1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The market was hurting. Time to pump smoke.

If anything, Trump should sit this term out. Position it as - "fine, let's see how the Dem's run things", hand them the **** sandwich, then come back in 4 years on a platform of - "look what the Dem's did". Lulz.

But... don't give him that idea.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So he he thinks Biden failed badly with 12,469 deaths in a year from swine flu (Biden wasn't the President by the way), yet he has done an incredible job of 202,874 Americans deaths in less than 7 months?

Also, he lied out his teeth and rebutted scientists and medical experts the whole time. That is negligent criminal behavior.

This just shows how dangerous he is to spread such blatant lies through social media during a pandemic. He really is a sick and twisted man driven by his extreme narcissistic behavior.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Once he's out of office he has God knows how many court cases open against him. Campaign finance. Deutsche bank. Etcetera.

Naw, for him it's one more shot at the Grift House or the Big House.

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

... despite the former vice president [Biden] saying in February that he “would not be taking China’s word” on the coronavirus and demanding that U.S. health officials be allowed into the country.

Outgoing China ambassador: Trump ‘believed the Chinese’ early in pandemic
    The remarks from the Trump appointee and former longtime Iowa governor represent an apparent break with the White House.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/18/china-ambassador-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-417648https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/18/china-ambassador-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-417648

malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  6. sw847

sw847 Member

Good take, but personally I don’t quiet understand everything u said.
    Stock market is a poor indicator of overall economy status, especially in an event of a crisis. Considering that most institutions/hedge funds don’t operate like normal companies, America’s overall economy will not feel the effects of the virus till next year (same as most countries), by then institutions would have pulled their funds out of the Market, leaving the average joe to take the blunt of the impact.

In terms of Chinese spreading, America was the first country to implement a travel ban if I remember correctly. The problem was Europe, when it exploded in Europe, America did not implement a travel ban till it was too late. Same with nz, all but one case came from Europe or America, with that one case from Iran I think. Guess it’s politically motivated as well.

But it still doesn’t explain masks. I just don’t get it sorry

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Here's another way to look at swine flu vs covid19.

US had 12k swine flu deaths, world as a whole has between 151k and 575k deaths. So the US has between 2.1% to 7.9% of world deaths. Link to source
    Us has 204k Covid19 deaths, world as a whole has 966k deaths. So the US has around 21% of world's death.

The US has massively under performed in controlling covid19 relatively to h1n1. Swine flu was also first detected in the United States so the Obama administration had to deal with a completely unknown pandemic while the Trump administration had the benefit of seeing the effect of Covid19 in China and Europe for a month before it took hold in the US.

malakas, Reeko, vlaurelio and 4 others like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trump is nothing but a failure as a leader. A sick, twisted one at that.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump and his admin continue to lie to downplay the COVID-19 virus and their utter mishandling of the crisis...

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

From inside the dip$hit's failed response...

A Young Kennedy, in Kushnerland, Turned Whistle-Blower

Months before Bob Woodward’s book “Rage” documented President Trump’s efforts to deceive Americans about the peril posed by Covid-19, Robert F. Kennedy’s twenty-six-year-old grandson tried to blow the whistle on the President’s malfeasance from an improbable perch—inside Trump’s coronavirus task force.

In April, Max Kennedy, Jr., despite having signed a nondisclosure agreement, sent an anonymous complaint to Congress detailing dangerous incompetence in the Administration’s response to the pandemic. On the phone recently from Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, Kennedy explained why he’d alerted Congress. “I just couldn’t sleep,” he said. “I was so distressed and disturbed by what I’d seen.”

How did a Kennedy end up in a sensitive role in the Trump Administration? After graduating from Harvard, in 2016, Kennedy did some time at consulting and investment firms; he planned to take the LSAT in March, but the pandemic cancelled it. At loose ends, he responded to a friend’s suggestion that he join a volunteer task force that Jared Kushner was forming, to get vital personal protective equipment, such as masks, to virus hot spots. Kushner, he was told, was looking for young generalists who could work long hours for no pay. “I was torn, to some extent,” Kennedy, a lifelong Democrat, said. “But it was such an unprecedented time. It didn’t seem political—it seemed larger than the Administration.” And he knew people who’d been sick. So in March he volunteered for the White House Covid-19 Supply-Chain Task Force, and drove to Washington.

On his first day, he showed up at the headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and joined around a dozen other volunteers, all in their twenties, mostly from the finance sector and with no expertise in procurement or medical issues. He was surprised to learn that they weren’t to be auxiliaries supporting the government’s procurement team. “We were the team,” he said. “We were the entire frontline team for the federal government.” The volunteers were tasked with finding desperately needed medical supplies using only their personal laptops and private e-mail accounts.

As the days passed, and the death count climbed, Kennedy was alarmed at the way the President was downplaying the crisis. “I knew from that room that he was saying things that just weren’t true,” he said. Trump told the public that the government was doing all it could, but the P.P.E. emergency was being managed by a handful of amateurs. “It was the number of people who show up to an after-school event, not to run the greatest crisis in a hundred years,” Kennedy said. “It was such a mismatch of personnel. It was one of the largest mobilization problems ever. It was so unbelievably colossal and gargantuan. The fact that they didn’t want to get any more people was so upsetting.”

