1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RBG has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 18, 2020.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Of course, but Moscow Mitch and Donald Trump are despicable human beings that care about more about remaining in power than acting fairly. Trump is on record saying he’s unsure if he will accept losing the election, and Republicans would never win another election if they don’t suppress votes.

Hell, look at the posts from those that still support Trump in this thread. All they care about is owning the Liberals, and they have a party over country mindset. It’s absolutely disgusting.

All that can be done is to vote Trump’s lying, racist, and narcissistic ass out of office in November.

Andre0087, Nook, glynch and 4 others like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Hers was the last half breath before the **** is obliterated by the fan. Put your seats and tray tables in the upright position and assume the brace position because it’s about to go down.

I have never been as scared about America’s future as I am at this moment because her death is the worst possible scenario. At some point in the future we may look back at it in a similar way to the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

don grahamleone and RayRay10 like this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

More than your stupid argument about hypocrisy is that Republicans are daring Democrats to be the same ruthless assholes with no regard for what’s best for the country. They are fast tracking the demise of our country as we know it.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure you realize that every bit of progress made in this country for the last 70 years has been made with a conservative leaning court ? Much of that fought against by the Dems during the civil rights era ? ....

Some of you going off the deep end while Roberts , Kavanaugh and Gorsuch have sided with the liberal appointee's on multiple occasions.

I really didn't care to have Trump replace RBG as I prefer a 5-4 court over one 6-3 or more in favor of either party but acting as if the world is going to explode is just plain disingenuous.

For the most part , the high court gets things right - even if it takes time.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So if all Dems, the 2 independents, vote no vote...

Only 4 republicans need to be flipped? Romney, Murkowski, Grassley, Collins?

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My guess is they'll want the vote after the election, it may delay things.

If the GOP loses the Senate and Presidency will they still have the balls to replace her as lameducks?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have no doubt that they would do it.

I have no doubt that the Dems would do the exact same thing if they were in that position.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, the issue with this argument is that the majority are liberal judges with one conservative judge flipping.

Obergefell v. Hodges for instance was Kennedy flipping. A majority conservative court it would be harder for these things to be passed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Master Baiter

There hasn’t been hardly enough progress you tone deaf idiot. That’s why movements like BLM, LGBTQ+, etc exists and it’s not because of progressives.

Lar and RayRay10 like this.
  10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey, as a lawyer I find you misguided. It is sort of like being overly impressed by Hitler's oratorical skills. I am sure that some of the Nazi judges wrote very well, too.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Piss off.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don’t really care tbh. You’ve proven that you’re extremist liberal multiple times. Every case in law isn’t an analysis on Roe v Wade. Scalia could have an opinion on the takings clause or commerce that is completely non-partisan and gets right to the point.

you’ve even said on this thread that RBG isn’t “liberal” enough for you. For one thing, good. Political leanings shouldn’t bleed through a judge’s work. 2) it’s insane to claim that she hasn’t championed progressive milestones not only in her personal life, but through landmark decisions as well. Good day, sir.

Space Ghost and RayRay10 like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey, as not a lawyer, I find myself to honored to be in the presence of two lawyers.

Get in here @Nook , let's make it a party! So many lawyers, I'd swear I was in hell! ;)

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another, "they are all alike" post from you and as absurd as the rest of them. You just don't get it, do you. The two political parties are hardly, "the same," with a wider gulf between the two today than there has been since WWII. At least you aren't making sick jokes about the death of Justice Ginsburg, like @ROXRAN is doing in his current state of dementia.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed. Trump and his close circle as well as crooked Dems must be put in jail before things get better. Obama and Holder just letting the Wall Street crooks off folr the sake of peace did not work.
    In the case of Trump nutjobs like Roxran might very well take it to the streets with their @nd Amendment remedies, like their fellow nutjob the 17 yr old kid in Kenosha, but it is something we will just have to deal with sooner or later.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. Master Baiter

Nope, it’s time for people like you to get a reality check. You clamor for making America great again yet all that you ushered in is it’s destruction. You make me sick and I abhor your simple minded, racist, sexist, homophobic rhetoric that is meant to rewrite history where conservatives move progress forward. It’s fictional and you’re deluded.

