1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RBG has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 18, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm going to say again no one should be surprised that McConnell et al are now saying that they want to fill this seat before the election. I knew pretty much any rhetoric during Merrick Garland that the people should decide based on the election was worth a bucket of spit.

I will say again I was already predicting that the next few months are going to be rough. This will make things rougher.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not the opposite.

If DEM has majority control of the Senate, it would be the opposite. They don't have the power to deny proceeding and a vote on the Senate.

Beside that, from private partners, to within team, to within company, to within a nation, groups can fight feverishly over something and once it’s done, they have an established path forward. You move on and know what is the de-facto behavior and unwritten rules, or written rules if any. It doesn't make you a hypocrite to follow the de-facto behaviors and unwritten rules afterward. It is expected that you do that.

In team USA, the two sides disagree but action established a new path forward. It’s been done. With that action, breaking it down, reversing course is absolutely against integrity, honor, precedent. Personally, hypocrisy alone isn’t enough to describe the behaviors.

If we are to expect the Dem to always allow proceeding and a vote (again, possible only with majority control), after a new path has been established (Congress shall not allow the POTUS nominee to have a hearing and vote, but wait for the people to chose the next president to nominate the next judge to the SC) to not do that, they would forever be at a disadvantage. That is quite a partisan position, with different standard applied, which I often see generally happening with justification to equalize both are bad behaviors.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There’s a reason people think a lot of trumpeteers are insane psychopaths. You’re not even demonstrating a basic level of humanity, shame on you—but some people aren’t raised with any values I guess

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The reason why this is in so important to get this done as soon as possible is because they want to challenge the election in case of some mail fraud issues and it’s very clear this is the reality so when I said so sad that Ruth died it’s sad she’s a woman America great accomplishment but at the same time she is very much against my values and I want someone who’s not going to be an activist for the liberal left and someone who’s not going to Make the election mail fraud friendly so while I’m very sad she died I’m completely over it at the same time in terms of this as an opportunity to get who we need is a supreme court justice to prevent the liberal agenda

B@ffled and generalthade_03 like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No you said you hoped it. You’re not getting a rise, you’re devaluing yourself. It’s not a controversial opinion etc. The cult mentality you guys have is extremely unhealthy. I actually feel sorry for you brother

DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  6. ROXRAN

Absolutely wrong-So from the beginning I said so sad about Ruth and that’s true it’s it’s a sad situation however I also said I hope she realizes before she passes that the realization that Trump will pick her replacement because that’s reality

It’s not mean-spirited it’s not wishing her anything as far as pain it’s not Wishon her to go to hell- It’s not hoping her family suffers it’s simply hoping Reality sets in about what will happen next it’s a simple as that and I stand by that statement

7. ROXRAN

I feel sorry that you’re absolutely wrong I stand by what I said check my post above on my explanation there was no ill intention there’s no happiness that she died but there is happiness in that there is opportunity now and yes I want her to have the awareness of reality and I’m hoping that she can be at peace with that

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

That may be a fair point but you’re backpedaling hardcore. You said the complete opposite in your first two posts. Usually someone’s first couple of responses in the face of something like tragedy is how they actually feel. The responses after being called out by everyone is saving face.

DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Only gullible and low informed voters would actually believe the Republicans on the Garland issue. Ideally I would like to see both sides come to a compromise, but both parties would have done the exact actions in both of these scenarios.

Either people need to accept they are highly gullible or stop complaining about the attempt at the appointment. As other pointed out, if RBG was truly concerned about her seat, she should have retired years ago. This goes for all of these old and obsolete politicians and judges.

arkoe, ROXRAN and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

A amazing women a true leader. R.I.P

RayRay10, B@ffled, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

An American patriot Supreme Court nominee disagrees with you and will gladly accept the nomination with great honor to serve this country for everyone.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Just stop. No one believes you. You, just like Trump, are so dishonest.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about this. "Both sides do it" rhetoric usually has an air of truth to it for run of the mill politics, but what Mitch McConnell did in 2016 was truly unprecedented. I don't know that Harry Reid, had the shoe been on the other foot, would've gone to such lengths to deny a nominee of President Romney even a committee hearing. Senate tradition, in particular, is just that: longstanding tradition that is not codified, but respected. That worked for hundreds of years. But craven, power-driven senators have shown us how, without codification, our institutional norms can be abused and crumble if there is no formal mechanism for restraint other than the voters.

Ideally, many of them (especially people like McConnell who nominally represents Kentucky, but clearly favors national power) would've gotten the boot long ago. But, decades of deliberate erosion of public faith in government - which the "ho hum, both sides are the same, so what does it matter" rhetoric enables - allows these people to hang on term after term and rarely face consequences for their legislative misbehavior.

RayRay10, glynch and joshuaao like this.
  14. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

It will be a memorable Thanksgiving and Christmas at the generalthade’s household if we have a new conservative Supreme Court judge to go with Mr Trump’s re-election.

I will raise a cup for all the liberal’s tears out there.

B@ffled and ROXRAN like this.
  15. goophers

goophers Member

I hope that cup has some strong stuff in it - we’ll need it when the Dems take control of all branches, pack the court, and tax everyone to death because the Republicans lost their moral compass. I look forward to the day when they pull their heads out of their butts and I can vote for them again, but at this rate it’ll be a long time.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/americ...s-pay-a-lower-tax-rate-than-the-middle-class/

Btw this trend that eventually led to the current predicament of the 400 wealthiest families having a lower effective tax rate than the bottom 50% of Americans has also been perpetuated by Democrat adminstrations also as you can examine in the trend line in the graph from the article linked.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because a smiley face always says that you're sad.

You're so incredibly full of s***, it's actually funny. No one believes you are feeling anything but joy at her death and the incredible damage it will do to the Supreme Court for decades to come.

With any luck, there will not be a vote until after the election, when trumpybear will truly be a lame duck, and no Senator worth even the slightest bit could vote to confirm a justice before Jan 20.

RayRay10, joshuaao and DVauthrin like this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, I didn't see the posts you were responding to lately. It must have been one of the psycho cult guys I put on ignore. Take it from me, it is better not to even see their toxic trash posts.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Lindsey Graham just all but officially reversed course on Twitter, and endorsed this absurd “Garland was different” argument McConnell and the GOP pulled out of their asses.

RayRay10, FranchiseBlade and joshuaao like this.
  20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Like Obama did to push through Garland oh wait..

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.