something like that.

My read on Biden is that he doesn't want to be the President that is seen as trying his predecessor while people are literally fighting in the streets.

Deckard, mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My ardent wish is that Biden is confronted with this problem . . . how to dispose of trump, who is likely, in my opinion, guilty of treason, as well as other crimes. If Trump is allowed to steal the election, I’m afraid that you will see exactly what you fear. What we should all fear.

RayRay10 and ROXTXIA like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden will only go after Trump if Trump forces him. I don't think Trump will do this. Trump is not one to force a confrontation he can not win. He will protect himself and his family once he realizes that to push forward would risk that.

At the same time he won't want to go to prison. And that is where a deal will be made between Biden & Trump if Biden wins. Trump will publically call the result a fraud, but he will take no real steps to fighting the result in exchange for not being prosecuted.

Biden will be under extreme pressure to go after Trump, but Biden will likely go after everyone BUT Trump and his family which will placate most Dems long enough that Trump can fade away.

Trump will likely leave the country anyway as NYS will not stop going after him and his family.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the leader of our country. This is why so many have died. He doesn't care. He still spreads lies about the risks of Covid.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

To have a dictatorship or coup d'etat it needs direct military power.
    Does Trump have generals or admirals and troops that are more royal to him than the country?

No judges or lawyers are going to do anything that a general strike can't solve.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

I think the one thing that may factor into any decision Biden might have to make should he win... what trump and his supporters do in attacking Biden's family. If the sham investigation into Biden's son continues... I suspect Biden won't be as willing say "bygones"...

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Good point. I certainly have more faith in our military leaders in resisting any type of military force on the people, but the line blurs at some point whether it's military or civil. I believe Trump would rip away at Democracy and push the boundaries as far as he could, because he has no regard for laws, and thrives on power and control. He absolutely loves it. It feeds his narcissism. He lies to make himself look better in any situation. He has no remorse. He has all the qualities of a Fascist type leader, and it's scary. He's already mentioned running more terms too many times to find comfortable. I believe he wants to be just like Putin.

He uses propaganda techniques, racial threats, fear mongering and lies to sway people and instill division and fear, just like Hitler did. SS police weren't military, but were extreme. I don't see us going that far, but I see him already letting white gun toting guys like his so called Patriots act like enforcers. Those kind of guys would love being SS Police. I really don't see it going that far, but then again I never thought I'd see a lot of the things he does from a President.

As for the judges, lawyers, and power seeking loyalists, I have little faith. He hires and fires yes men, with a quench for power and money much stronger than their moral duty to do what's right. They are the kind of men who have backed him, even when they knew what they were doing could have deadly consequences. They have backed him. even when they knew he was guilty of corruption. They have backed him, even though they knew he was lying out his teeth. They have backed him, even though he was pushing orders that he didn't have a right to do.

If Trump remains in power and the GOP controls the Senate, I do believe they will give Trump the green light to push the boundaries of Democracy in America, and that we will never know the real truth when our President speaks. The Facade of making America Great will continue, but will it be a Democracy really?

Will Red States be funded differently than Blue States? Will Red States be praised and Blue States be spit on? Will justice for all begin to disappear? Will the President start pardoning felons who covered his as*? Will violence be condemned differently depending on the skin color of the offender? Oh, wait, all of that is happening already.

This is why voting Biden is so important. Its not even all about healthcare, education, and fair wages. Its all about doing what's right. We need a man who we can trust to help the people. We need a man who doesn't instill fear and hate over people unlike him and his rich friends like Trump. We need a man that sees suburbs in color, not black and white. We need a man who shows empathy, love, and understanding of people suffering, and wants to help those who need it most, instead of those who need it least. Most of all, we need a man who will do his best to unite our nation in times of trouble, listen to the experts, and strive for a better America, and a better world.

#5292 deb4rockets, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I hope Biden does this knowing New York will go after trump For which a presidential pardon will be useless

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Pentagon used taxpayer money meant for masks and swabs to make jet engine parts and body armor
    Shortly after Congress passed the Cares Act, the Pentagon began directing pandemic-related money to defense contractors
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/22/covid-funds-pentagon/

No Worries, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I highly doubt the military will support Trump trying to use them to stay in power if he loses. I do think there are plenty of Trump supporters who fully believe Trump and will believe the election was rigged. Many of these are the same one's who show up armed at anti-lockdown protests and Trump brags about.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

The difference between listing to scientific and medical experts and listening to a known liar who is simply trying to keep hold of the presidency...

Deckard, RayRay10, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trump is probably not wrong about the numbers

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

q aaa
    This is exactly right!! For anyone to try and defend Trump's negligence and incompetence is just a person who's had their head in the sand since March.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Only a psychotic narcissist could give himself an A+ score for the way he has handled this pandemic. The world he lives in is not even close to reality. His reality only exists in his head. The man is sick and dangerous.

20. NewRoxFan