1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Sweet - IPO blew up and is up a ton
    Sour - I got 0 shares

I also signed up for GoodRx so guess we'll see if I get any...

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought the SNOW IPO would hit $$170-$200 by the end of the day on hype alone. Yeah, I kind of missed that. lol. I was watching that thing go up to $319 after open. Crazy trading range on crazy volume this quickly. Their CEO is making bank on his shares - he was the CEO of ServiceNow and made something like $500 million off those shares. He has over 5 million shares of Snowflake, so he just "made" over $1 billion assuming the price sticks around where it is.

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I’ve been trading and investing in stocks for 15 years now and never have I been so conflicted about my next move. On one hand there is some 1999 stuff going on...on the other hand hand Powell gonna Powell. I bought some MSFT the other day and hopefully AAPL is in the midst of one of its 30+ percent corrections that it’s prone to having every few years.

In the meantime I have JPM, BA, V, UNH and some other blue chippers on my radar.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on some JPM and BA, but every time I look up, there's more bad news about financials and Boeing seems to turn out more bad news than planes lately. I own stuff like PGX that I think about dumping every day, but it provides a steady dividend, so I keep it. Not to mention I keep thinking "can financials do any worse" and "why sell at the bottom?" Of course, those financials keep screwing me over, so...

Culp had some "good" (?) news about GE today and that stock popped. I keep thinking that one has bottomed out or is close to bottoming out, but I'm still too scared to buy it before I see more good news from the economy in general and things like the airline industry recover. I may go ahead and start a small position in it and DCA down if it tanks.

I wanted to dip into other sectors than tech for a while now and jumped into DE, DHI, etc. a few weeks ago, and that's worked out to balance the tech sell-off. Stuff like FCX, GLD, SLV, etc. have worked over the past few months. AAPL, CRM, and NFLX have taken a beating lately, but they also kept my portfolio up big during the downturn. Same with BABA. If AAPL tanks more, I'll just buy more. Some people say don't expect it to drop much more while others are looking for a $80-$85 price (damn!). I'm wishy-washy on NFLX, but I've been in that so long, I'm not too worried for now. I held onto NKE, O, SBUX,and BRK.B (go Ted & Todd ... lol) during the downturn, and those have worked out. Stocks I'm looking to add to if there's a pullback : MSFT and WMT. I probably should've sold MO long ago, but I hold it for sentimental reasons (don't ask me why...). Come to think of it, I think I've had those shares almost as long as you've been trading! Then there are the gambling/homerun stocks I'm in that drive me nuts every day : TRNE, GRWG, PLUG, SPCE, etc., that I have to watch damn near every day, but try to ignore.

My only issue is that I may be in a bit more than the 20-25 stocks I want to hold at any given time. It's still not bad because I can still follow those stocks and the market since most of them aren't stocks I'm going to be tracking on a daily basis - they're almost set it and forget it types for the immediate term anyway.

Plowman, Dream Sequence and whag00 like this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

keeping lots of cash on the sideline, to be ready for these ERS runs
    [​IMG]
    i exited early yesterday AM, when the heavy selling began, profit-taking and using the funds to get into the SNOW ipo. TSM goes Ex-Div today,
    exacerbating the negative market momentum, tanking again. i expect to see an extended consolidation. TSM's next ERS will be wk 3 in Oct​

meanwhile, its counterpart has also been tanking /basing/forming a floor ~ 76
    [​IMG]
    AMD's next ERS will be the last Wed in Oct

CRWD has been under heavy-short selling pressure; expect the trading action to fall to near the 20dma.
    it appears that the shortists will control trading actions for couple more days/wks. next ERS is in wk 4 Oct 2020

[​IMG]

#11545 adoo, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    CCity Zero, noscrusir and saitou like this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

food for thought

selling @ ~ 200 x revenue

[​IMG]

selling @ 45 x revenue

[​IMG]

selling @ 16 x revenue

[​IMG]

selling @ 5 x revenue
    [​IMG]

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol @ 200 x revenue.
    how is this not a bubble?!?!

MSFT and AAPL reached 199 and 108 respectively.

@Dr of Dunk did you buy?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah. MSFT was trading around $200 for months, then took off to around $230 when the Tik Tok rumors started and were confirmed. I'll buy more if it drops to around $170-$180.

AAPL would have to drop a ton. Maybe below $80 for me to think about it. It's doubled since the March lows, I think. Not because I don't want to buy it, but because between the shares I've held for years in it, owning a lot of SPY when the market tanked, and the fact I also own BRK.B which owns a ton of it, I'm probably overweight it.

I've actually been diversifying away from tech the past few weeks with positions in DE, DHI, GNRC, holding FCX for a few months, etc. I'm thinking about adding DOW (been staring at this for about a month or two) and GE (long-term moonshot that will probably disappoint me. lol). I've owned SBUX for years and if it dips below $80 again, I'll buy more. I'm also looking to add to my dividend VZ possibly as a "boring dividend" play. I may also finally sell my NFLX I've held for years (this will be tough because I've gotten attached. lol).

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bought MSFT @201 today.

whag00, CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed on WMT & MSFT. Got in the latter today. Already in WMT sub 135.

SLV has been beastly...spent a glorious week there a month or so ago.

UAL, GOLD, X, and FCX have been and will continue to be part of my rotation.

CMCSA is at the beginning of what should be a monster roll.

BBY is also a big buy here.

Check out SCCO & LTHM too.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I bought FCX back in June, and it's done pretty well. That's another one I only bought half my position in that I may need to dip into more. I've been in GLD since last year and SLV since July. I don't plan on selling any of those anytime soon, though I do have a stop set on SLV of around $22, I think.

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but it seems like it could be another rocky day -- we'll see.

CCity Zero and Plowman like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man I really screwed up on SLV. forgot when posted about to roll more options forward.... Oooooo well, glad you're making money on it!

X I was hoping infrastructure deal but even without it, it'll be able to be replayed I bet - like you mentioned.

On BBY what were your thoughts?

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Finally bit the bullet and bought a bit of CRM today with some of the money I was intending to use for SNOW. Hate myself for not buying this earlier.

Hopefully market doesn't go crazy over Unity. Hope I can pick up some.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

there are stocks that made for earnings runs.

for me, CRM is the best one.

invariably, open CALL positions 3+wks before ERS, sell on the Fri before ERS.
    works like a chime.

tho i play the CRM earnings run every quarter, i don't own CRM stocks, cos it's just too expensive.
    plus, i am already heavy into tech (AAPL, MSFT) stocks​

#11554 adoo, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Sajan, CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  15. whag00

Such a beast of company/ stock. I bought some IGV in July. It’s now fallen back to where I bought it at but it gives me good exposure to crm, adbe, and msft which I already own.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

do you know when does IGV pay the dividend

17. whag00

Should be soon...they last paid in late June before I bought. It’s usually a negligible amount though based on what I’ve read.

18. adoo

adoo Member

igv pays once a year, so u bought it after it x-div

19. whag00

Yes...it looks they paid 7 cents in June. I bought some in early July. Not in it for the dividend so I don’t really pay attention to that stuff.

but it is getting spanked today...

20. nsng20

nsng20 Member

Tillman and LCA about to merge into GNOG 1-2 weeks.