1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Let's wait til it's released and legit reviews are in, throwing out the "goty" prematurely has led to quite a few disappointments in gaming history. :p

Blatz and tinman like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

AXG and RC Cola like this.
  3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

That is really big. Maybe they can provide enough funding to help Bethesda dump their TES engine. :p

Between the launch of the Xbox One and the XSX/XSS, Microsoft has done some serious work in building up their 1st party studios.

Invisible Fan, Blatz and Yung-T like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I hate this, and it has happened both ways.

I don't mind when console exclusivity is from a game or studio they developed, but when their big advantage is merely taking it away from the other console it brings nothing to the table. If this results in a good new Bethedsa franchise for them then great, but if it results in Elder Scrolls and Fallout being X-Box exclusive that is not a win for gamers in general.

Blatz likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It seems they'll still self-publish their games and release on multiple platforms:
    https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/09/21/bethesda-softworks-games-self-publish/

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

tinman likes this.
  7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I assume some of the current projects might remain multi-platform (or potentially even exclusive to non-Xbox platforms if that's how they were designed), but beyond a few of those (and ESO), I'd assume all future Bethesda output will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. If Microsoft really wants to push Game Pass by putting it on other consoles, then I guess they could use this as a way doing it. That would be the only way I see these games ending up on other platforms.

I'm somewhat mixed on these types of acquisitions. On one hand, I like Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios WAY more than Bethesda/ZeniMax as a publisher. These developers will be able to take more risks and build better games without having to worry as much about the usual publisher nonsense. This is the company that just delayed Halo Infinite so close to launch because it just need a lot more time. I don't know if these studios would have received the same support prior to this move with the original folks in charge. I read something about how John Carmack might be interesting in joining back up with iD for some future work. He had some issues with ZeniMax I believe (or maybe it was more the other way around), but he seems more positive about working with them with Microsoft in charge.

On the other hand, this furthers the consolidation of the games industry, which IMO isn't a great thing. It will also lead to some Sony and Nintendo consoles not receiving updates to some popular franchises on their systems. Exclusives don't really bother me that much (I guess I'm just used to them?), but this does suck. I'd expect this to continue in the future. Recently Sony even openly said they were looking at acquisitions, though I'd expect something more like Bluepoint Studios than something like Take Two, Square-Enix, Konami, etc.

At least with this deal, it is still likely you can play these games on PC. I'd like to get a XSX shortly after launch sometime, but I'll probably play most/all of these games on PC anyway. With xCloud or even something like Geforce Now, you can probably play these games without investing in a super pricey PC. So there's that at least. Try getting Sony or Nintendo to allow for something similar (well...maybe Sony will let you play it 5-8 years later at 720p on PSNow).

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah gaming is not cheap if you tend to buy games at launch.
    if you are a cheapo gamer like me you wait a few months when the newest version of call of duty comes out and you can buy the previous version for dirt cheap.

but if game pass has new titles at launch and it's $15 a month, then that's a good value

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Figured you'd still be playing NBA Live 95 on your Sega Genesis.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's the one with horry on the cover?

CCity Zero and Ottomaton like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

12. Beezy

Beezy Member

That's a big get for Microsoft. I'll be buying a Series X in the future, so maybe something coming out of the acquisition will be ready by then.

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I agree but I’ll probably end up having both systems anyway. I went with ps5 this time around because I sold my x1 and ps4 when I upgraded to one x. I’m planning on keeping the one x for a while because I’m payed up on game pass for another year and a half then upgrading to series x when a deal comes along.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I got a bunch of unused XBL gold passes. I think there's a deal to upgrade for a dollar a month.

The cloud feature sounds nice, but I don't plan to own any of the new consoles soon. Would still rather get a ps5.

15. Beezy

Beezy Member

The $1 deal (I guess it's still going, not sure) converts your remaining months of Xbox Live to Game Pass Ultimate. I bought cheap XBL codes to get close to the 36 month limit and then did the $1 deal to get it all converted to GPU.

Invisible Fan and tmoney1101 like this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How many months, interested in selling?

17. tmoney1101

Cdkeys is your friend.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did a quick search on slickdeals and got a pretty good deal for 3 years. MS wont let me load the 3rd year though- its saying that Im over the limit with only 2. I thought 3 years was the max.

19. tmoney1101

36 months total so if you have existing credit maybe that's why?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why would Microsoft do that though?
    They acquired Zenimax for over 7bil and need to make revenue, why not release games on huge other platforms and make a ton of money?

Phil Spencer also consistently argues that console exclusives are heavily anti-consumer and that they don't want to go down that path, MS representatives mention similar thoughts in this last statement again.

Yea, MS wants to push game pass, but no way they cripple their own earning opportunities by releasing on less platforms, especially for huge franchises like Fallout and Elder Scrolls.
    Exclusives will only be on a game by game basis, according to statements from yesterday.

RC Cola likes this.