1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Table Read

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not sure how many of you are fans of this movie but it's always been one of my favorites from way back when. I'm sure a lot of you love it, also. Anyway, many stars participated in a table read of parts of this film script with Morgan Freeman providing the narration and other big name stars reading for main characters. The most noticeable actor-part pairing was Shia Labeouf as Jeff Spicoli. He was Zoom-ing his feed from his garage in his truck and was smoking a joint seemingly high off his ass. He wasn't even participating in discussion other than reading the Spicoli part and no other stars participating in the Zoom session even attempted to speak to him outside of the reading. Aside from being a stoned participant in the table read, I thought he pretty much butchered the part and I was not impressed. He did not nail any of the memorable lines and seemed to go off script at times. It was funny watching him smoke out at first but he pretty much screwed the pooch imo. I would have rather had Penn reading his iconic part again but all Penn did was play the pizza delivery guy delivering the pizza to Jeff in class. All the class room scenes with Mr. Hand and Spicoli came off as lame imo due primarily to Shia.

The whole table read was semi-amusing as I tried to envision the movie scenes in my mind as they read through some of the memorable scenes. In the end, it came across as flat imo. Morgan Freeman pretty much saved the day with his iconic voice and narration throughout. I really wanted it to be way funnier than it turned out, though. I guess I was expecting them to be more like the characters but I found it difficult to recognize these iconic characters in their reading. There is no way the actual table read for the film was that bad or the film would have been canceled right then and there.

But, Shia man. That dude is whack. His reading didn't cut it and it should have "made" the reading. If that is what stoned Shia gives you, then it's a hard pass from me. He seemed to be changing memorable lines while trying to be "in the moment". It wasn't funny.

Article on table read:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shia-labeouf-fast-times-reading-high_n_5f64dcd8c5b6de79b674319e

Actual table read:

https://www.livexlive.com/video/9109cba4-5dcc-4548-9fff-4e913d2e0258

Enjoy...or not.

Deckard, FrontRunner and whiskeyred like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I heard about it and got excited to hear the Penn would be involved. But then decided not to watch when I found out he wouldn't be voicing Spicoli. I mean, what's the point of even having him involved if he's not reprising his iconic role? That would be like a Star Wars table read with James Earl Jones reading for one of the jawas.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Apparently Shia crushed it as Spicoli. Is there a way to watch the replay?

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did my second link in my post above not work for you? Those saying Shia crushed it...yea...I don’t get it. I think they were just amused he was smoking pot and trying to be in the role. The line delivery is where he blew it imo. People are too easily pleased I guess.

BigM and FrontRunner like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I gott check out Shia, he's been absolutely killing it acting wise recently, as bizarre as he is

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I didn't watch the entire thing, but did watch a lot of it. Too right about Morgan Freeman. I was shocked at how he looked at first, but he killed it with his narration setting up the scenes. Looking at Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston made me jealous of their genes. Both looked terrific despite Brad being 56 and Jen an unbelievable 51. No way is that chick 51! I think both did a deal with the Devil and I don't believe in the Devil. The whole thing made me want to see "Fast Times" again for probably the 8th time.

FrontRunner and TWS1986 like this.
  7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Thanks for sharing it. I watched as much as I could bear while reading the actual script.

IMO, the introductions were fun, Dane Cook was good as The Rat (but much too likable), Morgan Freeman killed it reading the screen directions, and Ray Liotta was fun to watch as Mr. Hand, but Shia's antics ruined it for me. Sure, he looked the part, but did he have to re-write his lines? I was ready to forgive him for his past behavior and watch Honey Boy, but it's going to be a while now.

8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

As someone that's been more than a little horrified as of late staring at the aging stranger in the mirror, I couldn't help notice how Brad Pitt and Matthew McConahey (sp?) have aged. They're wrinkling and their hair is turning grey, but they're both so comfortable in their own skin.

I have to work on that. :oops:

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

For some reason I couldn’t load it previously but it’s working now. Haven’t watched it yet though.

10. Buck Turgidson

Not reading so much, because I can't, but:

Who played Mike Damone?

Charles Jefferson?

Mr. Vargas?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

McConaghy was Damone. John Legend played both Jeffersons. Henry Golding was Vargas.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Well yeah, of course, who else?