1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to consider Ty Lue or JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 15, 2020.

1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Griffin after firing Blatt:

Blatt was a dumb b**** in the locker room. Exact opposite of Lue.

They fired him right after getting blown out by GS by 50.

Result? Title over the same team.

#61 LorneMalvo, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Top 10 playoff offenses by ORTG:

1. 2017 Cleveland Cavaliers (+13.7)

2. 2001 Los Angeles Lakers (+13.6)(Lue also played on this team)

3. 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers (+12.5)

4. 1991 Chicago Bulls (+11.7)

5. 2017 Golden State Warriors (+11.6)

6. 1987 Los Angeles Lakers (+10.7)

7. 2014 Miami Heat (+10.6)

8. 2012 Oklahoma City Thunder (+10.3)

9. 1985 Los Angeles Lakers (+9.9)

10. 1993 Chicago Bulls (+9.8)

Source.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...lue-kevin-love-great-coach-first-things-first

Kevin Love on Ty Lue:

Didn’t even know he said all this. It’s exactly what I posted yesterday in the first thread about this news.

4. sungjina

sungjina Member

Hard pass on Ty Lue. He brings zero toughness and discipline. Harden will be skipping games to go to the stripclub with Lue as coach.

Woukd prefer either JVG or Kenny Atkinson.

Corrosion and RocketRed84 like this.
  5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Tyronn Lue drawing up winners for Cavs at crucial times

“When a team goes on a run and we call timeout to stop the run and come out of a timeout and you score to stop the bleeding, it’s good for your team. Those are big plays,” Lue said. “Those are plays you need in the playoffs.”

For all the attention Celtics coach Brad Stevens receives for his ATOs, and rightfully so, Lue is equally masterful. The Cavs ranked second to Boston this season in points off ATOs, according to Synergy Sports, scoring 1,195 points on plays designed after timeouts. But Lue was more efficient than Stevens. The Cavs scored 1.01 points per possession on ATOs, which ranked second ahead of the Celtics and trailing only the Houston Rockets.

‌‌‌ It has been...”

https://theathletic.com/63541/2017/05/29/tyronn-lue-drawing-up-winners-for-cavs-at-crucial-times/

Over 2000 plays in his playbook.

7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

And there’s more. I’m a huge fan of logic. Logically my opinions are based in evidence based reality.

Nobody has brought any logic when saying Lue wouldn’t be a good coach ANYWHERE. Let alone a place with an MVP.

Lue is fantastic which is why he’s getting looked at all over the league. Tilman will look at his youth and loaded track record and probably hire him if he pays enough.

And it’ll easily be the best move he’s made since he bought the team because there’s actual substance and evidence for what to expect.

Ironically the idiots here will hate it but this is the same place that got excited for Joe Johnson, Westbrook, and Carmelo in 2019. While calling CP3( another guy the league loves right now), trash.

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

It's not a matter of how long it's been since he coached, it's a matter of how much the game has changed, and how the way he talks about it doesn't imply he understands that.

9. izeroi

izeroi Member

Ya, what is there to realize? Blatt wanted things ran his way but lbj finally had enough so Blatt got fired. Lue comes in and allows lbj to call the shots. This isn't some big secret.

HP3 and RocketRed84 like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lue turned down a 3 year $18 million deal from the Lakers because he wanted a 5 year deal. For the logical cats on this board, can we see a pathway where our cheapskate owner will pay more than $6 million a year for a coach?

11. pass_to_Hakeem

JVG is my choice!!!

Dacamel, JuNx and riko like this.
  12. riko

riko Member

I’m starting to get intrigued. I’m still a JVG but I’m getting intrigued by this guy

13. SilentAssassin

How about neither, especially JVG? Could have sworn he already had his chance with the Rockets, it’s the same old ****, re-tread coaching rotation, it’s just tired and predictable. I would much rather see them do a Jason Kidd type of choice, someone with new energy and hopefully an innovative approach to the game.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If gundy gets Alvin Gentry sign me up if not his time has passed and I don't miss first round exits from his stagnant offense!

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Has anyone pointed out that JVG has a chance to be the first head coaching hire of the last two Rockets' owners? I was reading some old articles about the 2002 hire and it sounded a lot like "culture change" to "defense, defense, defense, hard work, attention to detail..." I can't believe it's been 13 years since Van Gundy coached the Rockets. Time flies.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like JVG the guy but . . ..
    How many playoff series did he win during his tenure?\
    Any 60 win seasons?
    How many Top 3 seeds?

What EXACTLY did he do to earn such a desire to have him back.

Rocket River

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t want either

For all those set on JVG, are we gonna act like he’s some master tactician? Like he’s not MDA-like with his short rotations and love for vets? We lost a game 7 by 40. No fight whatsoever that game.

we’re not even sure how he’ll do in this modern game

Is he gonna be open minded and adaptable, or the twin brother of Thibs? We see how Thibs looks trying to coach in today’s game.

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

One yard line?

19. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Man, I hate the idea of both of these hires.

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member