1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RBG has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Btw wealth is not the answer to everything. Just to clear your ignorance and fallacy of thought process. It’s having a strong family , a foundation and making hard work pay off

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why should I even engage with you? If you want to troll make it less obvious or else eventually you'll just be trolling into the ether.

Is a troll still a troll when no one hears their trolling?

Deckard likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

These are nothing more than platitudes. Your rhetoric implies that black people are naturally more prone to worse child rearing rather than massive racial injustices for multiple centuries cresting a massive wealth gap (1000% between the median white household and median black household).

Personal responsibility will be taught to children from parents who were raised in a stable environment. You create the stable environment first.

You seem to be running on emotion here rather than pragmatism. Again, never will you change behavior at a systemic level by these platitudes of "personal responsibility" rhetoric. Yes, teach children about personal responsibility. But any mentally healthy adult is going to teach their child about that.

When it comes to public policy making, there is no avenue that is pragamtic that "teaches personal responsibility". Do you think currently teachers today at school are like "Kids don't try. Just give up because the system is too rough". No, that just doesn't happen.

I keep hearing these empty platatudic rhetoric about teaching "personal responsibility" and I never get a grounded pragmatic nuanced explanation of how to actually implement that.

Culture is nothing more than a group of humans sharing the same socioeconomic and geographic conditions expressing how they interact with those hands delt. You change the conditions first, then the culture changes. This has always been the case. It's never happened the other way around. Culture is a reactionary trait.

#323 fchowd0311, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with both you and Fchowd. The court has in many ways overstepped it's bounds but that is largely due to the Congress dropping the ball on a lot of things that it should've handled and also an Executive branch that is also overstepping it's bounds.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The current ACA case winding its way through the courts is not a 5-4 case. It's 6-3 or 7-2 case. (5-3 or 6-2)

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Yuck........we get a Trump pick in the Supreme Court now for years to come :confused:

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

riots, court packing, the left makes insane threats if they don't get their way

ROXRAN likes this.
  8. SamFisher

Don't worry the 3 picks that will get through in the Ginsberg-Garland Act of 2021 will clown the **** out of Amy Barrett until their 18 year terms expire.

RayRay10 and glynch like this.
  9. SamFisher

To all the "this will energize the Republicans and reset the campaign" takes:

Democratic donors gave more money online in the 9 p.m. hour Friday after Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death was announced — $6.2 million — than in any other single hour since ActBlue, the donation-processing site, was started 16 years ago.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not particularly happy that RBG may be replaced by a Trump nominee .... I don't care for anything outside a 5-4 conservative majority. I think that's the ideal makeup of the court and one that has served us well over the last couple decades.

You have to control the Senate to control this process. President really is inconsequential other than making the nomination and those are particularly limited when the opposition party is in control of the Senate.

If the Dems controlled the Senate at this time , I have NO doubt that they would be doing exactly what the GOP is doing and that the GOP would be crying foul , just like the Dems are now.

These opportunities don't come along often and when they do the side in control of the Senate has to capitalize on that one way or another.

Just one question -

Which side do you think would more drastically change American life if they were in control ? (elaborate).

RayRay10 and ROXRAN like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trump should nominate himself

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We sent more money to both the Biden campaign and the campaign to take the Senate. I'm not real surprised by it. Seeing the sick reactions of a few on the Alt-Right here to her death was just one more reason to open my wallet again.

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Exactly ....

And I DO NOT trust the liberals to protect the constitution , particularly the 2nd amendment. They've all but vowed to rip it to shreds.

They've also begun an attack on the first amendment .... If we don't like what you have to say we'll beat you , slander , fire you or otherwise cancel you.

RayRay10 and ROXRAN like this.
  14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

tL
    They love the mostly peaceful rioters - no police , no guns means at the mercy of the mob - no thanks

Corrosion likes this.
  15. SamFisher

Don't bother donating to Biden. He has more than he can spend. Look at alaska, iowa, Kan, MT sen in terms of making your $$$ go further.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Seeing that Roe v Wade would get overturned if the GOP has a 6-3 advantage I'm going to go with that.

Then there's LGBT+ rights and voting rights, you can kiss those goodbye as well, but I guess you might be thinking of "What might change for me."

RayRay10, No Worries and R0ckets03 like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I’m definitely for not weakening 1a and for additional regulation on 2a (not ripping it apart).

I haven’t heard anyone in power, judges included, from either side having a position of ripping apart 2a or 1a. Regulation for 2a sure, but not ripping it up. I don’t think I even heard of any position on new regulation for 1a.

I take that back, the current POTUS has verbally went after private companies for their “speech” and has issued an EO to suppress the “speech” of online sites and platforms. He has also attacked the free press and banned certain news org from the WH briefing.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The senate is crucial. I think it's there for the taking.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  19. SamFisher

You're still losin susan

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just my opinion .... IF the GOP loses control of the Senate and the POTUS - I think they push thru a nominee ASAP. You can forget about waiting for inauguration day.

As for "we should be working on Covid relief" .... Not sure that flies either when you have Pelosi in the House pissing all over that trying to get an extra trillion bucks for her pet projects & corporate relief while the GOP plans have been more limited to direct to the people. I think she's really screwed up on that ....

They say that now .... and I believe Romney sticks to it cause he hates Trump but those two aren't enough to stop the ball rolling down hill.
    Post election day .... especially if they lose the POTUS and the Senate - they will push a nominee thru. I have Zero doubt about that. In that case they have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If the GOP retains the Senate , that's the only way I think the Dems avoid another Trump nominee. I think in that case they might hold off .... as they still control the process and any potential confirmation and Biden would be stuck nominating someone palatable to them.

Quite possible ....

All this talk of packing the court , I don't care for. We lost so we need to change the rules in our favor. Reminiscent of their pissing and whining over the Electoral College last go round.
    Any court packing by the Dems , would require them holding the House , taking the Senate and the POTUS. Assuming they pull off the trifecta , I feel manipulating the court in this way would be a bad move , simply setting the precedent for the GOP to do the same at their next opportunity. Nothing good is going to come of that.

Leave it as it is.

RayRay10 likes this.