1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bra Bra Sources: John Lucas to be interviewed by Daryl Morey for HC vacancy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Sep 16, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

There is the only reason that we can't even entertain trade ideas for this dude. It sucks....but whatever.

I just dont see how running it back is gonna do anything better for us. Every single team worth anything is gonna get better and we have nothing to improve our roster. And the Warriors are also coming back. Every single guy on our roster is a year older as well.

The only thing that would save this team is getting a trade for Lillard......and that is impossible.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Forget the assets for a minute. The Harden & Russ relationship. Can Harden "decouple" the relationship enough to realize there is a better basketball fit out there and "authorize" Morey to trade Russ? I just don't know. And it's why I am not even possibly contemplating any Russ trades.

Then again, I never thought the Rockets would trade CP3 either.

daywalker02, Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. The guy has called more trades accurately than our insiders here. Shockingly accurate.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

If Westbrook was okay with the deal, I am sure Harden would be okay with the deal. Remember Harden was told by Morey that Westbrook wasn't likely to be a Rocket and was fine with it....

However to me the bigger concern is that the Rockets need to look at teams like Denver and Miami and Toronto that are essentially basketball factories at all levels. They need to work on their basketball development and make it a priority through the draft or international signings, to start producing internal player options. The Rockets can train them and develop them in the culture they want. That requires a coach willing to play young players as well. It is absurd that over the last 5 years the only "wing" the Rockets have developed was House and he doesn't really fit their ideal mold.

Right now people are sleeping on the Nuggets player development system..... not a coincidence that Toronto last year, the Heat and Nuggets and Celtics this year are doing well. They are full of guys that were developed to play the way their respective teams want them to play.

Deuce, fattz, JoeBarelyCares and 4 others like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Does Houston have enough time in Harden's career to transform into a contender with in house developed players? I'd say it's probably too late but it's definitely not too late to develop for when he's in the twilight of his career. Some sort of hybrid where the product on the court is win now but allows some younger guys to earn minutes, which we didn't see much with MDA. Harrell was neglected even as he played great, He refused to play Harty once Capela got hurt or Bruno for spurts after Capela was gone, Chriss who looked completely terrible here shined once he got to GSW, Gary Clark never got a real shot to play some. I think you can have 2 guys like that getting 10-15 MPG and still have a top 3 seed. Instead MDA went pedal to the metal every single game.

This is why i love Kenny Atkinson. Lavert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Joe Harris, DeAngelo Russell all developed under him in a 2 -3 year span. That is a way to kickstart building a team while also having a coach who can gameplan with the best of them. Outside of Russell, those type of guys are people the Rockets could realistically add in the second round or even out of the D-League.

Little Bit and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree. Since that pulled hamstring left us right on the doorstep of a title, the team has been focusing entirely on finding the missing piece of the puzzle, the one thing that will get us to the finish line. Unfortunately, that came mostly as the expense of acquiring and developing young talent. We've been pretty fixated on 3&D wings lately, I'm a little surprised that Chris Clemons managed to get on our radar.

Nook, HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s fine Russ stays then flip Gordon to either sactown for a combo of

Joseph
    Giles
    Barnes

Or Indiana for

Turner

Russ
    Harden
    Barnes
    RoCo
    PJ?

Russ
    Harden
    Roco
    PJ
    Turner

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Backing down is not in Luke’s DNA.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

No, it wouldn't necessarily be too late. Look at the young players in Miami this season for example. It is hard to know how quick players will or will not develop. Some of the problem for the Rockets has been a complete lack of draft picks, but a team can still attempt to develop role players and that did not happen in Houston. IMO it was due to a lack of depth in the organization from a coaching and player development stand point.

I like Kenny Atkinson as a candidate as well.

HP3, treyk3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You cannot be viewed as a bball factory when you have essentially blocked a major source of acquiring talents..... the draft.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Duncan Robinson being undrafted and not being on the Rockets is a crime. I cannot believe that didn't happen.

There are definitely one or two undrafted or GLeague guys a year that impress. I really think Bruno can be that guy for us next year and he should be resigned. Additionally I'd try to buy into the First round.

Rudyc281, fattz and D-rock like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Doesn't surprise me actually.

Morey or any other staffer didn't have the 'eye' for the ultimate role player for a long time.

PJ and Roco were already good and they waived Roco the first time.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Lucas is all about development. Lucas is all about relationships. Lucas is all about respect and responsibility. Lucas is also all about Xs & Os. He understands superstars, too. His failures make him who he is today. —> the right person to lead the Rockets.

Rudyc281 and napalm06 like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with your point, but i think Lucas can keep it real.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Word. If you're gonna change a culture, sometimes you're gonna have to change personnel. We need a coach that has the experience of winning championships. Sam Cassel, Tim Duncan

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

They need it to. Thats the problem. MJ and Kobe were challenged by Phil Jackson and they had far more currency to object or get a coach fired than Russ and James. Our guys have to be challenged the only guys I see doing that is Ty Lue, JVG and maybe Sam Cassel

napalm06 likes this.
  18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

And Thats why Morey needs to go. I dont think he can do this. All those teams have brilliant basketball minds running the team. I repeat Basketball minds not a ONE DIMENSIONAL BASKETBALL MIND. WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE UNTIL HE IS GONE. We all know why he is still here and that's to secure Tillman's money objectives

19. fattz

fattz Member

What has led you to believe Lucas would back down from them? I don’t personally believe he would put himself in a position of 100% authoritarian and nor should he or any other coach with today’s players. That is were relationships are made or broken. He would / should ask not tell. (Will you do this because of that—> If he gets a no, ask why, then explain it again. Yes, the coach is the leader and the responsibility falls on him; BUT bring over aggressive and telling/yelling doesn’t work). If that doesn’t work then the player is uncoachable.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm....okay, I'm not defending James or anything....I'm just asking genuinely. What's the justification that James needs this stern coach who wont back down from him? Like where is the evidence here that he doesnt listen to the coaching staff and does his own thing? Like....the only coach he's ever had problems with is Mchale? Is Kevin Mchale supposed to be this hard nosed guy who challenges players??? I guess Cp3 would be a point in that favor.....but there isnt much evidence that James wanted to ship Cp3 out, just that he wanted Russ.