1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Dantoni felt disrespected by organization, chose to quit on plane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 15, 2020.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

ive yet to see anyone on this forum say how he was outcoached.

D-rock likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fertita is the one behind the Westbrook disaster.

DD

Chuck Nevitt and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

"outcoached" and "doesn't make adjustments" are just things every fanbase says after their team loses, whether it means anything or not. just like the winning coach is somehow always a brilliant tactician (until he gets to the next round and loses because he has no clue what he's doing). somehow there's always another adjustment to make that would have solved things, as if a team hasn't been working on things all year and mostly figured out what they can do and what they can't and as if no strategy can be the best strategy if it didn't work. it can never just be that russell westbrook was terrible and no matter how much you adjusted, the lakers were just going to not guard him and muck everything else up.

ultimately, there's only so much adjusting that can be done if a player/players can't make certain basic plays like hitting any shot or driving into the paint without a turnover (much like us just leaving guys like dort or roberson open). we used him fairly well in the regular season when he would just drive and kick after traps on harden, but he seemed to lose that ability in the bubble or at least post-injury. at that point there's no where on the court to hide him because he'll always be left open to double other people. i guess we could have just not played him but it seems impossible to believe that we had a championship ceiling if we just benched our second best player so you just hope he gets better. he didn't.

that's not to say there's never something a team could have done differently but the adjustment angle feels wildly overstated to me. the vast majority of series and basically all championships are won by the team with more talent. it seems unlikely that they just all have the coaches who make the best adjustments as well.

IvanLCPM, HP3, TheFreak and 2 others like this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Sorry Mike leaving Was right choice.Now we need someone who will hold everyone accountable that’s including Harden. Jeff Van Gundy or Sampson are the obvious choices. The culture of patients running the asylum needs to be abolished. If Harden or anyone plays with no energy you sit his ass

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I actually don't see the Gordon deal as a big yikes. That contract is going to actually allow the Rockets to have salary to trade. I'd bet Morey paid Gordon so much partly for that reason.

6. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I have told this story before but I was sitting near him at a bar and overheard him confidently assure his companion that Chris Paul was going to miss the third free throw on purpose with eight seconds left in this game https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=400975466

D-rock, Deuce and Nook like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This piece makes both Tilman and MDA look awful .

MDA finally grows a backbone and is “disrespected” gimme a break . Where was that fight , where was going to the press when we were being screwed vs the warriors?

MDA has massive flaws and I’m glad he’s gone . Tilman we will have to put up with . Hopefully Morey has one more rabbit up his sleeve and we can get / DEVELOP enough talent to keep competing

SORF, Chuck Nevitt, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Eric Gordon has negative value on that contract...he will require assets to move, or get swapped for an equally sh*tty contract, just at a different position

it was a bad move

DVauthrin, Rudyc281 and YOLO like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think Mike leaving was also the right choice, but there is a certain amount of professionalism you need to treat your staff with to attract the very best talent. I think it's awful how Tilman treated the situation and Mike certainly deserves more respect than what he gave him.

There is a reason that we cannot compete with the Pat Riley, Doc Rivers, Jerry West, Jeanie Buss of the world. City obviously has something do with it, but even then, those individuals treat their organizations right. Look at NY, idiot owner and they can't attract top talent despite clearing cap space for superstars over the years multiple times.

I don't want to be the NY Knicks. Hell, I'll settle for staying status quo, but Tilman is shifting us in a bad direction here.

Richie_Rich, HP3, DVauthrin and 6 others like this.
  10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

They’ve updated the wording slightly so now it says the culture reset is ‘expected to still include Morey’ so another report claiming he is probably safe. Can probably edit the thread title

HP3, D-rock, BHannes2BHonest and 6 others like this.
  11. TheSource

TheSource Member

interesting that the Rockets felt like they could've got Lebron James in free agency

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We had CP3, it was at least within the realm of plausible.

HP3, DVauthrin, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We could probably use an equally bad contract at a different position. I'd gladly take the PF/C version of Gordon on a bad contract. If the alternative to spending that money is EG walking I'd rather spend the money. This team is capped out with a cheap owner.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Please be safe, Mike.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gordon hasn't been good this season though.... value dropped.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where was the piece about Lebron, must have missed it.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Doesn't matter to me. He can be useful to some teams and he's salary to trade. The Rockets have missed out on deals over the past year or two because they have no matching salaries to get one done.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

On the Plane to the bubble?\
    After Game 2?

Rocket River

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lakers tick off both boxes.

Adjustment and good coaching

Talented team

Not sufficient shooters is their only flaw but that could be overcome as percentages go down with the opponent.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The only problem is that Gordon is on the beginning of a 4-year, $80m extension. I guess that last year is not fully guaranteed, but still, that's quite a bit of money for any franchise to take on. I think we have to think of equally bad deals (or worse) that we can trade for, however the incoming player would bring a positive value for the franchise.

Al Horford is the guy I want considering how limited the market will be for Gordon. Kevin Love is another option.

The problem will be matching salaries.

Chuck Nevitt likes this.