1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was there ever backcourt duo that won?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmelo, Sep 16, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

The pistons lineup was.

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    R. Wallace
    B. Wallace

Those days it wasn't as positionless. Rasheed was a power forward. Playmaking ran through Billups and their backup PGs.

bmelo likes this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bad boys - ok
    SPLASH brothers... idk man Draymond is an allstar
    Spurs-you forgot about greatest pf to ever play the game

what i meant was there is no winning without premier big/forward and rockets have no premier neither big or forward. Our best three players are 6’5 6’3 and 6’3. Rest of the squad is just standing and shooting three, cant create or gravitate nothing

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Exactly... 2 premier bigs, 1 premier big forward, shooter and floor general. Thats how balanced basketball team is constructed. Lakers just run through us and they are the most balanced roster in the league. We cant rely on 2-3 guys creating everything out of their asses because result will be the same every year - methodical basketball will counter this bs

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

And thats what i am talking about. I would even live with PJ at 4, RoCo at 3 and some ****ing playmaking big finally.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, young fella, the world began even before you were born. Or even an old broken down f*rt like me.

topfive and bmelo like this.
  6. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

The Jet and Mad Max. Duh.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

James Harden and Chris Paul if not for injuries and Scott Foster :(

People always forget how big of a component straight up luck is in winning a title... and Rockets have had none of it for years. Though it's, at best, debatable whether Foster's continued existence and sniping of our games is just bad "luck".

... Of course, this year's loss had more was more than just bad luck. Westbrook is just not very good, and the micro ball strategy is questionable.

topfive likes this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

Dumars is a "forward"?

What color is the sky in your world?

9. the shark

the shark Member

Best backcourt ever IMO!!

xiki likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

I was talking about Klay

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Didn't forget Duncan by any means. I'm just saying you can win with a great backcourt (Magic/Cooper for example) but all those teams also had a notable big.

Rodman
    Green
    Duncan
    Kareem

etc...

That's where I think we lost the battle.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Klay is an old fashioned shooting guard.........who shoots

not dribbling doesn't make him a forward

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You might be the only one who considers Harden small. He literally is our best post defender. By your logic he is our center.

HP3 and steddinotayto like this.
  14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Klay is 1 inch taller than Harden and has a smaller wingspan. I don't think that's why they won a championship.

s3ts likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah harden and roco are versatile. slide them to the 2 and the 3 and you've got a big team. make them the 3 and the 4 and go small.

I don't mind micro-ball, but you have to be able to matchup against everyone. can't just play your style harder and harder and hope the opponent adjusts. the 2018 roster could play big, grit and grind, micro ball, iso, motion, fast break, switch everything, man to man and funnel into Clint, they had multiple ways of beating you.

I would love LMA for ego/tucker. solid 3 point shooter, rebounder, size, can post up when everything is falling apart. all the great teams have that option.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clyde and Pearl

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Also billups had rip hamilton...
    The celtics had sam cassell or rondo pierce ray allen
    Kyrie and lebron who is a sf /sg/pf/pg or whatever he is.
    Dumars and thomas
    Curry and thompson...

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I didn’t like your original post, but you explain yourself better here. You know what’s really sad that I just started to think about:

If you take away the Warriors’ series, Clint Capela’s play in the playoffs was just as good as most teams’ bigs if not better short of a few top 10 players in the league.

In 5 series he was excellent and outplayed the opponents’ bigs in 3 of them.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

superstar dynamic duo vanvleet and lowry just carried their team to a ship last year

20. HP3

HP3 Member

We may or may not ever win a title playing small ball or whatever....but I really hate the arguments against small ball It's always a bunch of angry dudes yelling at clouds saying "back in my day." Saying "x" doesnt work until you win is a terrible way to evaluate things. Not to mention this type of mentalitiy stifles innovation and creativity. Its the enemy of progress.

In short...this thread isnt forward thinking.

fckbandwagons likes this.