1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden opposed to JVG being the new HC of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 17, 2020.

1. hakeemthagreat

Probably untrue. But if the Rockets are even seriously considering JVG in 2020 then we officially have no direction as a franchise

gogispade likes this.
  2. riko

riko Member

That was 20-9 not 29-9. Typo

3. riko

riko Member

It was a typo I meant 20-9

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First off, thank you bleacher report for very 2000 era bleacher report style reporting of random innuendo passed off as news. Makes me reminisce about the world not being as terrible as it is now!

Second, I was a huge fan of JVG and Les seemingly shiny objects obsession with pace and space that led to his no return, but it's clear Leslie and Dantony were on the right side of the argument and the game has swung away from the grit & grind approach and the Rockets as a franchise committed themselves to leading this transformation for the past decade - meanwhile JVG spends his time on the sidelines doing comedy bits with Mike Breen by going oscar the grouch whenever there's a blocking foul for the past decade +. I honestly don't see why JVG would return anyway, hes got a good low stress high paying gig as he approaches his Golden years. If he wants to coach again, why not do it at Rice or Princeton or whatever so that he can do it his way on his terms?

Finally if this is 'moreys hire" I don't know that it's a fit for reasons stated, but more importantly it's Tillmans hire despite what he'll say. Asking him to shell out money like JVG would command doesn't compute with a distressed hospitality empire and his infamous corner cutting.

34to11 and HP3 like this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I've never heard anyone say Harden wasn't a hard worker or didn't want to practice usually people are saying the opposite.

This sounds like random speculation

34to11 likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

time to trade beard and turtle and frittata's first born to dallas for luka.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

SamFisher likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

On surface the 'excerpt' is an anti Harden piece. If the random western conference exec is not on the Rockets or has a relationship with Harden, how does that person really know how James feel.

On level 2, if posted here on CF, it's has a subtle anti JVG effect. Any new head coach considered, we'd want the coach to fit with star player.

I think it is neither, Harden is coachable and JVG knows it's a player's league. So if he (or any coach really), it's a balance between relationship to the players and accountability.

---
    Regarding practice. If you don't practice at something, then you won't become great or continue to be good at something. This is with any profession.

Conditioning and load management is an emphasis with every NBA team. Every head coach balances practice with real games. We've seen the Rockets do this with Russ, player's health is paramount.
    1. Practice doesn't necessarily mean tiring. Head coaches can focus on something efficiently.
    2. Harden has a reputation of being a gym rat. If the coach helps spread that culture to other players on the team, it's a good thing.
    3. Rocket is a veteran team. These older players should have good habits by now. You don't stay in the league long by slacking and staying stale. Lot of money on the line, and the younger guys are hungry for that roster spot.
    4. Real hoopers likes to ball. They relish the chance to hoop. Some may not like drills, but lot of them enjoy practice games. For the bench guys it's also a chance to show they deserve time.

#68 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's like the "we need a coach who makes adjustments" talk. when people say "hold the players accountable", they're never quite sure what it means, what they want accomplished or even if accountability wasn't being served up already, they just know whatever they don't like about the team must be due to a lack of accountability. like clockwork, about every 4 years clutchfans gets a hankerin' for holding the players accountable.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am opposed to Jeff Van Gundy. Even if win a game by double digits he is morose miserable as he contemplates we missed a shot, misses a defensive rotation or something. It is a pain to watch him.

Jeff seems like he is much more relaxed as a commentator.

34to11 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Unnamed * former * exec

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was fed up with James last season, his WB push has screwed our organization. He gets what he wants, makes all the decisions. If you get paid a supermax do your ****ing job and let the GMs do theirs.

he can leave for picks if he’s not on board

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

For the most part, Harden has been hands off. However, Harden is your superstar, he is your franchise, so there is a certain level of decisions that need to be made with his involvement. I get that you have a front office for all those decisions, but ultimately your star player needs to make it work. It doesn't mean you do what your star player wants all the time, but if he doesn't want to play for a certain coach (not saying this BS quote from OP is true), are you as an FO going to be stupid enough to hire that coach? It's probably not wise. Harden has let Morey be Morey this whole time. He's worked with whatever talent he's had, he's cooperated with whatever superstars dreamed of having here, etc etc. Harden is owed the respect of this franchise to be included in major roster or coaching decisions. I get your stance and how you feel about James Harden, so no need to repeat yourself, but this is a player's league and I think some consideration would be given if Harden doesn't want X coach.

When Lebron had his issues with Spoelstra, Riley at the time had already chosen Spoelstra prior to Lebron coming to the organization as the coach that would lead the Heat. Riley listened to Lebron's concerns, however, ultimately Riley believed in Spoelstra and it had just been a few games in of the trio to react to Lebron's feelings. I am sure if that Heat would of failed miserably that first season, Spoelstra would of been canned.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Harden is a gym rat then he really needs to look at his diet. Because gym rats usually have lower bf%.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You are trying to talk sense to one of the biggest Harden-hater Rockets "fans" on the board, so good luck with that.

And the other hater.........

Harden has to take a lot of punishment, dude is strong, so if he chows down a bit, so what, he ain't that doughy.

Reeko likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's simple-minded to think Jeff Van Gundy plans to do things now, the same way he did them over a decade ago.

He's not dumb. He's stated he would need to change his approach in several areas. It's clear for example, from what he's said over the years, that his offense would look nothing like it used to. Yet.... people assume it will.

He has also acknowledged a growing trend where teams like the Rockets use analytics to help prevent injury.

Nobody knows what JVG's plan is until he interviews. But anyone with a brain can assume he wont be trying to do the same things he did in the early 2000s.

Who taught JVG to coach? Oh yeah, Pat Riley. Are Riley's teams still competitive? Do they attract players? Sure looks like it to me.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

For NBA guys; by gym rat i'm referring more to basketball gyms. Reps on your shots,..etc

For regular Joes; gym rat is weight room / cardio. NBA guys does conditioning too, that's secondary.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's secondary to Harden. It isn't to guys like LeBron, Jordan, Curry etc. Those guys believe everytime they step on the court they can beat you through sheer cardio conditioning. They knew they could out sprint and outrun their opponents when they are tied in the 4th and have the competitive advantage.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Not saying conditioning isn't important, but's it's not the only thing. There's lot of NBA players that have abs who are also scrubs.