1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wanted D'Antoni back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 18, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because the new guy or new gal could be worse and could not get along with the players.

It's a risk they got to take and will.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

But but but Morey never wanted MDA...that was Les’ pick. Love the spin you all give to always make Morey this heroic figure. Morey never wanted Westbrook, that was Tilman’pick, etc.

macho87 likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you look at what she’s accomplished as a professional basketball player and as an assistant she has just as much experience as any good assistant coach out there. The reason why I would hire her is because she’s from the Popovich coaching tree and most from said tree do pretty wells.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I used to like these types of breakups. Guaranteed late night booty calls if so desired.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Wanting back at this point isn't going to matter, since MDA made that public statement. There's no going back.

MDA was OK to return originally, but a man's got pride too. Everyone has moved on. That should include the fanbase.

Ramo$e and amaru like this.
  6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

There are two versions of what happened. Insiders say D'antoni got a low-ball offer while media claims he didn't receive a formal end of the season call from Fertitta. Really awful that he is gone.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed. It's very concerning that the FO was ok with essentially "running it back". Granted, MDA didn't get the full benefit of picking his staff but it was definitely time for a change. The fact that he was unable to adapt to the trapping of Harden at half court (which was always going to happen) was very disappointing. I don't know MDA personally, and I'm no insider, but I often wonder if he REALLY wants to win a title. I think MDA would take a title if it happened, but to me, he seems to be content with putting out a very competitive regular season team and have decent post season runs. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's truly the case, he isn't the coach for a team with championship aspirations.

Ramo$e and rhee like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@Williamson any word on whether they want Hartenstein back?

Mazulis, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The problem is they have to get in line. The demand is just too overwhelming.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could say that about Lakers but certainly not about Thunder.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't buy that they wanted him back. they lowballed the offer so badly to purposefully make him leave. its in the rockets best interest now to talk him up so he gets hired by the Sixers instead of Lue since tilman can't afford a bidding war.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's mostly PR repair to make themselves look like benign beings.

smoothie, steddinotayto and ROXTXIA like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly.

"Get a story out....we wanted Mike back, but he preempted us with this announcement, blah blah, you know what to say, just don't mention 'Free Hong Kong'!"

"Got it."

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah that's just spin. If the FO wanted him back they'd have signed him last year. If we can see the lack of adjustments then they can see that too.

MDA literally said he wanted to stay right before Game 5 started. And if the Rox really brought him back or worse signed him to a long term deal then I'd have advocated a full on rebuild cuz we ain't winning **** with Dumbtoni as the coach. Dude literally got outcoached and spun around by Vogel after G1 wtf.

16. foggy94

foggy94 Member

If that's true, that's bizzare spin. How is 'yeah we wanted him back, but this 69 year old coach with a couple of years left to get a ring would rather coach in Indiana than stay here with two MVPs' better than 'yeah we love Mike but this is the best for both sides, we're looking ahead and wish him well'

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sounds nice even respectful and all, but they really didn't.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

D-rock likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can see MDA signing to be the Sixers coach, convincing Elton Brand to trade Horford, Josh Richardson, and 2 1sts to get Paul.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

They don't wanna be the one to fire him, simple as that. Look at how Doc Rivers "decided to step down as head coach". It always happens in the corporate world so I guess this is just something similar.

Just look at the facts man MDA said right before Game 7 he can't think of a better situation than Houston Rockets and he wouldn't' wannna be anywhere else. 45 mins later and he changes his mind right before getting off the plane LOL either he is senile or they had a discussion after the game. Just like with Doc Rivers firing this also had the blessing of James Harden, maybe he didn't say to fire MDA but he didn't stop it from happening.