1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden opposed to JVG being the new HC of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have played extremely hard before, they have made sacrifices as well. A number of the guys on the roster could start for other teams and win titles.... I don't think it is that. I think it is a matter of detail and leadership. While some of that falls on the players, a lot of it falls on the front office and the coaching staff. Until you actually win, you don't know what it is like to do it. I agree with you, most likely this group doesn't win a title together, but they are still capable of it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. And Riley is a huge proponent to play the style that fits your players the best.

JVG's Rockets, with Yao, were never going to be an up/down free-styling team. That being said, Yao surrounded by Barry/Wesley/Sura/T-mac actually put up some solid offensive consistency that just didn't have enough fire-power or durability to hang with an elite Dallas team.

JVG's Knicks without Ewing, and with Sprewell, were actually much more of a helter-skelter up/down team.

One slight is that JVG chose to try and grind it out with Francis/Mobley.... but again, likely more due to accommodating Yao vs. feeling that it suit the others the best.

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I dunno... the way I look at things is do any of these players truly get dejected/frustrated/angry when they lose? Over the last 3 years maybe Paul and Ariza had that sort of tenacious ability to hate losses that much. Harden obviously works tirelessly at his game. He's a tremendous innovator. He often is unfairly criticized that he isn't giving his all out there.

But at the end of the day, I also think what makes him so good (impervious to outside criticism, able to handle adversity) also allows him to rationalize losses and not necessarily kick into that extra gear of a killer instinct.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Great post @Ziggy!

After reading everyone’s comments, I’m obviously in the minority of members who would like to see JVG get another shot at coaching the Rockets.

I think this time around (if he’s hired) he would obviously try to implement an offense that would be cohesive with Harden’s strengths while holding him and everyone else on the team accountable when they veer off course from from playing championship caliber basketball on BOTH sides of court! I think it’s highly unlikely that he would try to bring back the same style of offense that he had the last time he was here. That style of play was agonizing to watch especially compared to today’s fast paced high powered offensive schemes!

I would also like to give Calvin a shot! Yes, you read it right, Calvin Murphy! AND it’s not because of the color of his skin AS IF THAT said should be a prerequisite to being the next head coach, I actually like to hear his opinion at halftime and after the game. He is usually spot on when he Is breaking down the needs to succeed during the game. If Larry Dierker got a shot why not Calvin Murphy! ...:cool:

Go Rockets!!!

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

You can be a no nonsense coach, but it better be genuine and you better win.

Jim Boylen was a fraud. He picked up this persona along the way and it wasn't real.... plus he couldn't really coach well.

There are a few guys out there that come across as frauds to me, guys that say a whole lot of nothing...... another one to me is Adrian Griffin.... he cannot even get his personal life in order yet goes on about what a great role model and teacher he is..... go see your damn kids if you are such a great person.

The Rockets need a tactician that also has the ability to lead people.... it isn't an easy duo to find, because coaches like that are in the Hall of Fame.

Dacamel and Deuce like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

*Looks at Rockets current roster
    *Looks at Rockets upcoming draft rights

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SamFisher likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

JVG never got to the 2nd round as Rockets coach. The game has passed him by. It is a different NBA. Hell No to JVG.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You'd rather have Mark Jackson?

Not saying they need to have JVG as I don't' think any coach short of Poppovich is going to inspire all of these players towards a killer instinct... but its also pretty short-sighted to say the "game has passed him by" when he's still the pre-eminent analyst amongst all the TV networks, and has watched more basketball in-person the last 10 years than any BBS poster here.

He's completely aware of what today's game entails... or else he wouldn't be fit to commentate.

Fiah, Dacamel and coachbadlee like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The thread title may be misleading, but James Harden is still hardheaded.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's hard to tell bc he plays a curmudgeon type character as a color man. Might just be an act and he's totally fine with accepting 4/12 from 3 and 9 rebounds as a great PF stat line.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Exactly. Bad thread title.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's wild. The Rockets would be down 20 going into the half and Murph would come out of the locker room pissed, and START the 3rd in UNIFORM, bro. He'd probably get 20 shots up too.

BamBam likes this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

That means we absolutely need to hire him. GM Harden is terrible.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nope! He’d come out in his custom suit!!
    Rockets Red of course!! ;)

napalm06 and Ziggy like this.
  16. s3ts

s3ts Member

He lost to some great coaches too, though. I don't think JVG is just an OK coach, even in the playoffs, there's just been some better coaches that were better.

I liked Rick Adelman a lot too.

This is a bad look for Harden if he's avoiding JVG because he doesn't want to put in the work. It's freaking professional basketball.

17. dmoneybangbang

Someone else said it.... but Harden is going to win on his terms. After 8 seasons of Harden, I agree with that sentiment.

I think we need a tactician coach. I think JVG is smart enough, but I don't know about the culture aspect. The bottomline is Harden inevitably determines culture.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strangely enough Yao was a run and pass type of guy before JVG
    Rudy had Yao at the high post. . . . YAO WAS LIKE JOKIC 1.0
    He was a dynamic passer and ridiculous shooter
    JVG converted him into Patrick Ewing 2.0 and Yao was not built for that
    and it grinded him down to the nub
    Playing year round did not help

Rocket River

napalm06 likes this.
  19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Fair...but I think that is actually the plan. Stay there for spacing around the 3 pt line. Worked with Westbrook or someone there to drive. Not so much when no did.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member