1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Dantoni felt disrespected by organization, chose to quit on plane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Way too many Tilman relatives on this thread.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps Tilman will be forced to declare bankruptcy and sell the team to a billionaire who is passionate about basketball and the Rockets, and is willing to spend what it takes to put the best team he can on the floor. I know I’m not the only one here with that fantasy. Too bad that it’s a fantasy. The way Tilman is going, it’s going to be difficult to attract talent to Houston, whether it’s on the court or coaching from the sidelines. Color me surprised if he doesn’t pick a rookie head coach who will take a relatively low salary.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wish I could retweet this...

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Wow Lebron drives coaches out of town without even being on the team.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not disrespect. More like he knew he was going to be out.

6. riko

riko Member

Can’t disagree with that

7. 34to11

34to11 Member

If only that were true.
    If he were a fanboy owner then he would fanboy-out like Cuban and Ballmer for example. True fanboys spend money on their toys and pet projects.

No, Tilman is quite the opposite. He's a businessman masquerading as a fan. He'll give lip service to winning but his actions scream "cost cutting".
    As a result we have an exact reflection of that: A faux contender with a couple of marquee names but very little investment in the details that really make a champion.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is somewhere in between. He has trade value for a medium tier player, especially if a decent pick is added.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He lives and breathes Houston and bleeds rocket red.

It’s every Houston rockets fan dream to one day own the rockets and win a championship in Houston again.

10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Just throwing some articles up about MDA leaving at previous places and, well, sounds very similar to what's occurring here. Every time he leaves, there's rumors about him not instilling a culture and not holding folks accountable and he seems to make rash decisions about his job when he doesn't feel appreciated...this seems no different as it's happened in each place he's been at.

Looking at what happened the next season, the Suns got worse, but they didn't lose any of their offense...their defense got worse. Of course, a lot of that may have had to do with Shawn Marion getting hurt and Amare Stoudemire not being able to stay healthy while also hiring Terry Porter and then firing him during the season. The Knicks actually won their division the year following MDA's resignation, improving quite a bit under Mike Woodson. The Lakers got worse, but they were already bad Kobe missed half the season and Byron Scott continued to prove he wasn't a great coach.

So, basically, Tilman can be a schmuck...MDA can be a schmuck...I have no problem with Tilman asking for a change in culture as long as he's willing to follow through with it...and the next coaching hire is critical to the Harden-era Rockets.

https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/s...cle_80e32f68-f0d0-5a1e-8f06-df40d1ae37e7.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...y-carmelo-anthony-forced-knicks-coach-to-quit

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/05/01/mike-dantoni-resigns-lakers-coach-los-angeles

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

none of that matters when you don't understand the intricacies of the game of basketball and how you build a team capable of actually winning. And when you don't listen to the people 100X more qualified than you to make actual decisions. He makes them on his own no matter what.

he runs it like it's Joe's Crab Shack when it's a professional sports team. Tilman is a top as one of the worst owners in professional sports

Richie_Rich, Nook, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah, no good word for Tilman here and Morey is also to blame, but man is the future going to be bleak under this prick. Make no mistake though, Alexander was similar in his dealings. Just not publicly trying to make the coach look bad and using it as a negotiation tactic. **** Tilman!

D-rock likes this.
  13. 34to11

34to11 Member

Yep.
    Note the Nene "deal".

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tillman SUCKS ASS!!!

I can't believe we got this TURD as an owner.

DD

D-rock, Deuce and daywalker02 like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I totally agree that he loves this franchise and it’s been a dream of his for a very longtime.

That said, you can’t cut every corner, lie through his teeth about it and also think he can pretty much do it on his own or at least solely his way.

I don’t like the know it all attitude. Show some humility and mean it. Let the basketball ops people do their jobs. I’m not sure he’s capable because he’s such a control freak. I’m damn good at my job, but there are always things to learn and I have to trust my people. It takes everyone to be successful.

When it comes to something such as being a great booster for UH, he seems to thrive. This is a whole other animal and at this point he’s shown me sh**. He can love the team all he wants, but this isn’t the restaurant business or donating funds to the university. Yes get in there and be a part of it, but these guys at the top know what they are doing. Stop forcing BS moves and then lying about all the details.

As a fan since 81 I’m really concerned for the first time since I can remember. He thinks he knows everything and he’s going to do what he wants. I’m not convinced that his methods will be conducive to a winning culture.

Richie_Rich, IvanLCPM, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tilman Fertitta may very well be the worst thing to ever happen to the Rockets

Richie_Rich, HP3, DVauthrin and 6 others like this.
  17. photojoe

photojoe Member

I keep thinking I can't dislike Tilman anymore, but I swear everytime I read anything about or from him I dislike him even more

Richie_Rich, DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I actually don’t disagree with the sentiment either.

Tilman made the right move and has the right instincts. He’s just a bit unprofessional.

playing Green/Capela over House/Nene/Faried was the wrong move.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Westbrick and Tilman are competing against each other for this title.

I mean westbrick is 3 more years Tilman is the owner for well past that

HP3 and J Sizzle like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is true, I never thought I'd discover it but he is a snake.

Trying to use the media to his advantage, that is another low point.

He wants to be portrayed in the public as the fan, nobody is that naive to fall for that trap.

D-rock likes this.