1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNBC] Tilman: Morey is safe, Morey will pick the next head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I keep coming around to Stephen Silas he ran Dallas offense and they had the most efficient offense in history or something like that.

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey is the GM who thinks coaching is not important. He selects the next head coach is just a joke.

This organization sucks.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hate to say it---definitely not an anti-Jesus thing---but if someone states he is a "Christian businessman", I'm out. I'd be like, "Ah, because Jesus would WANT you to charge me this much, praise the Lord?"

treyk3 likes this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Thank God! He’s smart enough to leave it alone.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Yes, he will pick a coach and you’ll kiss his arse as usual, then when the coach flops you will blame Tilman and say that Morey really didn’t pick the coach. Wash rinse repeat.

Rudyc281 and PeterKingX like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

With all due respect, no a GM doesn’t resign because the team owner makes a trade the GM doesn’t like.

There is a lot going into it for Morey as well, he had lived in Houston for a long time and his group of friends are largely located in Houston.

AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Welp. Looks like more of the same. Incoming Morey puppet. At least we can hope Westbrook knows his role now vs most teams to attack and post like he started back in January and now he just needs to work on his shooting(3s/fts) and handles for the rest of the off season. He's got to be able to turn into at least a decent corner 3. Even the most awful big men turned into decent 3pt shooters over the past decade.

I believe in the past as the man of his team, he didn't really have much incentive to change his game, but i do believe he has incredible respect for Harden and will do what's necessary for the first time in his career.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m honestly shocked he gets to stay.

Just simply off the China thing, and the fact that he could have used our second round failure as an excuse to let him go rather than making it about politics.

I mean business wise I can’t imagine it being better to keep him. I’m happy he’s staying, but still shocked.

Jayzers_100 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I don’t buy that Morey wasn’t in on the Westbrook trade. He’s not this godly GM that many make him out to be.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I doubt he thought Westbrook would be a better fit than CP. We’ll never really know but I believe he would have rather kept Paul and the picks. But I also believe he would prioritize keeping Harden happy over the better basketball fit because he’s smart enough to know you’ve got to keep the franchise player happy. So either way he was definitely in on the trade.

HP3 likes this.
  12. hooroo

hooroo Member

India has become the new China for a few years now. Companies are pulling out of China because of rising costs to manufacture there and even more so now with the increased aggression from its government this year.

Jontro and Nook like this.
  13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

LOL. Mauri is safe regardless. He will GM elsewhere.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If I were Morey I'd have been looking forward to that call .... You are fired!

Thank you very much!

Goes to a franchise who's owner isn't a cheap ass .... Turn's some washed up star's corpse into the next superstar , again and is a perennial contender.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All the morey bashers are going to really have the last laugh when he leaves and is snatched up by the Warriors or Boston and starts building a superteam again.

Meanwhile we'll probably have a young up & comer who knows how to do a culture change and pays for his own Wi-Fi coupled with an old "basketball" saw like Scott Layden while the vulture capitalists circle in wide, looping arcs.

HP3 and Ziggy like this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The guy who has defined his legacy by being all about 3s and cutting out the midrange.

I'm almost positive wasn't on board bringing in statistically one of the worst 3 point shooters in history and someone who has a huge chunk of their offense be the midrange.... whilst also sucking at that shot too.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

haha we were working on this contract and i asked the guy point blank how did I know he wouldnt fuc*k me over.

he said he was 'god fearing' and his faith and all that.
    of course that was my cue to not go with him

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

it will be curious since I trust morey and dont trust fernie boy.

if its a brad stevens type folks will be mad.
    another subset will want or be mad with lue.

is there a rush? doesnt seem like there needs to be and that plays into it.....if hasty or a quick john lucas would feel haphazard. exhaustive then announce john lucas before preseason would feel less haphaxard..so not now...presumably AFTER the search and the revelation he is the guy.

if we are instituting a black guy only rule my power rankings looks like this
    1) doc rivers
    2) lucas
    3) kelvin sampson
    4) lue
    5) cassell
    6) gentry
    7) the field

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Maybe the pandemic will field some of the best desperate for a job?

PS: T. Fertitta "I barely know how to own an NBA team.". Any pros out there willing to do a spreadsheet on how Fertitta can afford owning the Rockets while his Landry's Group isn't doing so well. I want a break down and explanation. TY

#79 Sanctity, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Why should he start now? After he's had 13 years to learn on the job.