1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Regarding pre-orders, I think most people that want one should be able to get one. If not at launch, shortly after. It is kinda fun to secure one via these limited amounts at various retailers, but yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you miss out on some of these pre-orders. If I'm wrong, blame Microsoft or Sony. :p

FWIW, Microsoft plans to have a much more organized effort when it comes to pre-orders thankfully:

Anyway, back to the games, I like this video about the DMC5 special edition:

They show off ray tracing and talk about the modes they'll support on next-gen (presumably PS5 and XSX). There's a bit of a pattern going on now where games will support multiple resolutions, framerates, and effects. In this case, there is 4K/30fps with ray tracing (i.e., the "prettiest"), 1080p/60 fps with ray tracing (balanced), or 1080p/120 fps without ray tracing. Maybe they could do 4K/60fps without ray tracing? Kinda curious that they had to drop all the way down to 1080p though. That's what makes me curious about XSS and how it will handle things like this.

Um random opinions about the PS5 showcase:
    * I'm fairly positive on FF16, though I admit that I'd like something more strategic (I'm tiring of action RPGs). It does seem like an interesting setting and change of pace from the usual FF feel though. The guy behind FF14 2.0 is behind this project I believe, and while I never really played FF14, I feel like he and his team should do a good job based on their previous output.
    * Miles Morales looks pretty good. Never played Spider-man PS4, so it will all be pretty new to me.
    * Demon's Souls looks great (and I think it was 60 FPS?).
    * I really like PS+ Collection, but Sony should really be more aggressive with this IMO. Maybe not as aggressive as Microsoft, but I think a lot of people will prefer the Game Pass model moving forward.
    * Kinda skeptical that Ragnarok makes 2021, especially since they didn't show anything, but who knows. IIRC the GoW director (Cory Barlog) is having some tough times (his dad has COVID and isn't doing well I think), so maybe they just didn't get to scrap anything together to show because of that.
    * Interesting that Sony kinda backtracked and decided to bring some of their games to PS4. Curious how they'll run, but I guess it does make sense to continue support.
    * No Bugsnax :(

Yung-T and tmoney1101 like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

With Cyberpunk saying that if you buy the prev gen version, consumers will be able to get the next gen version at no cost- Do you guys know if its going to be a full next gen edition or is gonna be a scaled up version of the prev gen?

3. RC Cola

IIRC, it will be adding ray tracing and other things. You can probably use that DMC5 video as maybe a preview of what to expect with a typical next-gen upgrade.

That won't show up until 2021 though. It's my understanding they're only releasing PS4/XB1 versions this year, and the next-gen ones won't be available until next year. But if you get the current-gen ones, you'll just get the upgrade for free whenever that is released. If you don't buy it this year, I guess you can just buy the next-gen version whenever that's released.

You can play the current-gen versions on the new systems. It just won't be a huge upgrade. Maybe better framerates and whatnot, but nothing crazy IMO.

donkeypunch likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It doesn’t matter what happens previous generations. Sony will outsell MS and around the world. However, in the US, MS can win. Also, MS doesn’t care about consoles sold, it is about services to them. Unlike Sony, the Xbox is still is a lucrative “hobby”. PC platform is more important and thats why it gets all the games Xbox has. MS could do Xbox exclusives, but they have the bigger picture in mind. Windows, Office365, Windows Server, Azure services are the money makers for them. Getting People on Game Pass is MS’s goal for the Xbox. Another service with continuous revenue stream. So the $25/$35 option is genius. Once the console is paid off, people will continue to pay a discounted game pass.

Sony MUST have PS5 success to keep the company in the black, MS does not.

The point is Microsoft strategy with the Series S to hit the magic $299 price point ( That price has historically been the sweet spot for Console mega-success) will allow them sell alot of game pass, as well as consoles.

5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Can someone explain to me how drastic the differences will be with the new HDMI 2.1 input as opposed to the older HDMI?. I understand that both consoIes will support 2.0. I just bought a newer OLED tv a year or so ago but it doesnt support HDMI 2.1.

I read that all these initial releases on new gen wont even be able to offer full 120 fps yet. Will games on the new gen still look ok without HDMI 2.1?

#405 Clutch City1993, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant believe I didn't get a pre-order. I signed up with Sony. I didn't even hear about this pre-order in time. I have a job and a life. How would one even hear about something like this in time? I'm not glued to Reddit. WTF? Lulz.

Job numbers are bad, people are sick, race wars in the streets, but I cant even preorder a $500 video game system that's not even out yet? Sigh.

7. RC Cola

I'm not an expert on this, but I think it is something like this:

1.x = can only do 4k 30 FPS
    2.0 = can do 4K 60 FPS
    2.1 = can do 4K 120 FPS

I might have the wrong, but it is something like that. It gets more complicated if you want to know how different resolutions and framerates work (I think 1080p 120 FPS would only be possible on 2.0+?).

I guess this mostly matters if you care about 120 FPS, though if you're fine with 60 FPS, then it might not matter than much (unless you want 4K 60 FPS and your TV is only 1.x).

The initial releases probably will have some 120 FPS support, though not likely at 4K (probably 1080p/1440p 120 FPS). I think even 4K 60 FPS will be difficult for many games (especially on PS5). Over time, I'm thinking the 120 FPS support will probably drop, and devs might target 1080p/1440p generally (though I guess they'll upscale to 4K, which effectively makes it 4K).

