1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RBG has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 18, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So you are admitting that McConnell was wrong to not allow a SCOTUS to be nominated with more than a year left in Obama's final year then?

You can't have it both ways.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The side with the most guns ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Best post in the entire thread.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Garland was nominated. He wasn't voted on. Can't stop s president from nominating.

I have no problem with McConnell not voting on obamas nomination.

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

How concerned is Collins? I really want to know

#225 AleksandarN, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    RayRay10, B-Bob and dobro1229 like this.
  6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Why

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. dobro1229

Worst attempt at trying to not admit you are a massive hypocrite. I’d have more respect for you if you would just be honest about it.

8. HTM

HTM Member

I see much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the left about Republican hypocrisy regarding the potential nomination of a new Supreme Court Justice but I fail to see how the Democrats who said Merrick Garland should have gotten a vote won’t be just as hypocritical if they deny Trumps nominee. Both positions are just now exactly the opposite.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not really. Very different amounts of time.

And temporality matters. One side went all in on this notion of not filling vacancies within X time of an election.
    Now, with much less time than X... that same "team" wants to ignore their own precedent.

So, not equivalent. The chronology matters, I'm afraid.

If they'd given Garland a hearing, as they absolutely should have done, by all precedent, then nobody would be reasonably complaining about rushing to fill RBG's spot. This should be pretty obvious unless you're trolling.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Can you flush this out more for me?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm sorry but I really think you're trolling.

McConnell said X months was too close to an election. Would not give Garland even a hearing. We ALL saw this. This record is clear and recorded.

Now, same situation: deceased SCOTUS member. Time to election is <<< X. Only consistent position for McConnell would be to not have a hearing for a replacement. However -- oh, shock of the century -- turtle is definitely going to have a hearing all up in here. What do you know? It's almost as if there is no fundamental principle guiding him, but simply team over country, power over principle. Yes, that fits ALL the data. It is an empirical fact of this **** stain's career.

If you don't see the hypocrisy, I'm sorry, but you're not giving it an honest view. If Garland was too close to an election, then this new situations is WAY too close to an election.

This is all academic and useless drivel on a BBS: McConnell has already established himself as a hypocrite and a servant of his party over country. This is empirical and in no way a political statement. Data don't lie. He doesn't care about America or democracy, until those can subordinate to to his team, the Trump GOP.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

cool so we got 3 days for trump to get it in by monday?

in an election year?
    during a lame duck?

isnt the correct thing to do to push this to january?

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. dobro1229

I’m sorry but was Obama on record multiple times talking about how he was going to contest the election if Hillary didn’t win?? Putting the sanctity of the high court in the cross hairs of our democracy.

If you can’t see the difference I don’t know what to tell you. Also a full year before the election vs when an election is already started is a completely different scenario. Virginia already started voting today.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

right its known etiquette to not do in election year. so really shouldnt even be a discussion

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I thought the same thing. May she rest in peace, and may her family get through this time knowing she is in a better place, and no longer suffering. God bless.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  16. astros123

astros123 Member

Can you imagine for a second that Trump's nominee goes through and the election gets contested and his nominee is the deciding vote on the supreme court?

What happens next? Seriously? We have to ask ourselves this very real question. I have never feared more for our future then I do in this moment. May God be with us (whoever your god is).

17. HTM

HTM Member

I do not miss the GOP hypocrisy. You’re missing my point. I’m talking about Democrats. Did Democrats not say when Scalia died that Obamas appointee should be given a hearing/vote? If so, would they not be hypocrites now for saying Trumps should not? The position of both parties is exactly reversed.

RayRay10 and Corrosion like this.
  18. dobro1229

.... but let’s talk about the Democrats is the age old tactic to avoid ever giving an ounce of responsibility for the destruction of our country to the Republican Party.

No... let’s talk about the Republican Party for once. This situation has nothing to do with the Democratic Party. It’s 100% about what the Republicans and Trump will do of try to do to grab power. There is literally zero power that the Democrats have so trying this tactic just lacks seriousness.

the11mingdynasty and RayRay10 like this.
  19. HTM

HTM Member

You can do whatever you want friend. Turn on CNN you’ll see constant whining and gnashing of teeth over Republican hypocrisy. I haven’t heard anything regarding Democrats hypocrisy.

RayRay10 and Corrosion like this.
  20. astros123

astros123 Member

Even if the Republicans lose both the Senate and White house and the Dems win both houses the Supreme court will be rigged to the Republicans favor. They have federal judges stacked across the country and they will eventually get the case to the Supreme court where Trump will have it stacked with 3 young Conservatives. The Republicans will wait out the next few terms if need be as they have the supreme court rigged.

What a sad sad time in American Politics...the downfall of the empire will be self-induced...Everyone asks how the dollar will collapse and people think its the Yen or some other currency that wins out but that's all wrong. We will be in our own downfall as a nation.