1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Have you called into a sports radio show?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arkoe, Sep 16, 2020.

?

Have you called into a sports radio show?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it, but a lot of people are retired or work from home or listen in from work and have nothing better to do.

arkoe likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

thought about it, but calling and driving is dangerous so i decided against it.

arkoe likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i called and spoke to rudy t

my life is complete

4. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Never. Had a friend said he was on hold for well over an hr. I got better things to do.

Jontro and arkoe like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I called in and talked to Jose Lima when he was blowing up. John and Lance had him on regularly when they were with 610.

Think I talked with CP once and have talked to Salisbury about movies. I really don’t listen much these days though.

6. Buck Turgidson

Who was the guy from LA who hated, hated, Houston?

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Petros?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Loved Art Bell, first place I heard about the chupa cabra and the aliens behind the hale bopp comet. He had some shows man, I remember this dude he had on named Dannion Brinkley who survived being hit by lightning multiple times and had these visions. None of the visions came through as I recall. I did buy two of his books though so he got me.

9. Buck Turgidson

No, not him.

No worries, but I still cannot think of the guy. He was a total *******, LA style.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know why, but people who call into radio shows are consistently uninformed morons talking out of their asses.

It makes me think, is everybody r****ded, but we don't know it because most people we hear on TV or the radio, who are just a tiny minority of the population, are educated and sound what we consider as "normal"?

11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I always get a kick out of these threads where people are anti sports radio. I enjoy it in the car. I won't go out of my way to listen to then outside of it though.

CometsWin likes this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I call in to In the Trenches on 790 every now and then.... I'm cool with N.D Kalu , so most of the time I don't wait long( maybe 5 minutes max) ... I usually call to bash BOB just for fun...

arkoe and TWS1986 like this.
  13. Roscoe Arbuckle

I had a promo ad done to one of my calls. Around 2004.

Nook and IBTL like this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Awesome. I called his show to ask him if what I heard was true that his favorite movie is The Commitments. He laughed and said it's definitely one of them. Russ Small was confused as he had never even heard of the movie.

Buck Turgidson and IBTL like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to stay up late listening to AM radio for the same reason. That SMALL chance that CRAZY news would come down the wire and you'd be among the first to know. 24/7 digital content and online discussion wasn't what it was today (obviously, lulz).

Then that Art Bell music would come on... really shifted the tone. I'd get a kick out of it occasionally. His listeners are all Qanon people now I assume.

arkoe, Buck Turgidson and TWS1986 like this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

It's a no win situation. They get the last word. And they will always have a take which should differ from yours in some way. The best case scenario is they don't turn you into a moron. Gostkowski has a better chance of success than any caller. Unless your calling in to the Gostkowski show, which then gets really interesting.

17. elrond

elrond Member

I pretty much only ever listened to sports radio in the car. Never called due to the whole driving/talking thing. I found it's better than listening to music if I'm starting to feel a little drowsy. Can't really ever recall listening much outside the car, probably only when we're in the middle of a good playoff run back in the day. Didn't have cable growing up, so if we were playing at home, that usually meant I had to follow the games by radio.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I remember when you called in after the Cougars beat the Red Raiders. You lost a Clutchfans bet, right?

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

That was with Matt Jackson in 2009ish, and yes, MJ let CF know I was calling in.

The 2004 one was me talking smack against a sports better about Kansas beating Tech, which was preposterous. I called in being myself and said "bet the house" to anyone listening that Tech would win.

Tech lost, the promo aired, and I had around a dozen friends of mine call to tell me about the promo ad mocking me.

marks0223 likes this.
  20. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I called in to Hannah Storm when she was on 97 Rock to answer a triva question on a dare to give a smartass answer. She asked what was the longest strike ever in baseball. I answered that I saw Andre Dawson throw a 400 foot strike from dead center once.

Called in to RIch and Charlie once.

I won tickets to Quarterback Corner a show that Giff Nielsen and Warren Moon hosted. They asked all of us to submit questions and mine was on of 3 that they selected and I got to ask it on TV,

Buck Turgidson, CometsWin and arkoe like this.