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video This might help (there's another table with HDR video below)

#407 RC Cola, Sep 17, 2020
    Clutch City1993 likes this.
  8. runamok

runamok Member

Damn, I don't know why, but compared to everything shown- Demon's Souls stood out- actually like felt Next Gen. Is it biased due to familiarity? Is the art style or game play altered too much that it may sway away die hard fans? What do you guys think?

#408 runamok, Sep 17, 2020
    RC Cola likes this.
  9. RC Cola

It definitely stood out. A lot of games are kinda hard to appreciate via the stream since it is limited to 1080p (30 FPS I think), but this one stood out even despite those limitations. And of course, it looked better outside of the stream (surprisingly at a solid 60 FPS it seems).

I'd like to see much more about the game, but it probably is the most exciting next-gen game for me. And honestly, I was one of the people that wasn't that interested in a Demon's Souls remake. I didn't think it would look so much better to be honest.

The devs (Bluepoint Games) have a solid reputation, but this might catapult them upwards quite a bit. They seem content doing remakes vs doing their own game, but whatever they do in the future, they seem to have quite a bit of technical and artistic talent.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes this is the gist of it, plus I think 2.1 supports VRR Up to 120hz at 4k, while 2.0 only supports 4k/60hz VRR (but also 1440p/120hz).

So hdmi 2.1 is most likely completely irrelevant for next gen.

Clutch City1993 and RC Cola like this.
  11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

this is the game that set off the dark souls games right? they rebuilt it from the ground up. i'm not surprised it looks so good. i'm not a DS fan though, i'm not looking to get my ass kicked constantly...break a 60 dollar controller throwing it across the room lol

i'm not sure if theres a launch title i wanna pick up tbh, i need to play the ps4 spiderman before i grab mile morales so i'll prob wait until thats on sale.

12. RC Cola

Yes, Demon's Souls is the first "Souls" game. While they did rebuild it (that's what Bluepoint does best), I don't think we expected it to be one of the best-looking next-gen games. That's a bit surprising IMO. The demo might have been showing off the new "Easy" mode, so maybe you could give it a shot. :p

FYI, maybe you already own Spiderman for PS4, but Sony is releasing a remastered version for PS5 that is bundled with Miles Morales in an "Ultimate" edition. Glad they did that as I think it pushes me to giving it a shot sooner rather than later.

Another PS5 Showcase point: Jim Ryan (current head of PlayStation) seems horrible at PR. I suppose you could blame it on COVID and whatnot, but I feel like PlayStation screwed up a lot of simple things that ended up pissing people off. I think most of these things won't really matter much (e.g., Miles Morales on PS4), but it does seem like Sony did a poor job with some of their messaging and communication. And it isn't like it should have been that difficult either. Why did we need to learn from Geoff Keighley that certain games would be launch titles? I think they're doing OK on the important things (great games, decent pricing, good specs, etc.), but yeah they took a hit in this department relative to the PS4 launch. The people running the show then were *much* better at this than the current folks. Rant over. :)

tmoney1101 and Yung-T like this.
  13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah i have PS4 spider man already...i actually haven't even opened it up...idk if target would give me a refund or not, if so i could grab that bundled version

i mean idk if destruction all stars intrigues me enough to buy for 60, didn't play the sackboy games in the past...

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s 40+ Gig per second speed
    Better audio and video
    Allows for 4K 120hz

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's the game of the year, by a mile
    @RC Cola , also noticed the official PC specs are high

#415 tinman, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. RC Cola

Actually those specs aren't really that crazy. Probably not too surprising since they need to make the game look good on the base model PS4 and XB1.

If you want to fully max the game (4K 60FPS with RT), you'll need much better hardware. But with that, maybe you can get "ultra" settings (minus RT) at 1080p 30 FPS (or maybe 60 FPS). Or something like that. *shrug*

Yung-T likes this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Anyone have any experience hooking up their AirPods to a PlayStation? I splurged on some pros last night thinking I’d be able to use them with the ps5 but it looks like it might be more trouble than it’s worth. I ordered the 3D headphones too after reading how well their supposed to work with ps5’s new tempest tech in the new console.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I ordered for XB1X. This was listed as 'Xbox X Enhanced' so I hope it runs well.
    All the other games run great on it.
    I'm guessing HDR with no ray tracing enabled at 4k 30.

19. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

got this e-mail from amazon...seems it may have been sent to everyone according to reddit:

Hello,

We're contacting you about your order of PlayStation 5 Console (B08FC5L3RG) to let you know in advance that you may not receive this item on the day it is released due to high demand. We’ll make every effort to get the item to you as soon as possible once released.

You can track the latest shipment status of your order under Your Orders on Amazon.com. Once there, you can make changes to unshipped orders, cancel unshipped items, track shipped packages, and much more.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
    Amazon.com

thinking it was prob sent to everyone just to cover their asses, that and to maybe help stop the flood of customer complaints when people aren't getting their systems day 1

tinman likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Expected much higher requirements, seems to be a mix of good optimization and the "recommended" being far from highest settings and resolution.

Would be weird if this game could run extremely well on less than midrange hardware.

Edit: They clarified and it's what I expected:

Also note that the minimum is created with Low settings and 1080p gaming in mind and Recommended with High and 1080p.

#420 Yung-T, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020