1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNBC] Tilman: Morey is safe, Morey will pick the next head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I believe it was on the Duncan and Hollinger podcast where they said they believe Morey would immediately become the top free agent GM if he were to get fired.

Even talked about the China situation and said highly doubtful that would scare away any owners.

2. Dreamshake_34

Dreamshake_34 Member

It’s going to be John Lucas to appease Tilman’s wallet.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I disagree. This has Harden's fingerprints all over it. CP3 wanted to make changes in their offense - changes that required more ball movement and less reliance on Harden's ISO ball. And just like that CP3 was gone - traded to OKC for Harden's "good buddy" Westbrick. If there's a mess to clean it's Morey's mess which he's been in the process of making long before Tillman showed up. He's been here for 13 years now with very little to show in terms of putting together a team that can succeed in the playoffs. And yet you're placing your hopes for the future on this guy who's going to double down again and again and again on his philosophy of basketball no matter what the results. You can blame Tillman all you want but all that does is miss the real problem and that is the so-called "Smartest Guy In The Room".

Like yourself, I go way back to the beginning (1972) as a Rockets fan and like yourself I have definitely seen it all - the good as well as the bad. It's no surprise to me that the Rockets once again find themselves at (yet) another crossroads because “Those who forget their history are condemned to repeat it.” This is an organization that time and time again has chosen to ignore it's mistakes while expecting the next outcome to be different and if Morey is going to be the one who hires the next coach then nothing will change.

tycoonchip likes this.
  4. SemisolidSnake

Morey is so smart and capable of finagling things that I obviously don't want someone of his caliber to leave.

However, does that mean that we're open to some fundamental changes in how the team plays? It's always been Morey's system in the background. It got us close many times, but never over the hump. And over the hump is the only place where you get rings. I'm not one that believes that we were a Chris Paul hammy away from a championship, although I do think were probably some very biased officiating away from a Finals appearance. I've seen the Rockets' three-dominant approach fail so many times in the clutch, though. I hope Morey picks an experienced coach with the intent to bring depth to the Rockets' playstyle is also ready to back up said coach with the players said coach needs rather than taking the lead based on his own vision.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman also doesn't know what is needed to own /build a championship team.

6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

FAT MOREY WINNING AT LIFE.

Exiled likes this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Will be Van Gumby

8. TimDuncanDonaut

1. Chicago Bulls - lottery team
    2. Oklahoma Thunder - uncertain, players may get traded for rebuild
    3. Indiana Pacers - lower tier playoff team
    4. New Orleans Pelicans - young promising team, not playoff yet.
    5. Philadelphia 76ers - under achieving, two stars, tough to make it work.
    6. Rockets - Harden and Russ; playoffs contention.
    Of the opening head coaching positions, Rockets is the most attractive for a championship run.

Hottest girl that just went single. Suitors should be lining out the door.

[​IMG]

#88 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    fckbandwagons, s3ts and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Exiled

Exiled Member

McHale Part II

10. Asian Sensation

This is the same guy that went after Westbrick.

11. riko

riko Member

We need someone like JVG who will pay attention to details and get these guys ready and have the gameplan executed with minimal error . Gets them to play with discipline. At this point you either want to have some pretty looking game offense and still get knocked out every year in the second round or you want a team that is disciplined and plays on both ends regularly and has a chance to win it all.

Give Jeff a offensive assistant coach who can help him to transition to today’s offense like Finch or Gentry and we have a seriously good coaching staff

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best teams do not have vacancies at the GM position..... mediocre teams will be after him.