1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

She seems like the type that won't stop working until she loses the ability to. Just from watching her, you can tell she's got that old old old school work ethic. She's in her 80's and still working her butt off.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Snows is still about the best I've ever had. Sooooo good. I haven't watched the show yet but I know it's going to make me want to go back out there and get some more world class BBQ.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Not usually a fan of bumperstickers, but much respect to the guy I saw a few minutes ago with "Smoke Meat Not Meth" on his pickup.

VooDooPope and jiggyfly like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was me.

Sorry for giving you the finger.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My wanderings took me back to CloudCroft NM to Mad Jack's BBQ.

Breaking from my tradition of just the meats, today I opted for a BBQ sandwich which was loaded with hand chopped beef on a toasted sweet bread roll. Excellent sandwich. Grade: A

The surprise of the day was a brisket green chili stew. Man was it good. I was tempted to go back and get more but I'm already back at camp with a full belly and don't feel like moving. Grade A+

Deckard and Blatz like this.
  6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

"brisket green chili stew" sounds so good

Deckard likes this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

it was fantastic!

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When the green chile stew at Rudy's came out, I loved it. But the last couple of times I tried it, it seems the meat gets in the way. It's like chunks of brisket (or at least I think it's brisket -- could be roadkill) that chew like leather sometimes. Maybe I just didn't get the meat the first time or they're screwing it up somehow nowadays, but chewing that stuff is a chore. But otherwise, the flavor is pretty good, though.

*EDIT* : BTW, in the video below, he gives a nod to Lockhart and Aaron Franklin for giving him BBQ advice. He's from the Central Texas area. Nice.

Deckard, TWS1986 and VooDooPope like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not really Texas BBQ, but ... I saw this series by a NASA engineer/whole hog pitmaster named Howard Conyers:
    Also, here's an Atlas Obscura article on Dr. Conyers : https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/whole-hog-barbecue

Here he is talking about his BBQ :

In this episode he shows us a Cochon de Lait Festival where they have Cajun whole hog. If you're going to cross Cajun with pig, you've got my attention, and I was drooling :

Whole hog? Nah man... let's do whole cow :

Some say Rodney Scott's is the best bbq in the U.S. I still am pissed I haven't gotten to go there this year :

Deckard, Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to mention that I’ve been to Pinkerton’s twice in the past month, and it’s the closest a Houston place has come to Franklin’s incredible brisket (which I had back in 2016). Plus their ribs are equally incredible.

Hoping that my wife and I can hit up Snow’s once Covid dies down.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

corkscrew is good and my go to is truth

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This is the one thing I miss about not living in Texas anymore the amazing bar b que at so many differing places! ..let’s see best we have is maybe Jim and nicks bbq...for the longest the norm with bbq sandwiches is putting cole slaw marinated with vinegar inside with the bbq sandwich ....I recall being at a Titans game ( watching the Texans of course ) and ordering a sandwich thinking it would be just meat and sauce...nope , waste of $15

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Where are you? I just remember you being a squirrel terrorist. At least I think that was you. LOL.

15. ROXRAN

I live near Nashville now

tinman likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I love that area. It's on my list of places to move to. They have pretty good fried chicken/Nashville hot chicken around there, but I haven't found great bbq yet, but I've only tried it in Memphis. A lot of the places I tried seemed overrated, but I'll probably try them again. The only thing I usually eat when I go to Nashville is the hot chicken. That stuff is like crack to me. I've never had bbq in Nashville - only in Memphis.

Have you ever tried Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint? It's on my list of places to try there. It's a chain, so that kind of worries me, but... eh. It's all about the pig out there, so I don't even know if they'll have any good brisket.

Dallas and Houston had very few upper-tier bbq joints until maybe a decade ago or even less. It's the reason I drove to Lockhart and Lexington to try Central Texas BBQ for the first time years ago. There're good places popping up everywhere now that people have figured out how good BBQ can taste and started sharing their techniques. The Lockhart places used to be legendary, but nowadays most probably couldn't hold a candle to some of the best places. The Austin and surrounding area is probably still the mecca of bbq. Get your own grill and do it yourself, if push comes to shove.

ROXRAN likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

just remember not to go to East Nashville , it’s the boring area , (there is no North Nashville) even tho it’s closer to the stadium, West Nashville is where all the trendy And younger folks live ...near Vanderbilt, the zoo, close to downtown, modern housing, etc

I miss Houston And still will always have a connection but I really developed my business here and watched my kids grow up , good words about simply doing the grill thing :) I went to Memphis a few years ago for bbq but it’s been awhile

18. Buck Turgidson

Neither did Austin. Frankly, Austin didn't have **** for restaurants back then.

Things have certainly changed.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's true. lol.

Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah Houston has come a long way from having to eat at Goode Company or Luling City.

I’m a big fan of:
    Roegels
    Truth
    Pinkertons
    The Pit Room

Blood Bro’s is on my list to try.
    Agree on Franklin’s. It shockingly is worth the hype and is the best brisket I have ever had.

STR8Thugg likes this.