Kennedy believes that the Administration relied on volunteers in order to sidestep government experts and thereby “control the narrative.” He said that Brad Smith, one of the political appointees who directed the task force, pressured him to create a model fudging the projected number of fatalities; Smith wanted the model to predict a high of a hundred thousand U.S. deaths, claiming that the experts’ models were “too severe.” Kennedy said that he told Smith, “I don’t know the first thing about disease modelling,” and declined the assignment. (A spokesman said that Smith did not recall the conversation.) To date, nearly two hundred thousand Americans have died.

The volunteers were also instructed to prioritize requests from the President’s friends and supporters. According to Kennedy, the group paid special attention to Jeanine Pirro, the Fox News personality. Pirro, Kennedy said, was “particularly aggressive,” and demanded that masks be shipped to a hospital she favored. The volunteers were also told to direct millions of dollars’ worth of supplies to only five preselected distributors. Kennedy was asked to draft a justification for this decision, but refused. “Hundreds of people were sending e-mails every day offering P.P.E.,” he said, but no one in charge responded effectively. “We were super frustrated we couldn’t get the government to do more.”

In the end, the task force failed to procure enough equipment, leaving medical workers, including Kennedy’s cousin, to improvise by wearing garbage bags and makeshift or pre-worn masks. States were left to fend for themselves, bidding against one another for scarce supplies. Kennedy was disgusted to see that the political appointees who supervised him were hailing Trump as “a marketing genius,” because, Kennedy said they’d told him, “he personally came up with the strategy of blaming the states.” The response was in line with what Kennedy calls the White House mantra: that government doesn’t work, and “that the worst thing we could do was step on the toes of the private sector.”

Kushner came by the FEMA office a few times, once to ask the flailing volunteers what three things they most needed, and promising fixes by the end of the day. He had “an air of self-importance,” Kennedy recalled. “But I never saw a single thing that Kushner promised change.” After two or three weeks of growing distress, Kennedy wrote his complaint, addressing it to the House Oversight Committee, hoping that Congress would step in. Meanwhile, the task force stopped meeting in person, because a member tested positive for Covid-19. In April, Kennedy quit, and he has since gone to work on the Democrats’ 2020 election efforts. He decided to defy the N.D.A., which he does not think can legally stifle him from expressing his opinion, and he is featured in a new documentary, “Totally Under Control,” from the director Alex Gibney. Kennedy said, “If you see something that might be illegal, and cause thousands of civilian lives to be lost, a person has to speak out.” The Administration’s coronavirus response, he said, “was like a family office meets organized crime, melded with ‘Lord of the Flies.’ It was a government of chaos.”

TELLING

mikol13, No Worries, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

cult Trumpers will see the word “Democrat” and dismiss everything Kennedy said

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hopefully he's locked up by then.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I don't care if you're independent, conservative or liberal, the fact that anyone supports a criminal like Trump is sick in the head. Your hatred for your political enemies is more important that the safety and wellbeing of our country??

mikol13, NewRoxFan, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the main reason I don't think he will leave the office willingly. For Trump the election might be an existential crisis of staying out of jail.

I also still feel that if Bien wins even if by a large margin he might strike a deal with Trump regarding pardons for a Trump leaving willingly and not causing trouble for the incoming Administration.

RayRay10 and ROXTXIA like this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I sure hope not!! He's gotten away with his crimes far too long already.

Reeko, RayRay10 and ROXTXIA like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wondered about this, too. Create enough of a s***-storm and finally say, "Tell you what; I'll go away if you grant me a blanket pardon, and no wrong-doing admitted on my part" etcetera etcetera.

Maybe I'm just whistling Dixie on this one. It's what Trump has always done: lose in court but set fire to so much that he makes a deal to admit no wrongdoing but to go away (Trump U, not renting to people of color, that b.s. charity, and so on).

Which I wouldn't trust him to do, anyway.

Yeah, this.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This very much in Trump's wheel house. We know Trump has been saying the only way he can lose if it's fixed. I don't see him in early November changing that if the polls now actually are what the election turns out to be. I see him continuing to tell his supporters it is rigged, deploying an army of lawyers to contests in multiple states. I see him even continuing to hold rallies where he keeps on telling his supporter they are stealing the office from him and they need to stand up for him. And since he's still President and Bill Barr will likely know he's going to be in trouble too, using the DOJ such as launching, or threatening to launch, investigations into "voting irregularities".

RayRay10, deb4rockets and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes, I agree!
    Don't people realize that if he and our government supporting him would go to those drastic lengths to keep him in office that a Dictatorship is a real possibility? I mean, if he can get his judges and lawyers and loyalists he puts in the White House to change the laws of justice and order he would certainly find ways to continue his reign another term after that. What will be next? Trump's SS police state like Hitler had? Scary really.

RayRay10 likes this.