1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wanted D'Antoni back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 18, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...t-expectations-for-Rockets-means-15578326.php

Bo6, D-rock, No Worries and 10 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a free agent, if they have a change of heart, all they have to do is open the Iron bank.

3. justtxyank

It appears that D'Antoni simply won't work for Tilman.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

The issue has always been if tilman wanted mda back. The answer is no.

Morey and co of course wanted mda here. Hes made that clear on several occasions.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It said in the previous article but just for the argument's sake, if Tilman outbids Indiana with a hefty sum, who knows.....

One of the reasons was he wasn't paying up.

The most important thing is going away from spamming the game with 3s and playing 6'5 Centers.

Ramo$e, WestendMassive and Dacamel like this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

It was time to move on IMO

7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

MDA might have saved the Rockets at the end because no way this team was gonna win a title with him as HC

banzai, IvanLCPM, arabrocket and 14 others like this.
  8. justtxyank

Yes he did (Tilman)

He was prepared to re-sign him. He just treated him poorly (as he is known to do) and Mike is sensitive to that.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

While I appreciate the article and I appreciate the spin control by the Rockets.......... and I also do not doubt that Morey wanted him back, I do not believe for one minute that Tilman really wanted him back. He had all of last year to get something done. He screwed up this last off season and had a chance to fix it and didn't....... realistically he could have even fixed it before the playoffs........ he didn't, Tilman offered a one year deal for 5 million dollars with only half guaranteed.

Tilman is a businessman. He knows money speaks, had he wanted MDA back, he would have paid him and he didn't...... also on a side note, the concern about MDA's age was absurd, he has showed zero signs of slowing down.

Now Tilman gets to spend money on another coach to take over, and give an even longer contract.

dreamshakin, jjc1, Deuce and 22 others like this.
  10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Morey wanted him here because he runs stupid Morey ball to a ****ing T. I’m glad he is gone. I’m so tired of watching this team do the same old shot without making any type of adjustment. Not a single adjustment was made in either playoff series this year. Pathetic

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don’t believe that at all. There’s been pretty much 0 signs pointing towards tilman supporting mda beyond this year

roslolian likes this.
  12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It is worrying that the FO wanted him back. They couldn’t see the issues?

Deuce, Lawlruschang, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  13. justtxyank

Tilman flew to his home to negotiate and thought he had a deal.

I don't think this is positive spin for the Rockets. You think it makes them look better to say "We wanted him back but he wouldn't play for the owner bc the owner is an *******?"

D-rock, Dacamel, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fuggin cheapskate couldn't spare some ass. coaches for a 2 billion dollar franchise with an MVP at their primes.

Oh well, MDA's offenses looked brilliant in the regular season, but all that dynamism just vanishes in the post season when one cog in the machine vanishes/breaks down and cascades into other cogs becoming 0/## scrubs at the three point line. I've given up trying to figure out why his rotation "gasses out" :rolleyes: or "gives up and stops playing hard" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It doesn't take a genius to see this happening season after season.

Rodman23 and Ramo$e like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

They flew to his home and offered him essentially the same deal as before...... they offered a one year deal.

They will frame the situation as being "we wanted him back, we would pay him, he chose to leave".

People are entitled to their opinion (and I respect your opinion more than most) but I know for a fact that Tilman was telling people that he wasn't sure he wanted MDA back.... he freely discussed it.

D-rock, Deuce, amaru and 7 others like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's the best free agent coach on the market to be honest. Everyone else is more of a risk. We need to take a risk.

It would be hysterical if he re-signed out of the blue.

D-rock, Lawlruschang, saleem and 5 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I am glad someone else picked up on this....... I am not on the floor day after day with the team, and neither are you, but it was clear as day that there were real problems. The Rockets seldom adjusted, they lacked preparation on some fairly simple things...... other than House there was very little development. The Head Coach had to depend on assistants that he didn't even want to hire necessarily.

I am concerned about a disconnect between what happens in the offices in the Toyota Center and what is happening on the sidelines and court.....

The Rockets lacked any real toughness, they whined too much and I saw very little common goal focusing..... I saw a head coach that had given a little too much leeway to his players after four years.

IvanLCPM, DreamShook, Deuce and 14 others like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He can turn a 35 win team into a 55 win team quicker than just about anyone in the league........ he is that good.

Is he going to get you to a Game 7 win in the Finals quicker than someone else? I don't know, and I say that as someone that thinks that MDA is deserving of being honored by the Rockets.

D-rock, amaru, Lawlruschang and 9 others like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

20. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Do not want. We went from McHale's "iso for James" offense to MDA's "iso for James, but also no mid-range", yet MDA is the offensive genius?

Also, I still don't understand why McLemore didn't get all of River's minutes against LA. It hurt our 3pt shooting, which is supposedly our trademark, in favor of River's "defense" which did nothing at all to slow down LA. Vogel made adjustments, MDA didn't.

amaru, Rodman23, bmelo and 3 others like this.