1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a path that leads to a Championship in the Harden era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 14, 2020.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You want to trade our 3 best players (including a perennial mvp and a former mvp) for bad contracts and picks from 2 teams that will be in the playoffs?

I heard the Kings are hiring. You sound like the perfect fit.

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Crap on Westbrook for getting injured before the playoffs.

2. Defend Luc for getting injured before the playoffs.

3. Troll!

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always look at it this way.

If you took this team, and replaced Harden with any other player in the league, would it be a championship team? If you could trade Harden for any player straight up - Curry, LeBron, Leonard, etc.

And the answer to me is no. No one could make this team a champion, in fact, they may get you a worse result.

The issue isn't Harden.

YOLO and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And a real PG and move James back to SG or even SF

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The easiest way for fans is to imagine replacing Player A for Player B but aspects like chemistry, style of play are left out.

The issues with Harden isn't just on the court, it is his influence and input which players Morey should get.

Now it worked with Chris Paul but I recall his buddy Ty Lawson didn't work out and now Westbrook.

He just isn't a good associate GM giving advice. Should shut up more and draw up more plays for teammates.

Easy likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And the probability to win a title is greater if he moved to the Leastern Conference.

Even Canada won a title.

7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

We cannot. No picks, and a bad max that prevents us from getting good players. Said bad max player will also be injured for long spurts of times. We will tank without the benefits of tanking. The results of our suffering will go to another team.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This team needs more young talent. There's a clear ceiling to what the team can achieve if they're rolling out past-their-prime vets. As good as Jeff Green is or as good as Rivers could be, there's a ceiling there. The unfortunate part is that we don't have picks (or specifically high enough picks) to select players that can make impact sooner rather than later. This, of course, is a moot point if whoever we select as coach is reluctant to play rookies either because he don't want to develop young players or is more worried about W-Ls.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly, no, I do not believe there is a path to a title anymore.

I was probably the most pessimistic person here about the Westbrook trade (maybe tied with @Clutch ). It wasn't the picks either, it was trading the better player, better fit. Three years in a row Westbrook has been dealing with an injury in the playoffs that was used to explain why the other teams sagged off him and let him kill his team with his shooting and poor decision making.

Maybe it gets better next year and you get lucky and one his weird hot streaks happens in the playoffs, but not for four rounds.

On top of that you simply aren't good enough even with both guys at their best. Roster is weak. Piss poor shooting, not enough creators...just lacking all around but capped out with no assets to go get anyone.

Plus a cheap owner and a city/team/organization that isn't on top of any FA list and never has been.

No, I'm afraid the window has almost completely closed.

You either need to be able to enjoy the Harden years for the entertainment value or you're going to be really angry.

Easy, YOLO and steddinotayto like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’ll challenge you to that ;)

justtxyank likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I was never a fan of WB. Thought the trade was foolery.

My opinion, is that our only hope is to get rid of Westbrook for more 3&D guys.

12. justtxyank

I think a Westbrook trade is fantasy land. Adding a significant player to the team is also probably fantasy land.

Will likely dump some salary then use the MLE to add a few vets off the scrap heap and sign some non guaranteed deals.

YOLO likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your right, it is a fantasy that the Rockets would even want to dump Westbrook. But there would have to be some team out there that would take him I would think, in exchange for any assets of value. He is not that far removed from being an MVP and still a very good player. He just doesn't fit well next to Harden.

14. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

1. Hire the right coach. One who can establish a culture and who makes in game adjustments and doesn’t leave his rotations short.
    2. Trade Eric Gordon and House now for a big or to clear cap space
    3. Sign any of the following players:
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Marco Belinelli
    Kyle Korver
    Jerami Grant
    Trez
    Christian Wood
    Joe Harris
    Jamychal Green
    Kelly Olynyk

And any other 3 point shooter that hits at a clip above 40%.

This team needs three point shooters and bigs who can at least hit a mid range jump shot if not a 3.

15. justtxyank

Yeah I think the fantasy land part is the Rockets making the deal, not someone trading for him.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only thing you will get back from trading Westbrook is another terrible contract, just like what you get from trading Chris Paul's contract. Nobody is going to give you valuable assets to take Westbrook's dead weight off your hands.

And we don't need more 3&D players. We need BETTER 3&D players. And good 3&D players aren't as easy to get as we think. They are also not cheap.

We are the oldest team in the league. I feel like climbing a ladder to get out of the sewer only finding out the lid is locked when I get to the top. With our depleted assets, I don't know how we can significantly improve. The only positive assets we have are Harden, Covington, and Gordon. Westbrook is a negative asset. All the other guys have too low values to get you anything that matters. And we have no picks after all those LTS deals and the Westbrook trade.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

18. dmoneybangbang

Incoming Horford.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think LeBron and Curry would make this team better, not Kawhi though.

LeBron does what Harden does but better(steamrolling through defenses with power to get to the rim) and playmaking.

Curry does everything that Harden does at an elite level but only slightly worse but is infinitely better in leading a more sustainable less predictable offense that is harder to gameplan for in the playoffs. Curry isn't as strong of a penetrator as Harden but more than makes up for it in his skillsets.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Only if Kawhi, Lebron, and Curry are all out for the playoffs.