1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know exactly how this will play on the election. I understand many on the Republicans feel this strengthens their position but this also will energize those on the Left a lot. For senators like Gardner, Collins and McSally in states that very well could go for Biden it might not help them if they join with McConnell and push for a rapid replacement. Those three already look like they are done. Even if the conservatives in their states get more energized there might not be enough of them to counter liberals getting activate. ON the other side this might be the nail in the coffin for Doug Jones.

For Senators like Thills, Graham and Ernst in states that are very close where Trump has a very good shot of winning an energized conservative base might push them over the top. This might also push Danes over Bullock in MT.

It's possible that this election is already polarized enough that there will be little change from it but Ginsburg death and how the Senate proceeds will definitely raise the temperature in an already heated race..

Nook, raining threes and RayRay10 like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No doubt he sniffs Adderall out of the crack of his naked daughter's ass, has zero command of how government works, has complete disregard for laws, and has multiple textbook psychological disorders. Completely unfit to be POTUS.

Rashmon, RayRay10, ROXTXIA and 2 others like this.
  4. No Worries

If you only count the people who did not lose their jobs, Trump is the best POTUS ever.

Much like, if you do not count the dead people, Trump has the best CV-19 response of all of the world leaders.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And, as long as he can avoid being forced to take psychological tests from unbiased psychiatrists he won't be officially labeled as an extremely dangerous sociopath/psychopath.

We know he ticks all the boxes in that test given to dangerous criminals. He is unfit for duty, and honestly dangerous if not locked away in either a mental hospital or prison.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  6. No Worries

Republican turnout is likely not an issue in the 2020 elections.

Trump nominating a bat sh*t crazy judge will increase the Democrat turnout, which is always in question. See Florida.

A strong turnout of women and Trump loses in a wipeout.

A strong turnout of voters in their 20s and 30s and Trump loses in a wipeout.

The problem is that these are not reliable voters.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I really feel like the administration forcing through a nomination and vote will backfire horribly on the gop. They have to know this. It will energize the left beyond belief and could cause the right to get blown out in November and the 2022 midterms. A fully Democratic White House and Congress will make sure the right pays for the damage it's caused over the last couple of decades.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

also these liberal mayors like deblasio in nyc and cooper in Nashville that has made it so hard for businesses that several are permanently closed now (which cooper is facing a class action lawsuit btw for circumventing COVID data to benefit his closure orders,...more to come)
    and o yea Trump gets the blame for that job loss? It’s crap

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is one reason why I think McConnell will wait until after the election and confirm during the lame duck period

To add I think Trump will want to push for a confirmation as fast as possible to campaign on it.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. No Worries

Trump is taking credit for the "greatest rebound in the history of economics". Now, that is a mountain of crap.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  11. No Worries

After the election, Moscow Mitch likely loses McSally and will need one more vote (which may or may not be an issue).

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You had me at "Adderall" and "naked daughter's ass".

You complete me.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A loss of one vote drops in the lame duck period drops Republicans to a 52-47 majority and with no filibuster doesn't make a difference. Anyway AZ Gov. Doug Ducey is a Republican so he could still appoint another Republican, even McSally to fill the lame duck period until Mark Kelly is sworn in.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Assuming an appointment is made (and I expect there to be one), I'm starting to believe the following happens:

1. Filibuster is removed asap
    2. DC Statehood (and DC's existing electoral votes become allocated by popular vote)
    3. I thought Dems wouldn't try to push for Puerto Rico statehood but now I think it'll happen (provided enough people vote for statehood in the referendum this year)
    4. Lower court packing (including contracting some courts and redrawing circuit court boundaries).
    5. Once the Supreme Court does something hyper controversial, Congress at the very least adds two new Supreme Court vacancies.

I think Republicans are underestimating how reactionary Democrats will be to this. The conventional wisdom is that Republicans are more activated by Supreme Court nominees but this is the exact scenario that Democrats have been fearing for 20 years. Democrats are so invested emotionally in RBG that even institutionalists (like Biden and Schumer) will get behind some previously unthinkable changes. Schumer has already said that all bets are off if McConnell goes through with this and there are zero red state Democratic Senators up in 2022 (well in theory Kelly maybe up for re-election but Arizona may be in the blue column by then).

leroy and RayRay10 like this.
  15. No Worries

Mark Kelly is sworn in November 30 if he wins, IIRC. which leaves most of November open for Moscow Mitch's Mischief.

I think that this is due to McSally being an appointment.

The Doug Jones race is different since Jones won an election to fill a 2 year Senate term, which goes until the next Congress is sworn in.

RayRay10 and Kim like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

100%. And it's only because Democracy cannot stand with the groundwork that the Republicans have laid out for minority rule ala South Africa style.

If the Democrats take back the Senate they have no choice but to expand the courts to dampen the partisanship, and give representation to those who need it. Taxation without Representation is undemocratic.

Also Puerto Rico becoming a state is not a state that would be solidly blue by any stretch if the Republicans ran a party that stood for anything but white racial grievance. If Puerto Rico became a state, and the Republicans had any credibility, it would absolutely become an important state to campaign in for both parties. The attention that Puerto Rico would get then would lead to infrastructure investment, and major boom to tourism with improved conditions. It is foolish that the united states has yet to make PR a state. It must be done if they the Democrats win the Senate.

Also having the Senate dampens down the partisanship of the courts because of the ability for the Democrats to impeach and REMOVE judges at that point.

RayRay10 and peleincubus like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting I thought that the new senator doesn’t come in until January. Anyway that still doesn’t still Give Democrats the majority.

Nook, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

New Congress gets seated in January, but I think it's different in Arizona this time because of the special appointment.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Ironic that some in here have said Trump pushing a nominee forward would cause a civil war but the above the conservatives will just swallow without a violent reaction.....

jcf and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He spent a pre-covid 1 TRILLION dollars for what again?

His buddies pool parties must've been EPIC.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.