Disgusting. All of you.

DVauthrin, peleincubus, Lar and 4 others like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Welcome to ignore ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Master Baiter

Ignoring reality, it’s what you people are best at.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You hit on the nail. If their re-election odds were close, Collins and Gardner may decide against the confirmation. As it is, both are trailing by 10 or so points, so they really have nothing to gain by withholding their confirmation vote.

dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  20. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Tagging @jiggyfly since he also asked.

- The first tool to use is quorum law. The judiciary committee requires one minority party Senator to conduct business and two minority party Senators to transact any business. Dems could basically not show up for committee meetings and force McConnell to get the Sgt of Arms to come bring them in. It’s a little difficult since they are in session, but Oct 12 is the date to watch since that’s when the Senate was to adjourn to head home and campaign before elections. If the Dems can create enough havoc to reach that date, will Mitch, who may need to campaign himself, be willing to force confirmation before the election?

- So how can Dems continue to skirt a quorum...push hard in the press that they should be working on COVID legislation instead of confirming a new Supreme Court justice. Dems on the judiciary Committee have to stay strong and not budge on this...the idea is to prolong it until at least after the election when they likely gain at least one seat (Arizona - McSally was a state appointee and Kelly would immediately replace her once results are certified there). Would mean they only need 3 other Republican holdouts to stop confirmation prior to the inauguration.

- Romney and Murkowski have already stated they won’t vote prior to the inauguration so the Dems would need two Republicans to hold out prior to the election and likely one afterwards. Basically, they have to go full bore at others that are struggling (McSally, Collins, Tillis, Gardner, Ernst). Again, play up the fact that they are concerned about this instead of helping people with COVID relief...play up that this isn’t normal so close to an election...push advertising hard in those states along the same lines. Hell, push it hard in Kentucky to possibly make Mitch scared (doubt it will work, but it may delay it enough). Again, with Murkowski and Romney already holding out, you just need 2 prior to the election and 1 after if things in Arizona hold.

- If Dems can stop quorums in the Judiciary committee, and Mitch has to force them to show up...Dems can try to force cloture...it gives them around 5 days to force discussion since they don’t have the filibuster anymore. Problem is, that’s basically the last step they have as a vote would be scheduled right after and there wouldn’t be much the Dems could do unless some Republicans refuse to vote for the candidate. The big thing here is to delay it enough in committee to force Mitch to make a choice of keeping Senators in DC instead of going home to campaign.

- Other than that, Dems could try to make a deal with legislation. Basically tell Mitch they’ll fast track a nomination before the election if Mitch and the Republicans agree to pass legislation. Maybe the Heroes Act, maybe the Voting Rights Act, maybe both. They’ve done this enough with other judiciary confirmations over the past three years and Dems may see this as more important than blocking a judge. They could spin it as they care more about the people than holding up a judge right before the election...would play well with moderates and those not as in-tune on a daily basis with politics...could be enough to push Biden over the top and/or solidify a Dem Senate. Mitch may consider it...he loves his justices and he would probably clinch his own election this year with a stimulus package and a Supreme Court confirmation. Will the rest of the Republicans go for it though? Will Trump? Would be an interesting tactic on the part of Dems...the extreme left would kill them over it, but you could win them back afterwards.

- The big no-no for Dems is to threaten to pack the court before the election. Here’s the thing....you don’t need to threaten it right now. No need to rock the boat with that type of talk before the election as I doubt it would be popular and could push things the other direction. If you can draw this out until after the election, and you’ve won both the Senate and Presidency along with the House, then you use that threat to scare the Republicans. Would they be willing to push through a nomination if it meant Dems would just give themselves a majority anyway? Or would they just be happy with their current 5-4 edge and hope to get back the Senate in 2 years? My guess is you could convince at least one more Republican Senator after the Election to keep the status quo.

So, there are ways, but, again, Dems have to take stands and play hardball. Will all of them be willing to do so? Looking at you, Doug Jones?

Corrosion, AleksandarN, arkoe and 7 others like this.