1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just threw up in my mouth over those choices.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Kenny Atkinson, Chris Finch, Stephen Silas.

I will say these names over and over and hope that one of them appears.

IF not them then I want a relatively unknown guy that is brought in to be a wunderkind. Like @Nook mentioned Charles Lee. Give me someone with fresh eyes that can jolt this team into a winning organization.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Gimme Alvin Gentry. As Sammy’s associate HC. Whoever ran Rox D this year should remain.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

These choices are much more palatable.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think Atkinson got dealt a bad hand in Brooklyn and can do better here.

Rudyc281, saleem and treyk3 like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Will Hardy would also be an awesome hire. 32 years old. Let's just get weird.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good names.

Rudyc281, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I guess I don’t really care.

Van Gundy has awesome takes and represents Houston nationally like he was born and raised here. So there’s that. No idea what kind of coach he would be at this point though.

xiki, jiggyfly, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Alvin Gentry with Elston Turner as assistant coach would be closest thing to actually re-hiring MDA.

If not as HC, I hope Rockets bring in Gentry as an assistant in addition to Turner.

Not my first choice but not a bad choice either.

xiki and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

THIRD time*. Only coach in history to blow it three times

bratna8 and D-rock like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mark Jackson “has a strong intuition as far as understanding basketball”... :eek:

D-rock, Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Actually Coach D'Antoni had a huge part of the Rockets defense this season. The Rockets were struggling under Turner.

xiki, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what happened to him with the Nets?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think Becky will be a great, great coach in this league when she gets her shot.

Super legitimate candidate that needs to be considered.

Corrosion and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I would literally hire DD before I’d hire Kenny Smith. :D

jiggyfly, treyk3, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Will hardy is interesting and wonder what Morey thinks of him.

Very young but has done it all with the spurs organization.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is what I think that the Rockets will do.

We are going to see the Rockets make a monster push to improve defensively with the hope of being a clear top 3-5 defense in the league. I think they will be willing to take a step back offensively if they can improve their defense. The idea being that they can rely on their defense in the playoffs, that it will keep them in games when they shoot poorly and it will help cover some of the warts they have with Westbrook.

I suspect that they will try to address two weaknesses. I think they will look for someone to play inside like an Al Horford or a Serge Ibaka. These are guys that can switch and play inside well enough and will not kill the Rockets on offense. They also will allow the Rockets to give PJ Tucker more time at the 4, and let Covington to move around on the floor more. If the Rockets cannot add a solid defensive 4/5, they will fall back on straight wings.

Second, I think we will see the Rockets attempt to add a really good defensive point guard to the roster. Ideally they would want a guard that can either shoot or create some but ultimately will likely have to settle for someone that is a streaky three point shooter. I could see the Rockets go after someone like Kris Dunn or D'Anthony Melton or Gary Payton. Having a strong defensive point guard or swing guard will help when Westbrook is struggling on defense against someone like Chris Paul.

Third, I suspect the Rockets are going to target a coach that is considered a really detail oriented coach that has a "process" for doing things and that will establish a culture. The Rockets will also make more of a priority getting a top associate coach and assistants.

The Rockets will strongly explore trading Eric Gordon for an interior player that can defend and shoot a little, like Al Horford.

The fate of Danuel House will depend on the next coach, but he most likely will be back because he was playing well and costs little money.

waytookrzy079, SC1211, treyk3 and 3 others like this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would trade Gordon to the Bucks for Lopez. They need a guard that can actually dribble and we need a big that can actually shoot.

19. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on who you believe.

Those that like Atkinson claim that he was exhausted and wasn't getting the support he needed by Kyrie Irving. They claim that he is an excellent teacher and a perfectionist that did an excellent job of developing players but simply could not keep coaching a group of guys that would not put in the effort.

Those that do not like Atkinson say that there was a mutiny, and that Kyrie wanted him out because he is full of himself, and while he coaches well, is a blow hard...... and they say the Nets never had a winning record under him.

I personally watched the Nets a decent amount and thought he did a great job developing players and he also made strong adjustments at half time of games.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just FYI....

Eric Gordon makes 16M
    Al Horford makes 27M

Philly would gladly do that deal. Hard to see Tilman taking on an extra 11M.

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.