1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

200,000 Americans dead, no end in sight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Sep 19, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Now, many experts are making another ominous prediction: A surge in the number of new infections in the fall and winter, combined with growing fatigue over social distancing and other public health measures, could result in more than 415,000 deaths in the U.S. by January, according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, or IHME, at the University of Washington.
    The prediction comes even as doctors are growing more adept at treating patients and clinical trials are finding that treatments like remdesivir and dexamethasone can help. And as the pandemic has spread, it has moved into younger, healthier populations, who are less likely to die from Covid-19.

my God

sometimes I still can’t believe this is real

200k Americans dead since March, and could be 400k by January

this just can’t be real

I have no idea when life will truly return back to normal, and just how many will have died by the time we get to that point...every day I worry about a family member catching this virus

I HATE 2020

deb4rockets, RayRay10, Ziggy and 4 others like this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Results are pretty consistent with Europe. No end in sight? The daily death rates continue to decline. ....and even with the US' VERY flexible counting of what is considered a covid-related death.

ROXRAN likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

One day, it's just going to go away, like nothing.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The daily death rate hasn’t declined. It fell to a low at the start of July and has been higher ever since and we are starting to plateau at between 750-1,000 deaths a day; with the number rising again after holidays.

The latest projections have another 200,000 dead 3.5 months, which is very grim as that would mean the death per day would be over 2,200 a day.

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We should be back to normal by 2022.

RayRay10, IBTL and CometsWin like this.
  7. bigtexxx

Are you incapable of reviewing data? Go to worldometers and look at the trend. It's WAY off the peak. Is it above the trough from July (561/deaths per day)? Yes, but it's clearly heading in the right direction. The 7-day average peaked at around 2,200/day back when the liberal states of NY, NJ and Connecticut couldn't get their act together and Cuomo was sending positive covid people into nursing homes. Now we're around 796/day on the 7-day average.

8. Two Sandwiches

Whatever happened to the dreaded second wave? Did we just handle the first wave so poorly that the two blended together?

9. Nook

Nook Member

There are charts, there are graphs and you can read them. There are currently more people dying from COVID19 than in the period leading into the July 4th holiday.

Thus far over 200,000 Americans have died from COVID19 in 6.5 months and the most trusted estimates are that another 200,000 will die by January.

None of that is a picture of it getting consistently better as you try to paint month after month. I have now lost 4 people to COVID19. I hope you do not lose any colleagues, family or friends to it as it is a nasty virus.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Fauci said we aren’t even out of the first wave yet,

Surfguy, RayRay10, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Hadn't heard, but this is what I was wondering.

I guess the silver lining in that is that maybe we will have a halfway effective vaccine by time the second wave hits. So long as it doesn't melt our nuts and shrink our heads.

Surfguy, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

200,000, most experts believe, is a significant undercount, which is even more depressing. (That statement is only intended for audiences who still believe in education, study, and expertise. Everyone else can ignore it and go back to their favorite youtube sources.)

Our "deaths above average" in the United States for 2020 is about 1,000 per week.
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

A complete catastrophe, and it's one most so-called modern nations were able to avoid.

Jesus H.

#12 B-Bob, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    NewRoxFan, RayRay10, IBTL and 4 others like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It kind of reminds me of having sleep Apnea where you’ll drift off for a minute and then have these violent Jults back to awakeness.

I feel like we will never really get over it but we’ll have these jults where we get sharp reminders from time to time. Even if we do even up falling asleep (bending the curve to a sustainable level) we are still going to wake up feeling groggy as hell. This experience is going to destroy our way of live abc economic privileges for years.

RayRay10, joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  14. SamFisher

Good advice!

- May 2020

RayRay10, TWS1986, malakas and 2 others like this.
  15. bigtexxx

You are missing the basics. 200k people have not died from covid. They’ve died WITH covid. Huge difference. Read the cdc report to begin educating yourself.

ROXRAN likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No, they died from Covid as the final death knell. Medical examiners make an informed decision based in context. They aren't dumb like you or the conspiracy theorist who read little memes about overrepresented COVID deaths.

The CDC report says 6% of deaths are from people with no pre-existing conditions. That doesn't mean the 94% died while merely having COVID rather than it being the reason they died. No, COVID just was the final death knell to their pre-existing condition, hence the cause of death.

17. Two Sandwiches

Most people don't die from cancer, they die WITH cancer, meaning because they have lung cancer, for example, their lungs fill with enough fluid so they can no longer breathe, and then they die.

Or they have esophageal cancer and the cancer finally erodes away a blood vessel in that area and they bleed out.

Are you saying we shouldn't count these statistics?

arkoe, RayRay10, superfob and 11 others like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A total disaster that absolutely could have been handled much better with much less infected, death, a better economy and a brighter future without staggering debt.

The 400k death estimate by Jan 1 (could be as high as 600k) is scary. I don’t think people are buying it - more of I can’t face it and not wanting to deal with that possible reality. I said this because we have been here before - in Feb, in March, in June, ... I get the avoidance. People are worn out, tired. Defeated almost. Unable to deal with it also mean it’s more likely than not to actually happen.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

I think they merged, yeah.

USA vs Australia:

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. SamFisher

You are missing the basics. That guy didn't die when my boat hit him in Lake Conroe - he drowned after I hit him, per the coroner. I might own a lake house there, but I don't own the lake. Huge difference.

@bigtexxx

Surfguy, No Worries, RayRay10 and 9 others like this.